Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Dr.Bender

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Upgraded GMPP Factory performance exhaust?

good? bad?
Dr.Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Buy after market exhaust. cheeper and better.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
bad
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
cwalms

Drives: 2SS Red Jewel Tint
Send a message via Skype™ to cwalms
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
bad
Can you elaborate?
cwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Many who knock it..haven't had it installed...

I admit the price is a little high and you will get more bang for your buck going aftermarket, but it completely squashes any issues with dealers voiding the warranty. Personally, this car is not a daily driver so I don't think I should have any issues if I only put 2-3k miles on the car in a year. If it is an everyday driver and you think you may use the warranty, make some calls...ask your dealers. If they are ok with you installing aftermarket then def go that route...borla, corsa, magnaflow, flowmaster, all have great sounds. To me the GMPP sounds like the touring exhaust from borla...very quite, but WOT sounds great.

No one here should make a blanket statement and say a dealer will still honor his warranty...even on Axle back, because they may not. I live in Orlando and only have 2 dealers in a 20 mile radius....they honor after market axle back only if they install it.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I have the oval, not round GMPP axle-back on my car. I have the GFX, so the round tips wouldn't fit, got the model with no tips and had custom tips added. Yeah, it's pricey. After adding the tips mine was about $900, for a few hundred more I could have had MBRP cat-back 3" system with even better looking square tips. But I bought on impulse, and the dealer had it in stock.

Sound a little louder and deeper than stock cans. I do have some drone between 1,600 and 1,900 RPM under slight load conditions. Probably not loud enough, even for an old fart like me. I may add headers in a few months, maybe that will wake it up a little more. Using high flow cats and eliminating the second stock cat should make it louder, and hopefully will eliminate the drone (may need and X-pipe and remove resonators to do that completely)
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Lizard96

Drives: RJT - LS3
had it installed. sounded awful, and made them put the old one on, got my money back and got a cheaper and BETTER system installed. don't keep it if you can.
Lizard96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
winston2ss
YDLYLB

Drives: Cgm 2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard96 View Post
had it installed. sounded awful, and made them put the old one on, got my money back and got a cheaper and BETTER system installed. don't keep it if you can.
well that pretty much settles it for me. magnaflow catback here i come!!
winston2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
ImportImage

Drives: 2012 GTR, 2009 GTR
Send a message via AIM to ImportImage
the GMPP for the 4th gens was one of the best exhaust systems you could get, but for the 5th gens I would definatly take a look at magnaflow if money is an issue and if you have a bit more to spend look at the Borla, Corsa.

I am do not like the flowmaster from my experiences with the 4th gen's.
ImportImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
From what i understand Borla makes the GMPP exhaust (axle back). It's not too loud, but sounds great when you get on it. Everyone has their preference though.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
From what i understand Borla makes the GMPP exhaust (axle back). It's not too loud, but sounds great when you get on it. Everyone has their preference though.
Correct...contracted out to Borla.

And while it's not a bad piece, for the money, there are other options.

I don't even think that we sell a Catback for more than the GMPP Axleback.

Just a thought, but for what you could buy an aftermarket Catback for versus the GMPP piece, you'd have money left over for other things.

Lots of other things.

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
~Stacy~

Drives: 10 camaro 13 cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I have the oval, not round GMPP axle-back on my car. I have the GFX, so the round tips wouldn't fit, got the model with no tips and had custom tips added. Yeah, it's pricey. After adding the tips mine was about $900, for a few hundred more I could have had MBRP cat-back 3" system with even better looking square tips. But I bought on impulse, and the dealer had it in stock.

Sound a little louder and deeper than stock cans. I do have some drone between 1,600 and 1,900 RPM under slight load conditions. Probably not loud enough, even for an old fart like me. I may add headers in a few months, maybe that will wake it up a little more. Using high flow cats and eliminating the second stock cat should make it louder, and hopefully will eliminate the drone (may need and X-pipe and remove resonators to do that completely)
I have the round tips and just added the gm gfx a few weeks ago and it fits
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
Dr.Bender

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Thanks for the input. I ordered it with my new car (before i asked). Hope it doesn't suck.
Dr.Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bender View Post
Thanks for the input. I ordered it with my new car (before i asked). Hope it doesn't suck.
It won't you'll be happy you have it instead of the stock cans.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Many who knock it..haven't had it installed...

I admit the price is a little high and you will get more bang for your buck going aftermarket, but it completely squashes any issues with dealers voiding the warranty. Personally, this car is not a daily driver so I don't think I should have any issues if I only put 2-3k miles on the car in a year. If it is an everyday driver and you think you may use the warranty, make some calls...ask your dealers. If they are ok with you installing aftermarket then def go that route...borla, corsa, magnaflow, flowmaster, all have great sounds. To me the GMPP sounds like the touring exhaust from borla...very quite, but WOT sounds great.

No one here should make a blanket statement and say a dealer will still honor his warranty...even on Axle back, because they may not. I live in Orlando and only have 2 dealers in a 20 mile radius....they honor after market axle back only if they install it.
You refer to "his warranty" like the dealer personally decides and pays for the warranty costs without any GM involvement. A, it's not "his" warranty and B, GM has the final say if the warranty is to be denied. Then you say "they" meaning the dealer, honor after market axel back only if they install it. What warranty honoring are you referring to, the GM powertrain warranty or the aftermarket exhaust system warranty?
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
You refer to "his warranty" like the dealer personally decides and pays for the warranty costs without any GM involvement. A, it's not "his" warranty and B, GM has the final say if the warranty is to be denied. Then you say "they" meaning the dealer, honor after market axel back only if they install it. What warranty honoring are you referring to, the GM powertrain warranty or the aftermarket exhaust system warranty?
OK....maybe there was miscommunication, who knows. I never stated he would lose his warranty, only that a specific dealer can refuse repair, and yes one single dealer absolutely has the right to refuse any repairs or honor "GM's WARRANTY" after mods. I never said I agreed with that right, but just that it is a reality. This has been discussed in length across these forums, and some dealers honor your warranty after modifications..some DO NOT..and I do mean ANY modifications from the exhaust to intakes and they can chose not to honor a powertrain warranty. I fully understand nothing in an aftermarket exhaust from cat back to axle back influences the powertrain, but if those dealers want to say they refuse repairs...they absolutely have that right. You think I speak out of my a--, but I speak from experience. That is why I searched for a dealer that would honor my modifications to the 5th gen, the only stipulation they had was they wanted to install it. If they installed it (regardless of the brand) they would honor the warranty, otherwise they would not honor the warranty. I thought that was pretty fair because I wasn't going to install it myself...Now he could absolutely travel around and find a different dealership.

A) I refer to it as "his" warranty and "my" warranty, because if they state they will not honor it then I get the pleasure of paying...so it is OUR warranties that were kindly provided to us by GM.
B) Good luck with GM helping if a dealer refuses, you can try BBB, but that dealer can refuse at anytime and maybe with enough pressure and phone calls for months you might get what you want. Or why not just have them install it...I only provided the original poster with additional avenues to a painless process from my experiences.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
If it were me I would go with the Borla Atak if you want an aggressive sound. I bought the GMPP axle back street version and it's ok but I am changing mine to the Boarla Atak
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
OK....maybe there was miscommunication, who knows. I never stated he would lose his warranty, only that a specific dealer can refuse repair, and yes one single dealer absolutely has the right to refuse any repairs or honor "GM's WARRANTY" after mods. I never said I agreed with that right, but just that it is a reality. This has been discussed in length across these forums, and some dealers honor your warranty after modifications..some DO NOT..and I do mean ANY modifications from the exhaust to intakes and they can chose not to honor a powertrain warranty. I fully understand nothing in an aftermarket exhaust from cat back to axle back influences the powertrain, but if those dealers want to say they refuse repairs...they absolutely have that right. You think I speak out of my a--, but I speak from experience. That is why I searched for a dealer that would honor my modifications to the 5th gen, the only stipulation they had was they wanted to install it. If they installed it (regardless of the brand) they would honor the warranty, otherwise they would not honor the warranty. I thought that was pretty fair because I wasn't going to install it myself...Now he could absolutely travel around and find a different dealership.

A) I refer to it as "his" warranty and "my" warranty, because if they state they will not honor it then I get the pleasure of paying...so it is OUR warranties that were kindly provided to us by GM.
B) Good luck with GM helping if a dealer refuses, you can try BBB, but that dealer can refuse at anytime and maybe with enough pressure and phone calls for months you might get what you want. Or why not just have them install it...I only provided the original poster with additional avenues to a painless process from my experiences.
All I can say is if it were me and the dealer showed his hand in advance with that attitude, not only would he not get the exhaust work, he would not get any work including service or future new car sales. The same type dirt balls were the one's asking for non-refundable deposits to order a new camaro and gouging as much as $5,000 over sticker. In the case of an exhaust pipe and muffler that can in no way be cause of power train damage, the dealer demand "give me the business and I'll honor your warranty is realy nothing less than extortion.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
All I can say is if it were me and the dealer showed his hand in advance with that attitude, not only would he not get the exhaust work, he would not get any work including service or future new car sales. The same type dirt balls were the one's asking for non-refundable deposits to order a new camaro and gouging as much as $5,000 over sticker. In the case of an exhaust pipe and muffler that can in no way be cause of power train damage, the dealer demand "give me the business and I'll honor your warranty is realy nothing less than extortion.
I agree with you man, im not saying I agree with their practices but it unfortunately is there "right" as a business...no matter how sleazy it is. I even said the exhaust in no way causes failure in my first post...

