Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #101
Brutal SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I just installed this yesterday and I love it! However, the hardest part is getting it to fit flush in the mailslot. I tried 3M double-sided tape, then gorilla super glue and it does not hold it flush. I will have to take another stab at it today. Peculiar how the install video kinda whizzes past this part.

This time I hope to remove the light, remove all of the 3M tape and clean the surface, and try to bend it into shape a bit more (I guess) and try re-installing it. I was afraid to bend it too much, but I guess I didn't bend it enough? I don't know...
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #102
timmy35

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
heat gun or blow dryer should be all it takes to get it into place. I agree I love my light too . i just installed a toggle switch so that I can turn it on and off from inside the car.. much better lol
Old 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #103
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy35 View Post
heat gun or blow dryer should be all it takes to get it into place. I agree I love my light too . i just installed a toggle switch so that I can turn it on and off from inside the car.. much better lol
Thanks for the tip. How much trouble is it to install a toggle?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #104
timmy35

not to hard, just make sure you have the drill lined up so that you have room for the nut on the switch lol, learned the hard way, but at least you cant see it... I mounted mine under the drivers side dash left of the hood release. there is a grounding point right near there as well ( Side wall of the foot well ) . there are some DYI posts on toggle switches, also one showing how to gain access through the firewall. both came in handy for me.

the switch itself is very easy to wire up. more then happy to help ya if you need it.

This is the switch I used, 5 bucks at radio shack . it lights up green when the light is on. which is what i wanted so i know i am not rolling around with it turned on lol.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #105
Brutal SS

Thanks man!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #106
TooFaSS
TooFass

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
Missy handles many of our dealer accounts and does get backed up with calls

You should not have to remove anything, we test these before they ship so I am really stumped here. I will talk to Melissa and see if we can send you out a new one.

I Finally got my light in the mail. tried to install it and i got the same exact issues and answers from AAC. I pulled the light out to see if its getting signal. She said try a battery, so i went and bought a $6 duracell battery and im getting the same issues. They are supposed to be sending me a replacement remote because it will change colors (after i press it 1,000 times) and pattern works (after i press it 1,000 times) but auto/Up/on/off doesnt work at all. So once my remote comes in, we'll see if it resolves my issue.
TooFaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #107
Les7311

Drives: 45th Anniv, 2SS, LS3, '07 M109
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
a must order, and wonder if this can work on my Suzuki M109?
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #108
Brutal SS

Pissed!

Update: I went back to re-install it to get it to sit flush in the mailslot. I just put a VERY light bend in it and it broke! What a waste! I will not be repeating this again!

I may reconsider if either:

1) AAC makes a scanner specifically for the Camaro mailslot application, or

2) AAC provides SPECIFIC instructions on how get the scanner to fit flush in the mailsolt WITHOUT it breaking, versus posting a video that cleverly skips over that part!

Until then, I will remain !!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #109
avacamaro
avacamaro

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Love the looks of the scanner, but scared I'm going to have the same problems.

Can't ACC just make it like the UK did. Plug and play. It would be worth $200.
avacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #110
timmy35

i never had any issues getting the light to bend. you have to use a heat gun or blow dryer though. just bending it without heat will more then likely cause it to crack.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #111
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Love to get this if only I could in purple
Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #112
timmy35

think you would have to get the RGB version if you want purple.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #113
Teamradrz1

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
OK I got mine installed today and fitment was great (although hated cutting the slots out) but I have a question/comment I could not move it over to the driver side any further without covering the IR sensor but by leaving that showing the LEDs are not centered I'm one over to far to the left. Most people will probably never notice but I'm anal and it's driving me crazy. I was able to use the heat gun and got it to lay down perfectly. So I'll live with it.

Also for you that have issues after installing I tested mine before install and it worked perfectly, after install it was sporatic and not all LEDs were lighting up just like some of you have experienced. So I found the ground (bolt for radiator hold down) was not a good enough, I removed the hold down ground off some paint and did a much better job grounding the unit and it works perfect again.
Teamradrz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #114
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamradrz1 View Post
OK I got mine installed today and fitment was great (although hated cutting the slots out) but I have a question/comment I could not move it over to the driver side any further without covering the IR sensor but by leaving that showing the LEDs are not centered I'm one over to far to the left. Most people will probably never notice but I'm anal and it's driving me crazy. I was able to use the heat gun and got it to lay down perfectly. So I'll live with it.

Also for you that have issues after installing I tested mine before install and it worked perfectly, after install it was sporatic and not all LEDs were lighting up just like some of you have experienced. So I found the ground (bolt for radiator hold down) was not a good enough, I removed the hold down ground off some paint and did a much better job grounding the unit and it works perfect again.
The IR sensor should fit through the slot, if not you may need to make the opening slightly larger.
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #115
timmy35

Quote:
The IR sensor should fit through the slot, if not you may need to make the opening slightly larger.
Think what Teamradrz is saying is that you can only adjust the light in one direction because of the IR. you cant center this light to the car. I have the same problem, but don't notice it much in Knight Rider mode . but the blue and red that split in the center of the light bar = bad. :(
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #116
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
I have the one with the IR and i was able to center it up perfectly and you cant even see the IR sensor because its tucked behind the mailslot and the remote still works perfect
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #117
timmy35

how did you manage that? IR is line of sight.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #118
SS King

Quote:
Just like this>
Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #119
SS King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
Update: I went back to re-install it to get it to sit flush in the mailslot. I just put a VERY light bend in it and it broke! What a waste! I will not be repeating this again!

I may reconsider if either:

1) AAC makes a scanner specifically for the Camaro mailslot application, or

2) AAC provides SPECIFIC instructions on how get the scanner to fit flush in the mailsolt WITHOUT it breaking, versus posting a video that cleverly skips over that part!

Until then, I will remain !!!!!!!
This also happened to me i tried bending it like the directions and it broke but ACC was nice enough to send me another at no charge this time i used a hair dryer to make it soft and made it flexible to work with. But your right it should mention that in the directions that way nobody would have that issue
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #120
AACstyle

Quote:
The IR eye can go behind the bumper cover, you will need to remember where it is located because you will need to point the remote directly at the eye to get it to work.

Hope that helps
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #121
Teamradrz1

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
The IR eye can go behind the bumper cover, you will need to remember where it is located because you will need to point the remote directly at the eye to get it to work.

Hope that helps
So what your saying is make the cut on the right side larger so the IR sensor goes in and then point the remote into the hole to get your line of site?

I don't think having a larger hole size than the light bar would look very clean.

I really think a redesign is in order either move the center over one more LED to the right or mount the ir sensor dead center which seams like that would not be too difficult but IDK.
Teamradrz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #122
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamradrz1 View Post
So what your saying is make the cut on the right side larger so the IR sensor goes in and then point the remote into the hole to get your line of site?

I don't think having a larger hole size than the light bar would look very clean.

I really think a redesign is in order either move the center over one more LED to the right or mount the ir sensor dead center which seams like that would not be too difficult but IDK.
We install these every day here, you do not need to make the hole bigger just heat it so that it will allow the sensor to go through. If we moved the sensor to the middle it would break contact when you bent it then not work. We appreciate your suggestion for a redesign but as you can imagine we did put some thought into this before production.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #123
SS King

Just like this guys it does not take an engendering degree to figure it out its not hard. Look at the video and youll get the idea. You do not need to cut a larger hole in order to get it to fit just take your time and use a hair dryer to soften up the plastic and it will slip right in

Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #124
timmy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS King View Post
Just like this>
Damn Wish I would have known that you could do it this way before installing mine. I had troubles with the first light, and was told to make sure that the eye was visible.. oh well, i only use it for the knight rider theme anyway. so being centered doesn't really effect it. and since this is my 3rd light, I don't wanna mess with it and have it stop working again lol.

nice install by the way.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #125
Sourmug

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Whipple
Does anyone know where there yellow wire goes?
2.9L Whipple Supercharger, Kooks Long Tube Headers w/ high flow cats, CAI w/ scoop, APEX water bottle relocation kit, RX oil catch can, Borla ATAK cat-backs, Ultra 431 Rims w/ orange accent (20x9 front, 20x10 back), SPL gill stripes, Hurst short throw shifter
Sourmug is offline   Reply With Quote