Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

3rd Generation Camaros 1982-1992 Camaros

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
having issues with fan not turning on

okay, there is no backfiring, or milky substance in the oil, so it's not a headgasket.. i've replaced the thermostat, water pump, but the coolant overflow still starts boiling and the car overheats after running it... the fan does not turn on... that must be the problem right? how simple of a replacement is this? mind you i found a fuse that had melted into it's housing under the hood... the location is at the driver's side, upper right corner (as you look at the car standing infront of it) .. the fuse had melted into the housing thing it was in, and i don't know what the hell this is for... does anyone know? any info greatly appreciated.. thanks

2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, Black on Black LS3
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
dunno about any fuses on the driver side, the other side has the fuel pump fuses.

Don't know much about the fan, I put mine on a switch long ago.

Once I removed the AC rad[ AC didn't work] put back an airdam and feed it cool air directly from outside I no longer needed it.

I only turn it on if I sit at a long light, other then that I stay well below 200F without it.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/v6...-all-over.html

----------------------------------------------
"In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate.
In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law.
To pursue... natural justice.
This is not vengeance.
Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response.
No, not vengeance.
Punishment."
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Monte Carlo Man

Drives: Everything from soup to nuts
There is a sensor - probably located in the water neck that completes a signal to the coolant fan relay. Either the sensor is bad or the relay is bad or the fans are bad.

Some Camaros were set up that when the temp got above 180*, a fan kicked on.
If there was dual fans, when it got above 195* the second fan kicked on.

That was because fuel injection motors needed more heat to help the fuel to burn easier. The engine actually produces more horsepower when it is up around 219* then what it does when it is at 160*

Hooking the fans to the ignition circuit causes the fan to run all the time, wasting fuel and energy and when you go to shut off the car, the car winds down like a aeroplane because the motor on the fan works as a simple motor structure and actually generates enough energy to keep the ignition system partially energized - just like a mini generator.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote