Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
tires for 20's

never owned anything that had expensive tires like these, I was on discounts site and only saw a few options for tires out there. I do like the pirelli tires that come on my car but is there any alternatives in tread design that look good for the same money or hopefully less? also what kind of mileage should i expect out of these on the hwy? i drive an assload of highway miles a year so new tires might be a yearly thing for me
Ironheadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
one warning about shopping for tires:

ALWAYS take everything with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people out there that have very little 1st hand experiences with different tires and think the ones they have are the best in every aspect.

That being said, the last 3 street tire purchases that I have made for my camaro(s) have been for firestone firehawk wide ovals. They are faily budget oriented and for the price, they perform great in wet/dry conditions. IMO if you need anything stickier than these tires, you should be looking into a drag radial. They are stickier than the stock pirelli's and are cheaper. They have a nice look/tread pattern to them. They only get so so mileage however (sorry, but if you want performance, you have to sacrifice the wear on the tires, it goes hand and hand). These are lasting longer than my pirelli's so far... I think I'm down to about half tread on them, and I have put ~6000 miles on them (my stockers lasted 12k miles), but this is with it being under a ~500 rwhp car with a few burn outs and lots of "spirited" driving.

I believe I paid ~475 for a set of 295/40/20's.

They do, of course, suck horribly in the snow.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
the pirellis are a pretty decent compound and should last quite a while. i have nitto invos on the rear wheels bc i picked up a huge chunk of metal and needless to say, the runflats didn't work lol. I love the nitto's they hook well, are actually quieter than the stock tires, but they have a softer compound so i guess they will not last as long

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
one warning about shopping for tires:

ALWAYS take everything with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people out there that have very little 1st hand experiences with different tires and think the ones they have are the best in every aspect.

That being said, the last 3 street tire purchases that I have made for my camaro(s) have been for firestone firehawk wide ovals. They are faily budget oriented and for the price, they perform great in wet/dry conditions. IMO if you need anything stickier than these tires, you should be looking into a drag radial. They are stickier than the stock pirelli's and are cheaper. They have a nice look/tread pattern to them. They only get so so mileage however (sorry, but if you want performance, you have to sacrifice the wear on the tires, it goes hand and hand). These are lasting longer than my pirelli's so far... I think I'm down to about half tread on them, and I have put ~6000 miles on them (my stockers lasted 12k miles), but this is with it being under a ~500 rwhp car with a few burn outs and lots of "spirited" driving.

I believe I paid ~475 for a set of 295/40/20's.

They do, of course, suck horribly in the snow.
475 is that for a pair? or set as in 4 tires? looks like i will be putting away a few dollars in my tire kitty soon
Ironheadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Camaro21

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I bought the Toyo Proxes 4 and they are very comparable to the Pzero's for a whole lot less $..