The poster can absolutely hunt around for a local dealer who WILL honor it..personally I could understand them giving you issues for a tune, but not anything cat-back.

...and I just figure car sales is extortion on a daily basis. If you don't come in prepared with a price and financing in hand a majority (not all) are going to mind rape you. You are preaching to the choir, brother..
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
i got the gmpp exhaust now just waiting on the car
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
There are a couple of posts on here that make it seem that the question of honoring the warranty claim is up to the dealer. That's not exactly true. Ultimately, it is up to GM as to whether to honor the warranty claim or not. Certainly, the dealer can absorb some of that, but not all.

Anyway, let's focus on the original question which is the GMPP exhaust. As others have stated, if you don't care about the warranty, then there are other aftermarket options with "better" sound and that are cheaper. If you care about the warranty, then it is a pretty good option. I like the sound and the performance. It sounds much better than stock to me, but isn't too obnoxious. I would buy it again if I had to do it all over again. I would caution you to make sure that the tips are installed in the proper position of they do have the potential to melt the rear diffuser. I think that it's probably possible to have that happen with any aftermarket exhaust and is not unique to the GMPP model.

Finally, this isn't the best video, but this is my stock 2SSwith the GMPP exhaust.

Last edited by camaropete; 07-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.
camaropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #22
brantley847
v It bites.

Agreed...I would recommend going with the off road though. It has a similiar sound to the Borla S type and if you head over to gmpartsdirect.com you can get it for the same price as the S type.

I am getting the off road (which is louder than original GMPP upgrade) and outdoor vehicle cover for less than 900 total after shipping.

GM advertises the off road at 990 and the vehicle cover at 250.....just gotta do some shopping. If the dealer installs everything they will maintain the warranty on the exhaust as well because it is a GM product and they installed it...not a bad deal if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Quote:
Agreed...I would recommend going with the off road though. It has a similiar sound to the Borla S type and if you head over to gmpartsdirect.com you can get it for the same price as the S type.

I am getting the off road (which is louder than original GMPP upgrade) and outdoor vehicle cover for less than 900 total after shipping.

GM advertises the off road at 990 and the vehicle cover at 250.....just gotta do some shopping. If the dealer installs everything they will maintain the warranty on the exhaust as well because it is a GM product and they installed it...not a bad deal if you ask me.
My dealer added the GMPP off road to the finance contract which was cool since my co., which I have a share in, is paying for my car! Borla told me the GMPP is the same as the s type and the street GMPP is the same as Borla's touring. I later added Borla's cat back with crossover to my axle back and it all matched up perfectly.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
My dealer added the GMPP off road to the finance contract which was cool since my co., which I have a share in, is paying for my car! Borla told me the GMPP is the same as the s type and the street GMPP is the same as Borla's touring. I later added Borla's cat back with crossover to my axle back and it all matched up perfectly.
Good news..I feel more confident about my decision then, because I LOVE the S-type sound. ATAK seems a little loud and raspy for my taste. If I want to elevate the sound I may add shortys one day and have a CAI on the way at the end of the year.

I am pretty amatuer to this moding, did you notice any benefits or sound increase after purchasing the full cat back to compliment the axle back?

How do you feel about the sound overall as far as cabin sound and drone? I imagine it sounds great from the exterior.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #25
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Quote:
Good news..I feel more confident about my decision then, because I LOVE the S-type sound. ATAK seems a little loud and raspy for my taste. If I want to elevate the sound I may add shortys one day and have a CAI on the way at the end of the year.

I am pretty amatuer to this moding, did you notice any benefits or sound increase after purchasing the full cat back to compliment the axle back?

How do you feel about the sound overall as far as cabin sound and drone? I imagine it sounds great from the exterior.
I love the sound although the cabin drone in sixth gear under load between 75 and 80 mph can be a bit annoying. Borla suggested adding the cat back system with crossover to my axle back, I can get you the p# on Mon., or tacking venturis ahead of the mufflers. I added the cat back and it lowered the tone of the drone a bit. For a long trip to Toronto and back I put my stock mufflers back on. Just weld on a sleeve to the stock mufflers and they slip on in 10 min. I'm 55 years old so maybe my hearing is not as tolerant as it used to be! Outside sound is awesome!
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote