Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
jagssrsbeast

Drives: inferno orange ssrs
My engine cover gone bad need helpp please

Ok so im no painter and i tried to paint my v8 engine cover i painted the the smooth silver parts chevy red orange (dupli color engine enamel) with a primer. It look real good after it was done but them i didnt like how the rough black plastic part looked dull so i tried to paint that a gloss black same type of paint. I put the primer on and it came out perfect. So then i tried the gloss black after 30 mins it started shedding and looking all messed up, but in some parts it doesnt look bad I dont know what to do now can anyone please give me some advice I would really appreciate it. thanks
jagssrsbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Pics please.

If it's what I think it is then it's because you didn't let the primer cure first. Unfortunately for plastics there is a 7-10 day cure time in between colors. If you don't wait this time, when you go to apply the second color the paint will crumple up and look something like snake skin (this is very important if you are using can spray paint). Depending on how bad it is your only real option is to sand it down completely and do it again. This is why there is instructions on the paint can.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
jagssrsbeast

i have a pic i just dont know how to put it up lol
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
When you go to make a post, hit "go advanced"
On this page towards the bottom, you can find a button called "manage attachments".
Clicking on this brings up a window where you can find the picture on your computer and select it. Then hit the upload button.
Hit "submit post" and you're done. =)

If you need more help, pm me.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Did you sand the surfaces before you started to spray the primer? Sounds like the paint just didnt bond. OR ... perhaps you didnt clean the cover before you started spraying?? IF there was any dirt or oil on the surface, the paint wont adhere, and you will end up with paint either rolling of flaking off.

Pictures will tell us what might have went wrong.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
jagssrsbeast

I didn't sand it but on the smooth silver surface of my v8 cover I painted it orange with the primer and it came out perfect. I didn't try to sand the rough black plastic parts on the sides and middle.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
jagssrsbeast

some parts came out smooth. and it is dirty right now bec its been sitting in the garage bec i haven't know what to do
Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
PieManMighty
Manual 6 Speed Tran.

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro IOM
Send a message via AIM to PieManMighty
I bought the kit from Paintscratch.com and it came out perfect, never had a problem. Clean it good.... use an Adhesion Promoter first before applying any primer, basecoat, or clearcoat. Check out my link that says "Covers" in my signature
PieManMighty is offline   Reply With Quote