Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
MIT'13

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT / RS
Unhappy Flat Tires

Hey all,
So for the 4th of July weekend I drove my 1LT RS from Long Island to visit my girlfriend in DC. Having had the car for just less than a month, this was by far the longest trip I've taken it on, and she drove beautifully. At one point though, there were 2 or 3 2x4s sitting in the middle of the right lane, which I swerved to avoid but still clipped my right front tire. The next morning I turned the car on and immediately received a warning that the tire was down to 20 PSI (from an average of 38 or so normally). I tried to limp it to the nearest gas station to pump some air into it, but then the PSI dropped to 3, so I had to stop and put on the spare in that wonderful 100 degree heat wave we had this weekend. The spare actually held up all the way back to Long Island since I kept it under 60. I finally went to my local STS tire dealer to order a new Pirelli Pzero 245/45 103Ym 20' and the guy said it would be $270 including installation and it would take up to 5 days to ship from their warehouse. In addition, a new spare tire would cost $175.
Does anyone else with an SS or RS who's been through this think this sounds about right?
The car barely has 1000 miles on it, so would a new tire make steering any different?
And am I really going to have to wait 5 days to drive her again???
Thanks
MIT'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
The 270 installed is about right. Got to tire rack and see how much the tires are themselves, around $240ish or so. The spare price seems high to me, but I don't really know how much they are because i have never bought one.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
They couldn't patch it?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
PostaL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
They couldn't patch it?
An object like a 2X4 can cause sidewall damage, which to my knowledge is irreparable (Via Patch at least) and can be a ticking time bomb as a blowout.
PostaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
MIT'13

Yes there was sidewall damage. There was a long split going right along the seam at the edge. The guys at the shop pumped it up and put it underwater to find where the leak was, but it was draining a lot, you could hear air hissing out and everything.
Patchwork was unfortunately not possible.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
MagsSS

Drives: 2SS RS Camaro
At least you have a spare.
MagsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
you didnt say why you neeed a new spare?
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
I had to buy two new tires a week ago...front and rear passenger. Noone in my area stocked the tires and I could not get them through the Chevy Dealer where I bought the car.
Finally one local business found the two I needed...in two different states. They wanted a total of 580 bucks, installed.
I decided to order through Tirerack. They give you a choice of places to get them installed and they shipped the tires directly to Goodyear (where I chose).
I ordered on Tuesday and the tires arrived on Thursday. I got them for about 450 total. However, Goodyear charged a hundred bucks to install them.
I had been run off the road into a curb and that is what caused the blowouts. So I had to also get an alignment. That was an extra 65 bucks.
So there is no cheap remedy when you need tires.
Hopefully the prices will stabilize a little when all of us start needing replacements due to normal wear and tear.
Just be prepared to shell out some cash now.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
..and you need a new spare tire already?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
MIT'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
..and you need a new spare tire already?
If you had read my first post, I drove all the way from past Washington D.C. to Long Island with it. Most people get around 300 miles out of their donut tires, but this trip alone was much longer than that. There's nothing wrong with my spare and I don't NEED a new one, but it may not be such a bad idea. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
MIT'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
I had to buy two new tires a week ago...front and rear passenger. Noone in my area stocked the tires and I could not get them through the Chevy Dealer where I bought the car.
Finally one local business found the two I needed...in two different states. They wanted a total of 580 bucks, installed.
I decided to order through Tirerack. They give you a choice of places to get them installed and they shipped the tires directly to Goodyear (where I chose).
I ordered on Tuesday and the tires arrived on Thursday. I got them for about 450 total. However, Goodyear charged a hundred bucks to install them.
I had been run off the road into a curb and that is what caused the blowouts. So I had to also get an alignment. That was an extra 65 bucks.
So there is no cheap remedy when you need tires.
Hopefully the prices will stabilize a little when all of us start needing replacements due to normal wear and tear.
Just be prepared to shell out some cash now.
Yeah I was prepared for the prices they were charging. You were lucky that you got yours shipped so quickly though. Mine just arrived at the STS store today and I'm having them mounted and balanced tomorrow morning.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
hypnatic

Drives: Victory Redhead
alot of ppl are sellin their stock tires since they upgraded (wheels and/or tires) u should be able to find a decent tire(s) for a lower price, it will be used but it will probably be the best price IMO... good luck
hypnatic is offline   Reply With Quote