Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
sub upgrade= 2 mtx 10" and a 200 watt amp

on the gm performance site where it breaks down the sema cars go to the section for "black" and go to additional options and it list the sub option as 2 10's with 200 watt amp upgrade
Jferrell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
I saw that also.. Does anybody have any info...
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm keeping my Alpine 12" Type E's over anything by MTX. Plus, my Kenwood amp is 600W.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
isnt a 200 watt amp pretty small
Jferrell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
yep

GO WITH JL!!! for amps and subs. I'm telling you...you will NOT be disappointed!!!

on the other hand, i bet they aren't that bad...but IMO, you can NOT go wrong with JL. Anyone owning them will swear by them for life.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
yep

GO WITH JL!!! for amps and subs. I'm telling you...you will NOT be disappointed!!!

on the other hand, i bet they aren't that bad...but IMO, you can NOT go wrong with JL. Anyone owning them will swear by them for life.
+1, and don't forget about PG (Phoenix Gold), they're old school stuff like the titanium line were, in my opinion, the best car audio products ever made. I LUV JL's stuff and ya get what ya pay for, but for me, my PG stuff is goin' in my new 2SS / RS.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
camarofanatic

Drives: 2010 camaro
anyone know how hard it will be to connect subs...looking at the dash it looks hard to try and pull out...any way around it...how you guys going to hook up ur subs i would love to put my alpines in
camarofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99ta View Post
I saw that also.. Does anybody have any info...
The info is already on the site here somewhere. The subs are listed with the other accessories. I don't think a price has been put on that though.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
guess who is bringing a pic to this party!? the info states 1 amp, but this defiantely shows 2

subs are pretty easy to install - but it depends where the factory amp is too. My current car was the easiest i've ever done, factory amp in the trunk on the left, battery in the trunk on the right....it took a whole 5 feet of cable/wire to the amp/sub inbetween the two lol
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
guess who is bringing a pic to this party!? the info states 1 amp, but this defiantely shows 2

subs are pretty easy to install - but it depends where the factory amp is too. My current car was the easiest i've ever done, factory amp in the trunk on the left, battery in the trunk on the right....it took a whole 5 feet of cable/wire to the amp/sub inbetween the two lol
I don't know if you noticed but those subs are BA not MTX. That is definitely not what you get with the sub option checkbox on your order form.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I don't know if you noticed but those subs are BA not MTX. That is definitely not what you get with the sub option checkbox on your order form.
I agree, it would be a cold day in hell before something like that was offered as a factory option, or even a dealer option.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Craig

Drives: '01 Z28
If it's offered as a dealer accessory then it will surely be a simplified, plug & play stealthbox type setup with an integrated amp, something that even a dealership wrench monkey can't screw up (too easily). It will probably tuck away into a wheelwell so that the meager practicality the trunk will have isn't totally obliterated, and certainly not the complex, time & cost-intensive pro installs we're seeing on the SEMA cars.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

that pic is from the BLACK Camaro ...it may not be what the factory option is - but it IS the car the OP was refering to.

watch the video of the car, thats where i snagged that pic from
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I sent a PM to JohnnyCamaro to find out if that setup is the same as what you can order. They have the same config on both Black and the Dale Jr. cars.

I'm thinking it's not simply because it kills the functionality of the trunk and passthrough.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
no that pic is from dale jr's car that he designed. so i would guess he asked for those to be put in there. the car was built with his insight, and ideas. there is a video on here somewhere that tells about it.
camaros and vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #16
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaros and vettes View Post
no that pic is from dale jr's car that he designed. so i would guess he asked for those to be put in there. the car was built with his insight, and ideas. there is a video on here somewhere that tells about it.
well damn - who ever pieced together those SEMA vids messed up then. if u watch the camaro Black video u'll see this setup
Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
LOL I have a Polk MOMO DVC 8" sub rated at 200 watts RMS paired with an MTX 200 watt RMS amp and to be honest....it sucks! 200 watts can barely max out my 8"...how could it push 2 10's? Back in the day I ran a 2000 watt monoblack "black widow" amp to 2 10" kicker S7's backed by 3 Optima batteries and that was decent. I'll pass on this joke of a sub setup.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #18
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
LOL I have a Polk MOMO DVC 8" sub rated at 200 watts RMS paired with an MTX 200 watt RMS amp and to be honest....it sucks! 200 watts can barely max out my 8"...how could it push 2 10's? Back in the day I ran a 2000 watt monoblack "black widow" amp to 2 10" kicker S7's backed by 3 Optima batteries and that was decent. I'll pass on this joke of a sub setup.
just because its not a stereo on wheels doesnt mean it sucks.some people like loud music,but also want to keep their hearing.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
just because its not a stereo on wheels doesnt mean it sucks.some people like loud music,but also want to keep their hearing.
I highly agree, the 2k watt setup he just described is more than enough to rattle the fillings out of your teeth, 98% of the planet just wants really good bass not to have the highs drowned out by it and the screws to vibrate out of the trim panels.

