Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
If Hyundai can do it GM sure as hell can

Quote:
Indeed, this represents a comprehensive rework of Hyundai's 4.6-liter "Tau" V8. It includes new head and intake manifold castings integrating an IHI twin-screw supercharger, and a cylinder deactivation system. This system, like other such systems in production, allows the V8 to operate in V4 mode to save fuel. John continued, "We saw an 8 percent improvement in fuel economy while simulating the FTP cycle," which is used by the EPA to determine the fuel economy numbers on a window sticker.

Hyundai reckons this Genesis reaches 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and runs the quarter-mile in 13.6 seconds at 108 mph, while returning 18/27 city/hwy mpg.

They also hint that it's "suitable for sports cars," too. Bring it on.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...sis-sedan.html

There's no reason GM can't achieve as phenominal of numbers with a few sophisticated modifications to an existing GM engine.
__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
I think FORD did it as well .. it was called the 03/04 cobra's 4.6L 32v supercharged V8 making 390hp/390tq .. not sure on the real highway mileage numbers, but I know I got 20mpg around town .. btw .. it was a bit faster than the Hyundai car as well ..

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,191
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The L99 has cylinder deactivation and beats those times. I'm not worried.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The L99 has cylinder deactivation and beats those times. I'm not worried.
Maybe the performance numbers but it doesn't get anywhere near as good as gas mileage. I'm sure of that. That's my whole point in even posting this article, performance numbers aside.
__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,903
That sounds like good news... I want to SC my L99, but don't want to get rid of the AFM feature. Thanks for posting.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
carfansince73

 
carfansince73's Avatar
 
Drives: Carefully
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
That sounds like good news... I want to SC my L99, but don't want to get rid of the AFM feature. Thanks for posting.
Go to www.g8board.com. I believe there are some s/c'd G8 GT's there with their AFM intact.
__________________
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
That sounds like good news... I want to SC my L99, but don't want to get rid of the AFM feature. Thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
Go to www.g8board.com. I believe there are some s/c'd G8 GT's there with their AFM intact.
G8 with a Maggy' with the AFM still active. DING DING DING! We have a winner!!!
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,191
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
G8 with a Maggy' with the AFM still active. DING DING DING! We have a winner!!!
Active fuel management, forced induction—that's what I want!
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"
 
Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Augustine Florida
Posts: 89
ummm LS1 Corvette's get 4.8 to 60 and 18mpg in the city... And im pretty sure LS2 'Vettes get the same gas mileage with better performance numbers... But that new Hyundai does have a little classy look to it... Sounds like an oxymoron LOL... I saw a coupe Hyundai the other day and it looked really nice, I wonder if it was based of this car.... Hyundai has come a long way in the last couple of years...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan View Post
ummm LS1 Corvette's get 4.8 to 60 and 18mpg in the city... And im pretty sure LS2 'Vettes get the same gas mileage with better performance numbers... But that new Hyundai does have a little classy look to it... Sounds like an oxymoron LOL... I saw a coupe Hyundai the other day and it looked really nice, I wonder if it was based of this car.... Hyundai has come a long way in the last couple of years...
They have come a long way. But 18 in the city isnt that incredible, especially if thats EPA numbers, because youll probly get 15.

And as to the Hyundai comparison, the Genesis is a full out luxury sedan. To get the same technology on an engine in the Camaro, your talkin a few dollars. Maybe as an option or add on, but if it were standard technology, i bet the price would be up 4 or 5 G's.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Maybe the performance numbers but it doesn't get anywhere near as good as gas mileage. I'm sure of that. That's my whole point in even posting this article, performance numbers aside.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, folks driving slow and sane on trips will be bragging about ~30mpg with their L99 Camaro. I can do it in a Cadillac with AFM all day long. That's with the NorthStar motor, same technology, MUCH bigger car.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, folks driving slow and sane on trips will be bragging about ~30mpg with their L99 Camaro. I can do it in a Cadillac with AFM all day long. That's with the NorthStar motor, same technology, MUCH bigger car.
Are you serious?? Is 30mpg even possible with the L99 when driving at speeds that enable AFM?
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Jamestwilliams
junior member
 
Drives: Grand Am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Are you serious?? Is 30mpg even possible with the L99 when driving at speeds that enable AFM?
I wouldn't realy be surprised if you have a road with a level grade and keep your foot entirely out of it.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They sure can. I'd guess that in the near-future, we'll see smaller, FI motors with various fuel-saving tech on them (like AFM)...even the Eaton TVS supercharger units are able to provide a 2-3mpg bump in fuel economy...

GM can do anything they want (look at HCCI: a diesel-cycle GAS engine?!?)...they just need the money...:(
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,307
Not necessarily even on flat ground, for every up hill there's a down hill. Even thru 2 small rural towns on a 100 mile trip, at 55-60mph (there's most of the secret) I got 31 mpg in a 05 Sedan DeVille. Trip home drove 65-75 mph and still got 27. The rest of the secret is a steady foot and slow stops/starts. I can also make it get 10mpg but I don't.

Guess I hafta renig on the "much bigger car" comment in the above post, checked the specs on the DHS it's 3800 lbs. I'm still anxious to see what kind of numbers I can wring out of the LS3.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
If this engine was making its way into the Genesis Coupe, I'd be worried but seeing that this engine, or the Tau V8 is only being offered in the Genesis sedan, I'm not worried about it. Although it's interesting to see how Hyundai was able to improve it.
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"
 
Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Augustine Florida
Posts: 89
regardless of what the EPA states and what you actually get they are all compared the same so it doesn't really matter... SEMPER
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Jamestwilliams
junior member
 
Drives: Grand Am
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Not necessarily even on flat ground, for every up hill there's a down hill. Even thru 2 small rural towns on a 100 mile trip, at 55-60mph (there's most of the secret) I got 31 mpg in a 05 Sedan DeVille. Trip home drove 65-75 mph and still got 27. The rest of the secret is a steady foot and slow stops/starts. I can also make it get 10mpg but I don't.

Guess I hafta renig on the "much bigger car" comment in the above post, checked the specs on the DHS it's 3800 lbs. I'm still anxious to see what kind of numbers I can wring out of the LS3.
You don't live in BC do you. In a trip from Vancouver to Kamloops or Kelowna or any interior city your going up hill almost the whole way there, of course on the way back.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
stratman
Goldmember
 
stratman's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 CTS-V
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 172
Who cares? It's a freakin Hyundai! Do you really want to try and drive a Hyundai with 460hp? Given their illustrious sports car heritage, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is nil, I would guess this thing would handle like a post office jeep with a 454 in it. The engine is impressive but as someone else mentioned, given its design it must also be expensive. A blown V8 in the Camaro would be a few grand more I'm sure. Their motor is making 40 more horse and 3-4 miles per gallon better, so they estimate, and they have to do it with a blower versus all motor. And that can be a good and a bad thing. If it craps out, big bucks on the repair. If you tune it for more power, you can probably kiss you fuel savings goodbye and who knows how much more power you can safely get out of that unproven engine design.

Gas prices are thankfully on the decline and we all are worried it will be near $4.00 again. But why is everyone harping on fuel economy SOOO much. The Camaro gets good gas mileage. It will have better gas mileage than my V6 truck for sure. Let’s not wine that it doesn’t get 35mpg. It is a sports car. It’s supposed to have BAD gas mileage. Just OK gas mileage is a gift in a good sports car. If the Camaro got 12/18mpg I would still be looking to get one. This car shouldn’t just be about getting from A to B. It should be about “kicking maximum a$$ in between” to quote Ted Nugent loosely. The day Chevy/GM start taking their performance queues from Hyundai is the day they loose my business.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #20
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,191
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Who cares? It's a freakin Hyundai! Do you really want to try and drive a Hyundai with 460hp? Given their illustrious sports car heritage, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is nil, I would guess this thing would handle like a post office jeep with a 454 in it. The engine is impressive but as someone else mentioned, given its design it must also be expensive. A blown V8 in the Camaro would be a few grand more I'm sure. Their motor is making 40 more horse and 3-4 miles per gallon better, so they estimate, and they have to do it with a blower versus all motor. And that can be a good and a bad thing. If it craps out, big bucks on the repair. If you tune it for more power, you can probably kiss you fuel savings goodbye and who knows how much more power you can safely get out of that unproven engine design.

Gas prices are thankfully on the decline and we all are worried it will be near $4.00 again. But why is everyone harping on fuel economy SOOO much. The Camaro gets good gas mileage. It will have better gas mileage than my V6 truck for sure. Let’s not wine that it doesn’t get 35mpg. It is a sports car. It’s supposed to have BAD gas mileage. Just OK gas mileage is a gift in a good sports car. If the Camaro got 12/18mpg I would still be looking to get one. This car shouldn’t just be about getting from A to B. It should be about “kicking maximum a$$ in between” to quote Ted Nugent loosely. The day Chevy/GM start taking their performance queues from Hyundai is the day they loose my business.
Hyundai's performance history makes me doubt the reliability, quality, and performance capacity of the Genesis.

I would love to see a fuel-efficient Camaro. It already is amazing, but we know that it can always be better. GM knows this as well, which is exactly why GM is going to continue with research to make it more efficient. I'm not whining that it isn't good enough now. I just want GM to stay competitive in all categories, and Hyundai is winning in the efficiency category.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan View Post
regardless of what the EPA states and what you actually get they are all compared the same so it doesn't really matter... SEMPER
Ehh. Kinda. Depends on the engine. EPA tests the engine from a grandma driving style. So it really tends to matter how effecient an engine is at the lower end. When you get on it, the EPA numbers go out the window.

Good point, Im just saying, using the EPA ratings as comparison is kind of shotty. Id much rather work off of numbers given by a driver or Motor Trend and the like. You cant blame EPA though. If they gave the whole range possible on the car, from turtle driving to GET THE F*CK OUT MY WAY driving, youd have a 10MPG range.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #22
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps
 
SemperFi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Hyundai's performance history makes me doubt the reliability, quality, and performance capacity of the Genesis.

I would love to see a fuel-efficient Camaro. It already is amazing, but we know that it can always be better. GM knows this as well, which is exactly why GM is going to continue with research to make it more efficient. I'm not whining that it isn't good enough now. I just want GM to stay competitive in all categories, and Hyundai is winning in the efficiency category.
Thats true. But it would be straight ignorant to ignore the changes that have occured at Hyundai. They have just about done an about-face. And if you still doubt, look at the rediculous warranty they put on their new cars. Dont think theyd be handing out the best warranty if they didnt produce some
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
reliability, quality, and performance capacity
in their cars.
__________________

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
xl1200r
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cohoes, NY
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Ehh. Kinda. Depends on the engine. EPA tests the engine from a grandma driving style. So it really tends to matter how effecient an engine is at the lower end. When you get on it, the EPA numbers go out the window.

Good point, Im just saying, using the EPA ratings as comparison is kind of shotty. Id much rather work off of numbers given by a driver or Motor Trend and the like. You cant blame EPA though. If they gave the whole range possible on the car, from turtle driving to GET THE F*CK OUT MY WAY driving, youd have a 10MPG range.
First off, the EPA criteria changed for this year, and the general consensus is that the same car this year will have lower MPG ratings than last year, in order to give a more accurate number.

This is all good for me - my supercharged Cobalt is rated for 22 city/29 hwy, and I regularly get 27 city/32 hwy. In fact, I've seen an honest to god 37.7 mpg average driving from Detroit, MI to Albany, NY.

As for the Genisis Coupe, I'm not that worried. A supercharged, variable displacement engine is expensive, and you can't change that. Also, the car looks like they took an Acura RSX, grafted a Lexus IS 300 nose to it, and had it gain 800 lbs.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"
 
Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Augustine Florida
Posts: 89
yep that right XL... what im trying to say Semper, is if your comparing cars the EPA has already done it for you and gave you a baseline for that comparison... I understand what your pointing out, but different drivers drive different...Say that 5 times fast LOL... The EPA compares all cars the same and from what i've seen of the new standards they are a lot more stricter... My HEMI Ram from '03 said when I bought it back the 13MPG's in the city, now if you look it up under the new "standards" it's 11MPG... check it out you'll understand more...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music for the Maiden Voyage? LSxcellent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 1088 05-27-2012 11:43 PM
Indy Camaro SS Engine Startup Vid!!! Mean as hell! fbird777 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 62 12-12-2008 12:14 PM
Hyundai releases tech specs on 2010 Genesis Coupe camaro5 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 20 11-01-2008 05:14 PM
GM out done by Hyundai unkbd Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 38 09-24-2008 05:45 PM
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 4 06-14-2008 07:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.