Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS
cam wear is this normal

This is the oem cam with 9000 miles on it. are these lines normal. i cant feel them with my fingernail. there on 2 lobes

2012 2SS/RS M6 SIM, Painted Carbon Flash rally stripes, Elite CC, 3.91 gears, dynoed by J&J Speedshop New Era ported TB, CAI intake, Heritage Grill, Pat G Cam Motion cam, 25%Fluidampr, Melling 296 Oil pump, Katech C5-R chain, Cloyes LS2 HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunions. Improved Racing oil baffle, crank scraper, Monster Billet release bearing support, 18" remote bleeder, ARH 1 7/8" LT headers w/cats, TWM full Shifter, BMR sways, trailing arms, toe rods, delrin cradle bushings, BK039 rear control bushings, front bushings. Solo Mach-XL exhaust
JCunningham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
none of my cams have come out looking like that.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I am no expert ,but with only 9000 miles and it being a stock roller cam that looks strange. What kind of oil are you using ? Are you warming the car up to temp B4 romping on it ?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
That not oil related wear. You have some bad lifters causing that.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
Looks like a chip from something got stuck under the roller. Does the roller have a flat spot.

This is why race blocks and heads get deburred. You don't want any tiny casting chips off the edges falling down on the cam.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Looks like a chip from something got stuck under the roller. Does the roller have a flat spot.

This is why race blocks and heads get deburred. You don't want any tiny casting chips off the edges falling down on the cam.
THIS.

You have some debris in there. If it were a spun lifter it would have torn the camshaft up something fierce.

Get her all cleaned up, swap that stick, and change the oil and filter a couple times.

Good luck sir!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
JCunningham

this is my stock cam that i pulled out befor i put the Night Fury cam in. GM installed this cam. I will be pulling the nf and changinging lifters.inspecting cam bearings.
2012 2SS/RS M6 SIM, Painted Carbon Flash rally stripes, Elite CC, 3.91 gears, dynoed by J&J Speedshop New Era ported TB, CAI intake, Heritage Grill, Pat G Cam Motion cam, 25%Fluidampr, Melling 296 Oil pump, Katech C5-R chain, Cloyes LS2 HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunions. Improved Racing oil baffle, crank scraper, Monster Billet release bearing support, 18" remote bleeder, ARH 1 7/8" LT headers w/cats, TWM full Shifter, BMR sways, trailing arms, toe rods, delrin cradle bushings, BK039 rear control bushings, front bushings. Solo Mach-XL exhaust
Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Here is a pic of my cam after most likely 5-8 k stock.... I have been cammed since march of 2014 and have about 14.5-15k on my car, the stock cam was in from nov 2012 to mar 2014 and I drive about 5k a year usually..( have made some long road trips and love riding around now....

So no it is not normal (and this pic the cam still has some oil on it), I know you most likely had a problem before you swapped cams with those lines it did not help from most likely foreign objects in oil. I know this has to have Pissed you off, I would gladly give you my stock cam for free J . Good luck, and don't give up on the driven racing oil, TSP now recommends it along with a lot of others, and my cam is still going strong along with my stock oil pump and stock chain, and I know its more radical than the night fury, I use .675 springs and have .639/.623 with 235/239 and 112 lsa.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body/scanner LED, DRL rewire, Custom badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 .
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
JCunningham

Kip from cam motion sent me a private message on here and I talked to him on the phone today about it. He thinks it was a problem with the junk in the stock cam. He recommended I change the lifter which i have ordered. LS7 lifters and ARP head bolts. GM gaskets. He also said if cam bearing were bad id know it by now.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
Guinness2

Drives: 14 Camaro 1SS RS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Here is a pic of my cam after most likely 5-8 k stock.... I have been cammed since march of 2014 and have about 14.5-15k on my car, the stock cam was in from nov 2012 to mar 2014 and I drive about 5k a year usually..( have made some long road trips and love riding around now....

So no it is not normal (and this pic the cam still has some oil on it), I know you most likely had a problem before you swapped cams with those lines it did not help from most likely foreign objects in oil. I know this has to have Pissed you off, I would gladly give you my stock cam for free J . Good luck, and don't give up on the driven racing oil, TSP now recommends it along with a lot of others, and my cam is still going strong along with my stock oil pump and stock chain, and I know its more radical than the night fury, I use .675 springs and have .639/.623 with 235/239 and 112 lsa.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but you are making 500 RWHP cam only on a Mustang dyno ?
2000 Infiniti I30: My daily beater
Guinness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

I have dual mode. Electric power steering. Stainless power headers with HFC, also a vmax and under drive pulley with CAI and scoop and a .639/.623 lift cam..... and the best tuner I could find who custom mapped my fuel curve and dyno tuned the car. And to put the thread back on course; Hey J: I would get a camera to look in your engine to inspect your bearings...they are easy to rent or even buy now to look inside a engine and inspect...like harbor freight may have one even to check the cam bearings just for giggles, they are just like a long flexible tube.. Good luck! Having a engine eat up the cam from deterioration should in effect send metal into the oil and can damage bearing surfaces amongst other things.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body/scanner LED, DRL rewire, Custom badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 .
Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
JCunningham

the good thing is i never found any metal in the oil and the blackstone report shows everythings normal. So I just recieved everything to do the lifters too. so cam and lifters. I have a mirror i can stick in there but ill look into renting a camera. I dont like returning things. maybe my brother could use a $275 rigid camera.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

good luck J you deserve some that's for sure
Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
z3R0fo01

Drives: 2014 1SS RS 1LE tvs2300
Yeah good luck man!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #15
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I'm thinking it would take a piece of debris to cause that line on the lobe. I would also expect to see pitting on that lifter roller. You have to remove the head to get the lifter out though.
I hope you didn't get raped on the lifter price. LS3, LS7, LS9, LSA are all the same lifters and can be had for $125 here with free shipping. http://shop.proservsolutions.com/GM-...-guide-kit.htm
Good luck.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #16
JCunningham

i got new lifters at summit $126. but it looks like i need new lifter trays to because they will not hold the lifters. There not cracked and only have 10,000 miles on them. Im thinking i might have to get some Morel 5290s
Old 03-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #17
JCunningham

the NF cam has a line on the #3 intake lobe. 4 of the lifters on the dr side have lines in them.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #18
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Any small imperfection on the roller will cause a line like that because it's always contacting the cam on a different spot as it rotates over thousands of miles. Gm is not micropolishing these things. It's usually not from the roller getting stuck. If you had a flat spotted roller the cam would look much worse and would have destroyed itself in a few hundred miles. My cam looked like that when I swapped it. Ive seen others like this. The new cam has been going strong for 250 miles. If you want to replace the lifters anyways its not very difficult. (Tech for 16 yrs.)
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
JCunningham

pass side had 2 lifters with lines you could feel
Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #20
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Install a magnetic oil drain plug and change the oil and filter a couple times should catch any small particles that may be in there. Or go big and pull the block so it can be rinsed thoroughly.