Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
GMParts

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS CGM
delete

delete

Last edited by GMParts; 03-31-2014 at 11:29 AM.
GMParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMParts View Post
Just a quick question,after i clay a spot,do i wipe off with a cloth ,or wait till finished and wash whole car before polishing??
I wash down with Dawn (dish washing liquid) takes all the wax off. Just don't let the car dry in the hot sun when claying, rinse it down when your done with a section.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Wash
Clay
Rewash
Dry
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish (get my point)
Wax or sealant

If the paint isn't heavily contaminated you can go
Wash
Dry
Clay
Polish as needed
Wax or sealant

The only reason to do a secondary wash is to eliminate the possibility of swirls coming in from contaminants on the surface. This way will save time, but you add a level of risk so pick your routine accordingly.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
FinalTouchDetail

Drives: Corvette
You can really do either.

Wiping the area down with a clean microfiber is fine, especially if you plan on following up with machine polishing, because any micro-scratches that might be a result of the microfiber wipe will be corrected by the polish stage.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Wash
Clay
Rewash
Dry
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish
Polish (get my point)
Wax or sealant

If the paint isn't heavily contaminated you can go
Wash
Dry
Clay
Polish as needed
Wax or sealant

The only reason to do a secondary wash is to eliminate the possibility of swirls coming in from contaminants on the surface. This way will save time, but you add a level of risk so pick your routine accordingly.

So it is okay to clay an entire car while its still wet? In order words, after I do my first 2 bucket wash, I dont have to dry the car before claying?

Since the car is black I am worried about water spots, although I realize I am going to wash the car again right after claying..

Also, should I expect the clay to remove the existing water spots I got from washing my car in the sun two weeks ago? If it doesnt remove them, should I use the vinegar/water mix or do you have a better method?

Thanks in advance!
camaro2ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Yes, you can clay while the finish is wet. You may end up using more lubrication as the water will dilute the spray down a little, but yes... you can clay a wet finish.

If you don't have a place to work in shade then it might not be a good idea though.

As long as the existing spots have not etched the clear you should have no problem removing them with clay... if that doesn't completely remove them the polishing process will.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
camaro2ssblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Yes, you can clay while the finish is wet. You may end up using more lubrication as the water will dilute the spray down a little, but yes... you can clay a wet finish.

If you don't have a place to work in shade then it might not be a good idea though.

As long as the existing spots have not etched the clear you should have no problem removing them with clay... if that doesn't completely remove them the polishing process will.
I will be pulling the car into the garage to clay it which is what I should have done before I dried it two weeks ago - my clay bar and detail spray combo shipped out today

Im definitely a noob so I am not sure how to tell if they have etched the clear but I guess I will find out...thanks again
Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
I've always washed, new bucket of soap as lube, clay, re-wash then polish and seal.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
camaro2ssblack

I plan to clay my car for the first time this weekend, but I do not plan on polishing afterwords.

Is there any need for me to wash the car again after claying?

The plan is to:

Wash
Dry
Clay
? (Wash again or just wipe down with detail spray)
Wax
Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
What about the dishwashing liquid you recomend that????

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
I plan to clay my car for the first time this weekend, but I do not plan on polishing afterwords.

Is there any need for me to wash the car again after claying?

The plan is to:

Wash
Dry
Clay
? (Wash again or just wipe down with detail spray)
Wax
When you finish claying the car (provided that you do it right), it will be dull and lifeless looking. Polishing is what will bring the shine back to the paint, NOT WAX. So if all you plan to do is clay the car and then put wax on it, I would say why bother? Do it right and benefit from all the work that claying is. Polish after claying to bring the shine back to the paint and then add wax to protect the shine you got from polishing.

Washing the car properly after claying is a whole lot cheaper, less work and better for the paint than just wiping it down with detail spray afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
What about the dishwashing liquid you recomend that????
The only reason that dishwashing liquid (Dawn in particular) is recommended to use before claying is because it strips all the wax and other substances off the car. This in turn keeps your clay from becoming dirty with unnecessary contaminants. This IS NOT something that you use on a regular basis, it is used ONLY to strip the paint of all protection.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote