Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Is there a way to find out if a dealer REALLY has allocation?

Is there a way to find out if a dealer who says he has allocation, really has it?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Hot Rod

Drives: 99' Honda Civic
I go to chevrolet.com and use the locate function at the top. It's pretty accurate and once the car sells you no longer have access to the "Window Sticker"
Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I am right there with you buddy....smoke and mirrors here in Orlando too
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Just ask the dealer to show you his weekly "final allocation" report.

Pretty simple.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
FWIW - I ordered a 1LT on May 7 and was assured by the dealer that they had an allocation for my car. Even after many, many calls to the dealer, my order stayed at 1100 until June 9, at which time I called GM customer service and was told that the dealer did not yet have an allocation. After being confronted with that info, the dealer finally stated that he did not have an allocation until the first week of July. On June 10, I cancelled my original order and placed an order with another dealer. My new order went to 3800 and was produced this Monday and is now ready to be shipped. My first order on May 7 is still at the 1100 status as of this date. BTW, the first dealer refused to return my deposit. Just sayin.
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
BTW, the first dealer refused to return my deposit. Just sayin.
That is my concern as well....

I don't mind the wait as I am in the process of moving, but I just want honesty.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

I don't mind the wait as I am in the process of moving, but I just want honesty.

That is the reason I put my deposit on my credit card, if they don't deliver as promised (lie to you about having an allocation) then you have the credit card consumer protection on your side and can work with the the credit card company to negate the charge...

Last edited by edneyens; 07-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.
edneyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 2SS/RS CGM #75,288
Quote:
FWIW - I ordered a 1LT on May 7 and was assured by the dealer that they had an allocation for my car. Even after many, many calls to the dealer, my order stayed at 1100 until June 9, at which time I called GM customer service and was told that the dealer did not yet have an allocation. After being confronted with that info, the dealer finally stated that he did not have an allocation until the first week of July. On June 10, I cancelled my original order and placed an order with another dealer. My new order went to 3800 and was produced this Monday and is now ready to be shipped. My first order on May 7 is still at the 1100 status as of this date. BTW, the first dealer refused to return my deposit. Just sayin.
That's crap too on your deposit. Last year they were fully refundable as long as you were not at 3800. We could even change options as long as we were not at 3000 yet.. Wow, I'd look into that one, don't know what you put down - mine was only $1000, but that's a lot of money...
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
BilJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by edneyens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ

That is the reason I put my deposit on my credit card, if they don't deliver as promised (lie to you about having an allocation) then you have the credit card consumer protection on your side and can work with the the credit card company to negate the charge...
In theory, you are probably right on. As a practical matter, however, in a stuation where there is a refusal to return a deposit, the time, effort and stress involved to possibly remedy the situation may not be worth it. I feel that most dealers would probably voluntarily return a deposit in similar circumstances. In my case, I have writtn it off as a $250 cost of a first hand seminar on some things to do and not do. lol

BTW, that is a GREAT looking Camaro in your sig...congrats.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Quote:

Small claims. They would rather give it back than to sit and wait for the case to be called and then possibly lose, and pay court cost.
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
If you go into the dealer, they can do a search. You tell them color, model, and options. If they are on the up and up, they will show you the results on the screen. If they won't, walk out.
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
I guarantee that their is no way in hell they would be keeping my deposit. I would make the dealers life a living hell. Call GM, file a small claim suite, file a dispute with your credit card company, hell sit in the dealership and tell every person walking in they are thieves. They will give it back.
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
BilJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerDrache View Post
I guarantee that their is no way in hell they would be keeping my deposit. I would make the dealers life a living hell. Call GM, file a small claim suite, file a dispute with your credit card company, hell sit in the dealership and tell every person walking in they are
thieves. They will give it back.
At the time, I called the sales manager three times, wrote the owner a very civil letter, and contacted GM. The sales manager, with an ego off the Richter scale, said there was no way that he would refund the deposit, the owner did not respond to me at all and GM said that it was stricly between the dealer and me and that their was nothing that they could do. So, after all that, I decided to simply enjoy the ordering process, like everyone else, of my second order in anticipation of getting my car.

Hopefully, you will never have to deal with a similar situation but, if you do, and if you actually perfom the tactics that you preach, namely sitting in the dealership and informing the incoming customers of the presence of thieves, then you might want to give a glance to see if anyone with the blue uniforms or white coats are coming. And be very careful of

what you guarantee. lol

Last edited by BilJ; 07-22-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Quote:
At the time, I called the sales manager three times, wrote the owner a very civil letter, and contacted GM. The sales manager, with an ego off the Richter scale, said there was no way that he would refund the deposit, the owner did not respond to me at all and GM said that it was stricly between the dealer and me and that their was nothing that they could do. So, after all that, I decided to simply enjoy the ordering process, like everyone else, of my second order in anticipation of getting my car.

Hopefully, you will never have to deal with a similar situation but, if you do, and if you actually perfom the tactics that you preach, namely sitting in the dealership and informing the incoming customers of the presence of thieves, then you might want to give a glance to see if anyone with the blue uniforms or white coats are coming. And be very careful of

what you guarantee. lol
Thanks for your advice. But they would not have my money, PERIOD. Maybe I would have been a little smarter about it to begin with, i.e. pay by credit card, ask if it is refundable BEFORE I gave them money, etc. Oh wait...that is what I did.

You don't have to SIT in the dealership to be a pain. I know I used those words, but I was making a point. Ever heard of the internet? You can spread the word VERY fast about the tactics the dealer uses. Like it has been said go to small claims court. It is one day out of your life and I can all but promise they will not show up and then the money is yours.

Not trying to be a dick, but you are getting screwed and then defending the screwing you are getting. If you are ok with it then more power to you.

Peace
Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. But they would not have my money, PERIOD. Maybe I would have been a little smarter about it to begin with, i.e. pay by credit card, ask if it is refundable BEFORE I gave them money, etc. Oh wait...that is what I did.

You don't have to SIT in the dealership to be a pain. I know I used those words, but I was making a point. Ever heard of the internet? You can spread the word VERY fast about the tactics the dealer uses. Like it has been said go to small claims court. It is one day out of your life and I can all but promise they will not show up and then the money is yours.

Not trying to be a dick, but you are getting screwed and then defending the screwing you are getting. If you are ok with it then more power to you.

Peace
Better business Bureau....

You would be shocked how many people use it and how much dealers are concerned with their rating.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
BilJ

Quote:

Peace
Sounds like youre a smart man with a plan and has all of the answers to boot....must be nice. Funny how the benefit of hindsight and the internet tends to make some folks a genius. Anyway, just settle down a bit and try to enjoy your day instead of continueing to rant over a dead horse. Cheers.

To the OP and all, I am sorry that this matter has apparently taken over the thread.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Quote:
Sounds like youre a smart man with a plan and has all of the answers to boot....must be nice. Funny how the benefit of hindsight and the internet tends to make some folks a genius. Anyway, just settle down a bit and try to enjoy your day instead of continueing to rant over a dead horse. Cheers.

To the OP and all, I am sorry that this matter has apparently taken over the thread.
It isn't hindsght it is foresight. As I said ask the right questions upfront and it saves you a headache. Whether you did or didn't ask the questions upfront he has options NOW, but if you are done with the fight then I understand.

I was just giving suggestions and feeling bad that you got screwed and you decided to defend your screwing. That doesn't make ME a "genius". Sheesh.

BTW, my day is going great. I sold my car and my Camaro is to be built on Monday! Thanks for the good wishes!

/ Topic

As far as the OP goes what I did is ask "do you have allocation?" Answer: yes. I asked "how long until the order is accepted by GM?" Answer: 1-2 days. I then asked "if it isn't and I want my money back is it refundable?" Answer: Yes.

Too many times dealers give you the answer you want just to keep you in the game, but if you give them time frames they will tend to come clean and tell you the truth. Hold their feet to the fire. Sorry that some of you are getting dicked around. It has to be frustrating.

Last edited by SchwarzerDrache; 07-23-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

I never meant to piss anyone off. I apologize.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
brantley847
v It bites.

I wouldn't say anyone has been "screwed" yet...just that some may have to wait a few weeks longer than the rest because of a boneheaded salesperson misled them. They should still receive their vehicles...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

He is out is deposit from the 1st dealer because the dealer was not honest about his allocation. That is getting screwed.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
He is out is deposit from the 1st dealer because the dealer was not honest about his allocation. That is getting screwed.
Exactly the point I am making..HIS choice. He could have very well stayed with them and got his car a few weeks later..or worst case scenario a month later. I was also talking about the OP who has not lost his deposit and the person who was THE ONLY ONE looking for an answer and not one of you has given it to him.. Bill choose to bite (from what I understand) a 250 dollar bullet and I am not saying it is wrong or right...what the dealership did was wrong, but Bill made that choice prior to coming here and seems he took the correct avenues necessary to get it back. IE contacting GM and the dealership on numerous occasions. Truthfully I wouldn't s--- my pants over 250 dollars, and it seems Bil isn't either. All dealerships in my area required a deposit whether it was non-refundable or refundable yet you are saying you wouldn't give a deposit...because they are unnecessary? Then how would you like ME to get a car? I can do it through scotty and spend 1000 dollars in gas driving back to Florida or ship it for 1000 dollars....the fact of the matter is some of us don't have a choice. Bill made his choice and I admire him trying to fight it, but in the end he realized it wasn't worth it.

You are telling him to stomp around the dealership and keep calling. How many times do you think they will allow that before he is finally trespassed by management? I guarantee you if he said anything to customers it would be within 5 minutes, that is a great way to get himself on paper at his local police department. However, he could legally stand on the side walk in the 100 degree weather and bitch all day long...Small claims court...because THAT is free too.

Bill brought his advice to HELP the original poster..you have done nothing but tell Bill how you would handle it differently and STILL have yet to address the original post. I understand you are just trying to HELP bil, that is why I had no problem with your posts. The problem is he doesn't want your help.

I am done, you get the last word.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #22
BilJ

Quote:
Exactly the point I am making..HIS choice. He could have very well stayed with them and got his car a few weeks later..or worst case scenario a month later. I was also talking about the OP who has not lost his deposit and the person who was THE ONLY ONE looking for an answer and not one of you has given it to him.. Bill choose to bite (from what I understand) a 250 dollar bullet and I am not saying it is wrong or right...what the dealership did was wrong, but Bill made that choice prior to coming here and seems he took the correct avenues necessary to get it back. IE contacting GM and the dealership on numerous occasions. Truthfully I wouldn't s--- my pants over 250 dollars, and it seems Bil isn't either. All dealerships in my area required a deposit whether it was non-refundable or refundable yet you are saying you wouldn't give a deposit...because they are unnecessary? Then how would you like ME to get a car? I can do it through scotty and spend 1000 dollars in gas driving back to Florida or ship it for 1000 dollars....the fact of the matter is some of us don't have a choice. Bill made his choice and I admire him trying to fight it, but in the end he realized it wasn't worth it.

You are telling him to stomp around the dealership and keep calling. How many times do you think they will allow that before he is finally trespassed by management? I guarantee you if he said anything to customers it would be within 5 minutes, that is a great way to get himself on paper at his local police department. However, he could legally stand on the side walk in the 100 degree weather and bitch all day long...Small claims court...because THAT is free too.

Bill brought his advice to HELP the original poster..you have done nothing but tell Bill how you would handle it differently and STILL have yet to address the original post. I understand you are just trying to HELP bil, that is why I had no problem with your posts. The problem is he doesn't want your help.

I am done, you get the last word.
Whew....FINALLY, a reasoned response and I surely thank you for that.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
So, to sum up this thread, when you go to place an order with your Chevrolet dealer, ask him to see his "final allocation" report and also ask how many other orders are ahead of yours. If there is any hesitation, the answer is clear to go see another dealer who has no problem with honesty.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
Stett

Drives: 11 IBM 1LTRS, '89 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 View Post
So, to sum up this thread, when you go to place an order with your Chevrolet dealer, ask him to see his "final allocation" report and also ask how many other orders are ahead of yours. If there is any hesitation, the answer is clear to go see another dealer who has no problem with honesty.
When I ordered mine last week I didn't ask about allocations. I didn't need to. The salesman mentioned the timeline early on, and stressed it quite a bit that they couldn't tell me how soon the Camaro would come in, be it 4 weeks or 12 weeks, because a Camaro they had ordered June 23rd had been stalled in the system, so they didn't have a good way to gauge the time. He mentioned earlier in the year they were about 5-7 weeks on average, but didn't know what changed.

After we placed the order, the sales manager pulled up his active Camaro orders menu to confirm that GM received it. On there i saw only one other order and their status was +3000. He mentioned that the customer had been calling recently wanting to check on it and he didn't like having to tell her it hadn't moved in the past few weeks. I told him that Oshawa had been closed since the 4th and that would probably explain the stall.

He was pretty excited to know that; he mentioned he had heard that GM was originally closing all plants, but then cancelled the stop in production- but he didn't realize they only kept the US plants open.

I'm estimating it'll come in sometime in September. I'm OK with waiting on it - just means a bigger down payment. Been waiting since 2003 anyway, what's another couple of months

Last edited by Stett; 07-24-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: I called it a "car" =(
Stett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #25
Danprh427

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My dealer had said 5-7 weeks lol its 8 weeks and still at 1100 but i can wait i got more then half down saved up without my gm points which add up to 3k if they top it off.
Danprh427 is offline   Reply With Quote