Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!
 
JJ#48Racing's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 1,116
Watched a 2011 5.0 GT at the track.

Mods were cold-air intake, tune, and drag radials. It was a manual, and not sure which rear end gears it was running, but I'd imagine the 3.73's. It ran a best time of 12.28 @ 114. Watch out, these cars are as strong in the real world as they are in the mags.
__________________
JJ#48Racing is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
12.2 with only 114 mph trap speed means a really good launch (fast 60').

We have lots of Camaro SS (with just a couple mods) trapping 114 mph. The hard part is getting that kind of launch so you can run those times.

Definately impressive especially because of the time of year.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Sax1031


 
Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elgin,SC
Posts: 2,707
I ran 12.20s at only 108-109 mph. The stang is getting a decent 60ft. Not a good one.

114mph is more than enough to go into the 11s with some good 60fts.

Nice time though.
Sax1031 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
NinoSS

 
Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
Mods were cold-air intake, tune, and drag radials. It was a manual, and not sure which rear end gears it was running, but I'd imagine the 3.73's. It ran a best time of 12.28 @ 114. Watch out, these cars are as strong in the real world as they are in the mags.
Wow...
__________________
Vengeance stage I cam (442rwhp/412rwtq) / CAI intake w/ADM race scoop / Dynatech LT's / ATI udp / JRE tuned / Eaton Posi LPE-JRE 3.91's / L99 Corsa / Whiteline Sways & Bushings / UMI Trailing Arms & Toe Rods / ZL1 wheels / NT05 275/315
NinoSS is online now  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Maurdib

 
Maurdib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
Mods were cold-air intake, tune, and drag radials. It was a manual, and not sure which rear end gears it was running, but I'd imagine the 3.73's. It ran a best time of 12.28 @ 114. Watch out, these cars are as strong in the real world as they are in the mags.
Can anyone tell me what LS3 are getting with a CAI, tune, and Drag Radials.
__________________
BackInBlack
Performance:Vararam cold air intake
Maurdib is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
jordan 572

 
jordan 572's Avatar
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
Can anyone tell me what LS3 are getting with a CAI, tune, and Drag Radials.
high 9's
jordan 572 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Dan@showstopper
Showstopper Accessories

 
Dan@showstopper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 499
I'm sure these are going to be fast on the track. 3.73, SRA, tire and a sticky track will net some great times. I wish we could figure out the right rear end set-up. It will just take time. I think a 12.3 is possible with the same mods on an LS3. Not many people have tried mild mods and DR's with the Camaro yet, I'm kind of surprised.
__________________

2010 Camaro5 Fest Pfadt car show winner, 2010 Central IL. Camaro Meet "Best Underhood"
www.showstopperaccessories.com
Be a fan of Showstopper Accessories on Facebook!
E-mail me for a catalog dan@showstopperaccessories.com

Last edited by Dan@showstopper; 07-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Dan@showstopper is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
WiccaJew

 
WiccaJew's Avatar
 
Drives: Black & Blue 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Back In The Desert
Posts: 1,259
. Walkermuffler - 11.71 @ 114.07 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune, 17'' wheels, Skinnies, Drag Radials), (LS3, M6) # 294
2. OrangeChevy - 11.83 @ 116 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune, 18'' wheels, Skinnies, Drag Radials), (LS3, M6) # 24
3. GMRULZ - 12.22 @ 113.29 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6), (DA -648 ft.) # 178
4. RedJewel2SS - 12.23 @ 113.18 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, 104 octane, Tune), (L99, A6) #316
5. Number_9 - 12.24 @ 112.99 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Ported TB & Intake, Line Lock, DR's Tune), (L99, A6) # 339
6. Mercuryman96 - 12.35 @ 113.12 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, DR's), (LS3, M6) # 490
7. Wacker - 12.49 @ 111.57 mph, (LT, Exhaust, Tune), (L99, A6) # 186
8. NHSS - 12.53 @ 111.73 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 331
9. SGOS252382 - 12.55 @ 111.62 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99 A6) # 185
10. RamAir2 - 12.58 @ 111.32 mph, (LT, CAI, 18'' wheels, DRs, coil overs), (LS3, M6) # 330
11. Grand Pa - 12.58 @ 111.28 mph (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 493
12. SRT10KLR - 12.59 kph @ ?, (Mid Length Headers, Exhaust, CAI, DR's Tune), (L99, A6) # 194
13. Nuptualnemesis - 12.61 @ 113.52 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune, T arm, Drag Radials), (LS3 M6),(DA +1793 ft.) # 40
14. JNM2003 - 12.64 @ 111.51 mph, (Exhaust CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 332
15. Darin Morgan - 12.66 @ 110.88 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Ported TB, Tune), (L99, A6) # 134
16. Jhmurphy - 12.68 @ 111.67 mph, (LT, CAI, Ported TB and Intake, Tune), (L99, A6) # 343
17. Rick@Liverois - 12.68 @ 109.72 mph, (Exhaust, CAI, Pully, Tune), (L99, A6) # 35
18. JP2010SS - 12.69 @ 112.58 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 110
19. Rodimus Prime - 12.73 @ 110 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 21
20. Boostedyards86 - 12.74 @ 111.33 mph, (LT,CAI, Exhaust, 160 tstat), (LS3, M6), (DA +1589 ft.) # 27
21. FASST 1 - 12.75 @ 109.28 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 137
22. Black5thgen - 12.78 @ 111.48 mph, (CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) #160
23. Kaler - 12.79 @ 111.32 mph, (LT, Exhaust), (L99, A6) # 418
24. Jbsrace1 - 12.79 @ 109.29 mph, (CAI, Exhaust, Tune), (L99 A6) # 399
25. DTM - 12.84 @ 109.84 mph, (Muffler Delete), (LS3, M6) # 101
26. OctaneZ28 - 12.84 @ 108.15 mph, (Tune), (L99, A6), (DA -800 ft.) # 84
27. Matt tune time - 12.94 @ 108.39 mph, (Tune), (L99, A6) #
28. NinoSS - 13.00 @ 112.50 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 486
29. James4086 - 13.07 @ 111.06 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 212
30. ljustin293 - 13.09 @ 110.33 mph, (LT, Exhaust), (LS3, M6) # 372
WiccaJew is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiccaJew View Post
. Walkermuffler - 11.71 @ 114.07 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune, 17'' wheels, Skinnies, Drag Radials), (LS3, M6) # 294
2. OrangeChevy - 11.83 @ 116 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune, 18'' wheels, Skinnies, Drag Radials), (LS3, M6) # 24
3. GMRULZ - 12.22 @ 113.29 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6), (DA -648 ft.) # 178
4. RedJewel2SS - 12.23 @ 113.18 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, 104 octane, Tune), (L99, A6) #316
5. Number_9 - 12.24 @ 112.99 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Ported TB & Intake, Line Lock, DR's Tune), (L99, A6) # 339
6. Mercuryman96 - 12.35 @ 113.12 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, DR's), (LS3, M6) # 490
7. Wacker - 12.49 @ 111.57 mph, (LT, Exhaust, Tune), (L99, A6) # 186
8. NHSS - 12.53 @ 111.73 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 331
9. SGOS252382 - 12.55 @ 111.62 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99 A6) # 185
10. RamAir2 - 12.58 @ 111.32 mph, (LT, CAI, 18'' wheels, DRs, coil overs), (LS3, M6) # 330
11. Grand Pa - 12.58 @ 111.28 mph (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 493
12. SRT10KLR - 12.59 kph @ ?, (Mid Length Headers, Exhaust, CAI, DR's Tune), (L99, A6) # 194
13. Nuptualnemesis - 12.61 @ 113.52 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune, T arm, Drag Radials), (LS3 M6),(DA +1793 ft.) # 40
14. JNM2003 - 12.64 @ 111.51 mph, (Exhaust CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 332
15. Darin Morgan - 12.66 @ 110.88 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Ported TB, Tune), (L99, A6) # 134
16. Jhmurphy - 12.68 @ 111.67 mph, (LT, CAI, Ported TB and Intake, Tune), (L99, A6) # 343
17. Rick@Liverois - 12.68 @ 109.72 mph, (Exhaust, CAI, Pully, Tune), (L99, A6) # 35
18. JP2010SS - 12.69 @ 112.58 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 110
19. Rodimus Prime - 12.73 @ 110 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 21
20. Boostedyards86 - 12.74 @ 111.33 mph, (LT,CAI, Exhaust, 160 tstat), (LS3, M6), (DA +1589 ft.) # 27
21. FASST 1 - 12.75 @ 109.28 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 137
22. Black5thgen - 12.78 @ 111.48 mph, (CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) #160
23. Kaler - 12.79 @ 111.32 mph, (LT, Exhaust), (L99, A6) # 418
24. Jbsrace1 - 12.79 @ 109.29 mph, (CAI, Exhaust, Tune), (L99 A6) # 399
25. DTM - 12.84 @ 109.84 mph, (Muffler Delete), (LS3, M6) # 101
26. OctaneZ28 - 12.84 @ 108.15 mph, (Tune), (L99, A6), (DA -800 ft.) # 84
27. Matt tune time - 12.94 @ 108.39 mph, (Tune), (L99, A6) #
28. NinoSS - 13.00 @ 112.50 mph, (LT, CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 486
29. James4086 - 13.07 @ 111.06 mph, (LT, Exhaust, CAI, Tune), (L99, A6) # 212
30. ljustin293 - 13.09 @ 110.33 mph, (LT, Exhaust), (LS3, M6) # 372
almost all of those are with long tubes. The 5.0 has gone faster than 118mph with long tubes (116+ in the automatic).

these here are closer to same mod comparisons, drag radials might be worth a couple tenths though:

14. JNM2003 - 12.64 @ 111.51 mph, (Exhaust CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 332

22. Black5thgen - 12.78 @ 111.48 mph, (CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) #160

i wanna see the 5.0 fall/winter runs though!!!
THE EVIL TW1N is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Sax1031


 
Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elgin,SC
Posts: 2,707
Evan Smith went 12.69 stock in a 2011 GT. He went 12.30s with drag radials on an otherwise stock 11 GT.
Sax1031 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
nhra stocker
 
nhra stocker's Avatar
 
Drives: 69,10 camaro 71 chevelle
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Shelbyville, IL
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
Can anyone tell me what LS3 are getting with a CAI, tune, and Drag Radials.
Stay tuned this Fall!
__________________
2010 Camaro SS RS M6 Bone stock 12.58 at 110mph http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=263
1971 Chevelle SS 454 365hp NHRA C/SA 10.73 at 122
1969 Camaro (427 ZL-1 clone) M-22 being built
1982 Siverado 4x4 454 Mud truck stock class 3.66 sec in 150' of mud
nhra stocker is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
WiccaJew

 
WiccaJew's Avatar
 
Drives: Black & Blue 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Back In The Desert
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
almost all of those are with long tubes. The 5.0 has gone faster than 118mph with long tubes (116+ in the automatic).

these here are closer to same mod comparisons, drag radials might be worth a couple tenths though:

14. JNM2003 - 12.64 @ 111.51 mph, (Exhaust CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 332

22. Black5thgen - 12.78 @ 111.48 mph, (CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) #160

i wanna see the 5.0 fall/winter runs though!!!

Yes sir but a lot are not running drag radials
How about #3 in an l99 or number 7
Ya they might have lts but no DRs
WiccaJew is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
almost all of those are with long tubes. The 5.0 has gone faster than 118mph with long tubes (116+ in the automatic).

these here are closer to same mod comparisons, drag radials might be worth a couple tenths though:

14. JNM2003 - 12.64 @ 111.51 mph, (Exhaust CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) # 332

22. Black5thgen - 12.78 @ 111.48 mph, (CAI, Tune), (LS3, M6) #160

i wanna see the 5.0 fall/winter runs though!!!

It just happens we don't have many times with just CAI, Tune, and Drag Radials.

Don't forget we have faster times (than the above mentioned) from stock Camaro SS's.

Stock

1
nhra stocker
LS3
3/7/2010
1.972
8.195 @ 88.58 MPH
12.58 @ 110.30 MPH
263
2
2quick
LS3
1/10/10
1.955
8.204 @ 88.05 MPH
12.61 @ 111.60 MPH
188
3
blufin
LS3
3/19/10
1.926
8.246 @ 86.25 MPH
12.70 @ 111.07 MPH
373
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Legend
Hello!
 
Legend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,624
The new Mustangs are strong cars.

Glad to see the muscle wars are on again!
Legend is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
jrc1122

 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,358
nice times....
__________________
2012 Mustang GT Premium
Performance White
6-speed Manual
jrc1122 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Black5thgen
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2007 C6
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,258
Yup, no drag radials for me. It was pretty much a 2.1 60' (2.08) and I would guess I could get that down to a 1.7 on nitto's. That would give me pretty close to a 12.2, tires are worth more than a couple 10th's on a manual car.
Black5thgen is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Yup, no drag radials for me. It was pretty much a 2.1 60' (2.08) and I would guess I could get that down to a 1.7 on nitto's. That would give me pretty close to a 12.2, tires are worth more than a couple 10th's on a manual car.
the degree of track prep is worth more than the difference between radials and street tires.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
It just happens we don't have many times with just CAI, Tune, and Drag Radials.

Don't forget we have faster times (than the above mentioned) from stock Camaro SS's.
the MPH difference better shows the potential. Plus this post is just what an average joe on an average day with average mods runs. 5.0's have already hit 11's with these mods, even the automatics.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Bob Cosby
 
Drives: 2010 Vette
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 572
This car has slicks, skinnies, and a tune.


A few details...though not many: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...e-only-485644/

I watched the video close, and it looks like there is no passenger seat, so I think its safe to say that some amount of weight reduction has been done too.

The SS and Mustang have very similar power-to-weight ratios, and seem to respond about the same to basic bolt-on mods. IMO, the Mustang's small drag racing advantage comes from better gearing and the SLA.
Bob Cosby is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Sax1031


 
Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elgin,SC
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
This car has slicks, skinnies, and a tune.


A few details...though not many: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...e-only-485644/
That was a good run.

If their was weight reduction I would love to know the extent of it.
Sax1031 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
the MPH difference better shows the potential. Plus this post is just what an average joe on an average day with average mods runs. 5.0's have already hit 11's with these mods, even the automatics.
Yep, trap speeds tell the story. The GT is marginally the better performer..... no need for either side to resort to hero runs or fish stories to attempt to prove otherwise.
__________________
Sleestack is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 1993 Rustang
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
This car has slicks, skinnies, and a tune.


A few details...though not many: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...e-only-485644/

I watched the video close, and it looks like there is no passenger seat, so I think its safe to say that some amount of weight reduction has been done too.

The SS and Mustang have very similar power-to-weight ratios, and seem to respond about the same to basic bolt-on mods. IMO, the Mustang's small drag racing advantage comes from better gearing and the SLA.
Man there's one that people tend to overlook when discussing 1/4 mile times...
REEFBLUE93 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #23
thedak
416ci - LS3 - 537/501
 
thedak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 77
Send a message via AIM to thedak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
no need for either side to resort to hero runs or fish stories to attempt to prove otherwise.
I love a good fish story.
__________________
thedak is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #24
1bad65
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
the degree of track prep is worth more than the difference between radials and street tires.
True. I recently went to one track where I spun more there on DRs than I spin on the street with street tires.
1bad65 is offline  
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Evan Smith went 12.69 stock in a 2011 GT. He went 12.30s with drag radials on an otherwise stock 11 GT.
Yes, but Evan Smith is really Jesus so his runs don't count!!
__________________
Crowley is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
Are the 2011 Mustang 5.0 Really faster than the camaro 6.2 ron10 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 0 04-15-2010 07:49 PM
Me and my Camaro on Willow Springs Big Track boro62 USA - California 9 02-26-2010 03:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.