And before I hear that i dont know what I'm talking about...... I used to install this stuff for a living.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Yea, Rogue, that thing where you can hear all the freqs.....I think it's called Hi-Fidelity...or in today's terminology - puny bass-shy system!!

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto ordered-10/18/08
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
1_2Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
I understand what you're saying and believe me I enjoy a clear audio system. What I was trying to say was I had two 10" subs running 2000 watts RMS...200 watts is only 10% of that setup and I don't even see 200 watts RMS being able to hardly move two 10's. 200 watts RMS rocks my tiny 8" sub, but even so it is not powerful enough for the Camaro...this will have to be loud enough to hear over exhaust/engine note.

Look at the Mustangs. They get the Mach 500 and Mach 1000 system...that's 500 watt or 1000 watt. I have demo'd the Mach 1000 and I thought it was very nice for a stock system. I like my music powerful and clear...not just loud. The Mach 1000 provided that. By the way it should be noted that the Mach 1000 is using two 10" subs as well.

If they have only 200 watts RMS for the sub they should be using a single 8" or 10" max.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I understand what you're saying and believe me I enjoy a clear audio system. What I was trying to say was I had two 10" subs running 2000 watts RMS...200 watts is only 10% of that setup and I don't even see 200 watts RMS being able to hardly move two 10's. 200 watts RMS rocks my tiny 8" sub, but even so it is not powerful enough for the Camaro...this will have to be loud enough to hear over exhaust/engine note.

Look at the Mustangs. They get the Mach 500 and Mach 1000 system...that's 500 watt or 1000 watt. I have demo'd the Mach 1000 and I thought it was very nice for a stock system. I like my music powerful and clear...not just loud. The Mach 1000 provided that. By the way it should be noted that the Mach 1000 is using two 10" subs as well.

If they have only 200 watts RMS for the sub they should be using a single 8" or 10" max.
You do not need 1000+ watts to have good clear chest thumping music over your exhaust note. Its all about matching the components, using the correct box type and size for the sub, keeping the power strong by using good wiring, and using quality equipment. 200watts RMS to run 2 10 inch subs is not bad, especially if the amp can max at 500+. If you have light weight subs that don't have a MASSIVE magnet the size of the whole speaker cage, you would be surprised what they can put out! I know because I have built systems of all types using some of the cheapest and also some of the most expensive stuff. I had a single Rockford Fosgate SVC 10" sub in a thin ported box with only 300 watts max going to it in an 87TA that would have knocked your socks off.

Im mean no offense here its just I have been doing this for a LONG time and have heard every system you could imagine and the big problem is you need to realize that just because you bought the best of everything, doesn't make it sound good. Theres a lot of tuning involved, component matching, and espcially having the right size and type of box. That and for 99% of the population even those who want a "big booming system" sound quality outweighs SPL.

PS It would be a cold day in hell before the Ford Mustang Mach 1000 system was pushing out 1000 watts RMS to those speakers. Thats 1000watts max over the whole system. In reality if you maxed out the stock BA amp, and whatever amp comes with these subs on the Camaro, it probably comes close to or over 1000 watts as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
1_2Many

You're preaching to the choir here. I have built more audio systems than I can count...been doing it for 15 years now. I agree completely with everything you just said...especially regarding matching the speaker to your power.

One of the most intense "chest thumpers" I have ever experienced came from 2 12" Lanzar entry level subs and a cheepie amp. The reasons it hit so hard was the band pass box it was in was properly tuned for the subs, there was a 64 band analog parametric EQ and this was in a mid 80's Toyota Corolla which has basically a perfect wedge hatchback shape.

I'll be completely honest...my 8" Polk does not sound good because I have it in a shallow sealed box that just barely meets the airspace requirements. I am planning on designing my own ported box for it...I've had good results with my box designs. My finest box was in my '91 Firebird...if you know anything about 3rd gen f-bodies than you'll know how irregular the trunk area is under the hatch. That box consisted of 17 individual panels to properly contour and give maximum airspace. I had a 2 JL audio W-3 12" subs in there running through old (the good years) HiFonics Zeus amps. I was measured at 148 dB with this setup.

My wife has a Smart ForTwo with a teeeeenie sub under the seat (the woofer can't be larger than 4"), but amazingly it sounds awesome! What I like about it is it sounds like the bass is coming from the door speakers which is always my goal. I like it all to sound natural and not so seperated.

All I know is more power to you if you enjoy the MTX setup in the Camaro, but I think the two 10" subs just take up too much space and add too much weight for what they will do. I'm planning on building a small fiberglass enclosure for my current 8" sub to save weight...I'm guessing it will sounds as good or better than the MTX setup.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro

btw...those BA racetrack subs shown above are awesome. I removed the factory cab wall in my AVY and replaced it with a custom enclosure with 2 of the BAs...they give awesome bass, very clear....I am betting that one of them in the camaro in the right enclosure would be killer!!
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #25
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
come on guys.....there are pictures of this option on this site

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote