Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Camaro Motorsports Discussions Motorsports involving Camaros - Grand-Am, Redline Time Attack, Drift Events, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Tom
 
Drives: 2010 SS Red Jewel 6 spd manual
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Charleston, SC
Posts: 156
Chevy Missed A Great Opportunity

Tonight at Daytona International Speedway the car manufacturers get to 'debut' their new bodies that will be used next year & the race itself tonight in the Nationwide Series.
Ford has changed to the Mustang, Dodge has changed to the Challenger, and Chevy has......wait...the Impala. Yes the same old Impala body that they've been using.
What a golden opportunity this would have been to showcase the Camaro against the Mustang & Challenger almost every week in front of thousands of people plus the many thousands in the TV audience.
That does not make any sense at all.

GM is way behind in their marketing ideas!
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,789
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Because GM didn't want a Camaro COT that looks as awful as the Mustang COT.

If you want to run a Camaro or Mustang in motorsports, then run a Camaro or Mustang.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
thebighar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT CGM RS/CC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: abington, pa
Posts: 559
The camaro has been outselling both those cars for a year now, they are doing something right, nascar ratings are going down the toilet anyway, does anyone watch that anymore. I used to but with all the changes it's boring as hell.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,222
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't be offended by my bluntness, but let's be real. Those cars could not be much uglier. They look nothing like the original cars they are supposed to represent. The Impala is the most genuine of the 3, and it doesn't even look right. The Challenger and Mustang look like sell-outs for even being in the races when the superior competitor isn't even on the track.

There should be a racing series where the tracks have turns that aren't only to the left and the cars are a little more real. I would happily support Camaros in that race, but not on NASCAR oval tracks.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
binlow84
 
binlow84's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis metro, Illinois
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
GM is way behind in their marketing ideas!
It has absolutely nothing to do with outdated marketing ideas. A while back there was a post around here that talked about this very topic. If I remember correctly GM consciously chose not to use the Camaro in NASCAR because it wouldn't be the Camaro. In order to get the the car to fit the proper specs it would have had to be chopped all to hell and remodeled/uglified (new word, use it as you wish). Just take a look at the NASCAR versions of the Mustang and Challenger. Those things are horrendous. Instead of subjecting the beautiful Camaro to such abuse GM wisely chose to use another car which already more or less fits the appearance of NASCAR vehicles.

I am not at all a NASCAR fan and I have never watched a race in my life, but I can sleep easier knowing that some abomination isn't rolling around pointlessly in an oval with the name Camaro on it (except for the badass Camaro pace car). This decision is a win for Chevy, huge loss for Dodge and Ford IMO.
__________________
[Insert obligatory car/order info below]
2LT RS; Imperial Blue Metallic w/ Silver Rally Stripes; Gray Leather Interior; Automatic; Exterior Painted Interior Trim Panels; Blue LED Footwell Lighting; Dash ABL; DRL Halos
Ordered - 1/16/10 at Weber Chevrolet in Granite City, IL (Excellent experience; Thanks John!)
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,222
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlow84 View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with outdated marketing ideas. A while back there was a post around here that talked about this very topic. If I remember correctly GM consciously chose not to use the Camaro in NASCAR because it wouldn't be the Camaro. In order to get the the car to fit the proper specs it would have had to be chopped all to hell and remodeled/uglified (new word, use it as you wish). Just take a look at the NASCAR versions of the Mustang and Challenger. Those things are horrendous. Instead of subjecting the beautiful Camaro to such abuse GM wisely chose to use another car which already more or less fits the appearance of NASCAR vehicles.

I am not at all a NASCAR fan and I have never watched a race in my life, but I can sleep easier knowing that some abomination isn't rolling around pointlessly in an oval with the name Camaro on it (except for the badass Camaro pace car). This decision is a win for Chevy, huge loss for Dodge and Ford IMO.
I like the use of the word "uglified."
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
BilJ
 
BilJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 529
The Fords, Chevies, Toytos and Dodges of NASCAR do not remotely resemble the actual street versions. I, for one, would not like to see the Camaro butchered and hacked to the extent it would take in order to meet the current NASCAR specs. I enjoy seeing the Camaro as is, rather than as a NASCAR clone.
Good for you GM!
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead
 
TooCool5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central CT
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
The Fords, Chevies, Toytos and Dodges of NASCAR do not remotely resemble the actual street versions. I, for one, would not like to see the Camaro butchered and hacked to the extent it would take in order to meet the current NASCAR specs. I enjoy seeing the Camaro as is, rather than as a NASCAR clone.
Good for you GM!
Thanks for sparing the Camaro GM. The other pony cars are UGLY with an UGLY spoiler with square cut outs to boot.
http://nationwide.nascar.com/nationw...r.nascar.roots
No wonder NASCAR is going down.
__________________
2010 Camaro Auto, Inferno Orange, Titanium Interior, Gearhead Wheels AIRAID CAI
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
InvaderMoose

 
InvaderMoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The Challenger and Mustang look like sell-outs for even being in the races when the superior competitor isn't even on the track.
THE CHALLENGER!? UGLY!? I actually really like it, but I guess it's my opinion.

I suppose it makes sense what GM did, Camaros have been selling like crazy, and who knows how many Impalas they've sold. It's better for them to put up a car that isn't selling as much, rather than one that is(camaro), just to look cool with the Mustang and the Challenger. It's all marketing.
__________________

Engine/Appearance: 530 RWHP
Whipple supercharger, Full JBA Exhaust, Ported TB, Cold Air Inductions & ADM Scoop /Complete new paint, 20" Forgestar F14s, Sinister hood, SLP Spoiler, AAC Halos, P13W Fogs
InvaderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
acamellis
IAMACE
 
acamellis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 147
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
The Fords, Chevies, Toytos and Dodges of NASCAR do not remotely resemble the actual street versions. I, for one, would not like to see the Camaro butchered and hacked to the extent it would take in order to meet the current NASCAR specs. I enjoy seeing the Camaro as is, rather than as a NASCAR clone.
Good for you GM!
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,017
Chevy announced a couple weeks ago, that they are kicking around the idea of the Camaro for the 2011 season. It all depends if Chevy and NASCAR can come to an agreement as to how much of the "Canvas" they are allowed to use in order to keep the look of the Camaro ... So basically never say never !!!
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
avt12882
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss1 inferno orange
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: davie,fla
Posts: 113
I used to be a big nascar fan but I went to the grand am race this year in Homestead and that's all I watch now because of more turns ,better racing and I love watching the 2 camaros on the track.
avt12882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner
 
Johnnyma45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 605
Amazed this hasn't been said yet but
Johnnyma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
SSinatra Andretti
2$$
 
SSinatra Andretti's Avatar
 
Drives: 94 ss, 2008 gxp, soon to be2011 2ss
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: OAKLAND, CA
Posts: 266
pics????
__________________
burn rubber & write your name in the street
SSinatra Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
5thGenOwner

 
Drives: 20TEN SS/RS L99 (SIM)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I like the use of the word "uglified."


It is stupid that they even attach a 'model' to these cars at all. Just call em Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Rice... oops, i mean Toyota. Leave it at that, or actually revert back to true Stock Car racing
Attached Images
  
__________________
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
TahoeCamaro
 
TahoeCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gulf Shores, AL
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post


It is stupid that they even attach a 'model' to these cars at all. Just call em Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Rice... oops, i mean Toyota. Leave it at that, or actually revert back to true Stock Car racing
The Challenger looks better than I thought it would.. As for the Mustang though...
__________________
TahoeCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
nascar ratings are going down the toilet anyway, does anyone watch that anymore. I used to but with all the changes it's boring as hell.
You are right, ratings are down, but don't kid yourself. NASCAR racing is HUGE.
Ratings are down because they got away from many things, not the least of which is the cars are nothing like stock cars. I know many of you don't like the new look and don't want the Camaro butchered. I agree, but this is a START in the right direction to get NASCAR back to where they belong. Chevrolet needs to be a part of it. As far as Grand AM racing. HELL YEAH, that Continental Series is KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Apex Paul

 
Apex Paul's Avatar
 
Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
actually revert back to true Stock Car racing
Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday... I liked Nascar when I was a kid, now it just seems too homogenized, everything is the same and there is not as much "racing".

__________________
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
thebighar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT CGM RS/CC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: abington, pa
Posts: 559
All i know is i don't really watch nascar like i used to, i saw a race this year for a few minutes and the stands were empty, i never saw that in the years i was watching. The cars also look nothing like anything for sale these days and i remember the win on sunday...sell on monday deal but those days are over.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
DarrenJ
 
DarrenJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Real World USA
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Tonight at Daytona International Speedway the car manufacturers get to 'debut' their new bodies that will be used next year & the race itself tonight in the Nationwide Series.
Ford has changed to the Mustang, Dodge has changed to the Challenger, and Chevy has......wait...the Impala. Yes the same old Impala body that they've been using.
What a golden opportunity this would have been to showcase the Camaro against the Mustang & Challenger almost every week in front of thousands of people plus the many thousands in the TV audience.
That does not make any sense at all.

GM is way behind in their marketing ideas!
Tom: I agree with you, ford has a "mustang" and dodge has a "challenger"....Chevy has an "Impala"? come on, I know they're not real cars...

On a lighter note, toyota drivers deserve what they have.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
flyer08
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,520
Maybe its me but I see nothin resembling the challenger except the R/T on the front grill
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
DarrenJ
 
DarrenJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Real World USA
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
Maybe its me but I see nothin resembling the challenger except the R/T on the front grill
Stickers only, cars are all the same...and NASCAR wonders why they are losing market share?
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,222
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenJ View Post
Tom: I agree with you, ford has a "mustang" and dodge has a "challenger"....Chevy has an "Impala"? come on, I know they're not real cars...

On a lighter note, toyota drivers deserve what they have.
I wonder if any of the Toyota drivers have experienced unintended accelaration.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm VERY glad they've got their heads on straight and kept the Camaro out of that...Leave it be a beautiful pace car...or cars like the Grand Am series Sunoco Camaro.

"Stock car" racing....
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
thebighar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT CGM RS/CC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: abington, pa
Posts: 559
All the cars look the same anymore, i'ts like they just throw a chevy or ford sticker on. Sorry but nascar is a joke anymore, i remember when a pontiac looked like a pontiac or a ford looked like a ford. I don't miss it at all, if it's so popular now why are they changing the chase for the cup rules yet again. And don't get me started how a champion like waltrip can lower himself with the boogity thing, very sad.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GREAT NEWS! CamaroScotty Dealer Camaros for Sale 3 09-02-2009 09:47 AM
Super Chevy - Great Interview with Al Oppenheiser Gib 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 1 08-25-2009 10:14 AM
new members opinion on chevy shelbyGT500 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 18 06-24-2008 12:46 AM
Help Chevy Help Autism Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 1 03-26-2008 12:18 PM
Chevy Rev It Up Tour Dates-Featuring the 5th Gen Concept TAG UR IT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 3 06-29-2007 03:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.