Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Question about halos on a non RS camaro

I want to instal halos on my non RS camaro but I want them to look like the ones on the RS camaro.

I don't like the mirrored background of the non rs camaros. Is there any way to acheive the background look of RS lights?

Is there a part # that I can order of just the black housing that goes inside the RS light to hold the ring?
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
The stock headlamps need the reflective housing. Changing it to black with the stock bulbs won't be good at all for night driving.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
The stock headlamps need the reflective housing. Changing it to black with the stock bulbs won't be good at all for night driving.
I plan to do an HID conversion though..

I'd like my lights to be as close to RS as possible.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Check mine out AAC Amber kit....

Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
tjk_art

you've got the mirrored background tho. that's what I want to replace.

I was thinking about getting the non RS HID conversion from AAC, and their cool white halos.

Then I wanted to replace the mirrored background with the black background in RS camaro light fixtures.

Does anyone know if this is possible??
Old 07-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Orange... looks great... as do those rims.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
FutureCamaroOwner

Drives: White 1SS/Black Stripes
Just buy the conversion kit and get the OEM lights lol
FutureCamaroOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCamaroOwner View Post
Just buy the conversion kit and get the OEM lights lol
What do you mean?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #9
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I think he means get the OEM HID lights (RS Lights).

Even if you convert to HID, you still need the chrome to reflect the light, unless you install a Projector HID retrofit kit, then you can just paint the chrome reflector.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
TJK, I sorted through this myself for about 2 months. Here's the deal, even if you buy the RS headlights for your car from GM I think they are 800 bucks a piece. They wont directly work on your car anyway. There is an after-market work around that would allow for you to use the RS headlights. Anyway, best cheapest way to go is HIDs (see my avatar), then get AAC halos installed, look at some of the Synergy guys. (see Shufflers sig pic above) You cant exactly mimic the RS look. Personally Id rather give AAC my money over GM for making it such a pain by not being cheaper to change headlights.

Edit for correction: People are posting that the Ottobody one is working, I had read someone complain otherwise previously. My bad.

Last edited by Eric's Blue; 07-04-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Eric's Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Orange... looks great... as do those rims.
THX, they are for sale......

I did the brembo brake upgrade and guess what, they don't clrear the big breaks.....

Make me an offer,LOL
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
tjk_art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
TJK, I sorted through this myself for about 2 months. Here's the deal, even if you buy the RS headlights for your car from GM I think they are 800 bucks a piece. They wont directly work on your car anyway. There is an after-market work around that would allow for you to use the RS headlights. Anyway, best cheapest way to go is HIDs (see my avatar), then get AAC halos installed, look at some of the Synergy guys. (see Shufflers sig pic above) You cant exactly mimic the RS look. Personally Id rather give AAC my money over GM for making it such a pain by not being cheaper to change headlights.

Edit for correction: People are posting that the Ottobody one is working, I had read someone complain otherwise previously. My bad.
I don't wanna buy the OEM lights.. I know that they won't work with my car configuration...

I just want to get the black background in the fixture. Why is GM's HID able to have a black background but the AAC HID has to have a mirrored background ?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
You will not be able to get the black background and keep youre hallogens or HID bulbs.
That mirror background that you are refering to is what actually projects the light forward, if you get rid of that you will not get light.

You need to go back to the basics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
The black isn't a background. It's part of a projector housing that works with the OEM HID setup.

The bi-xenons that can be retrofitted into the halogen housings are set up to use the reflectiveness of the lense to produce light.

It sounds like you want the look of the OEM setup, but don't want to pay that much. Unfortunately there really isn't any other option at this point to not have the reflective housings. You either have to swap to RS lights or live with the reflective housings. At the moment there isn't any kit for a middle ground. Unless you want to custom build it yourself