Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
francone13

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Barton Short Throw Review - V6

So last night i installed my Barton short throw shifter. Was a pita working under jack stands but got her done. The dust boot on top is pretty hard to install. I decided to cut the rubber pins off of it and just install it like that. The 4 bolts squeeze it up and keep it in place so no problem there. I also wrapped all the threads in teflon tape.
Has for performance goes its amazing. Love the throws short but not to short. I dont hear any rattle or anything maybe a little chatter if i turn off the radio close the windows and try to listen for it but nothing to complain about.
Awesome shifter
francone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Its a great shifter best part is Dave the owner. He will do anything to make you happy. He had a custom shift knob made for me. Here is a pic of it. Best mod for $200 by a long shot.

Name:  pics 2 001.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  111.1 KB

Last edited by Thrillz; 07-23-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
francone13

I got chattering coming out of it past 3k not loud but noticable and once i got over 5k you can really hear it. Where is this coming from? Is it just tranny sounds just being transmitted threw the shifter? and is there any way to make this quiet?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Bama_SIM_Cam
QuickSilver

Drives: LS SIM Stick
Barton Shifter Buzz at High RPM

Same here, except mine starts at about 5k which is why I haven't noticed it before (been babying her this summer I guess ;-). From what I've read, I think one likely culprit is the metal-to-metal contact in the cue ball mount. I am going to take it off and put some Teflon tape over the threads too and see if that improves it. How much did you put on, one layer? More than one?

But first I am going to "experiment" a little more (at >5k) to see if I want to fix it or not. Another indicator of approaching redline isn't necessarily a bad thing:-). But if mine was starting like yours above 3k I would try to fix it now but I don't have any ideas other than the tape.

The next place to try some tape is on the actual shaft. Did you add it there too? I am going to see if I have enough Teflon tape on hand first.

I am interested in what others have observed and done about this too. Just to be clear, it is not a general noise issue. Mine is perfectly quiet until I hit around 5k then a I get a very loud metal-to-metal buzz/chatter neither of which quite do the sound justice. It sounds like a circular saw cutting a nail and it has no perceptible build up, it just starts once the RPM hits its "release me now" limit which for my setup is about 5K.

Bama_SIM_Cam ~ Oneonta, Alabama
Bama_SIM_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
francone13

Iv put it around the actual shaft and around the threads for the knob. I only put one layer so i will try and add some more see how that goes. Then im going to add some dynamat. Ill let everyone know how it goes!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Bama_SIM_Cam
QuickSilver

Drives: LS SIM Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by francone13 View Post
Iv put it around the actual shaft and around the threads for the knob. I only put one layer so i will try and add some more see how that goes. Then im going to add some dynamat. Ill let everyone know how it goes!
Can you tell what height you have your Barton set at? Mine is not all the way down which if I recall is one turn backed off from fully seated. Mine is 5 turns backed off from fully seated with about 12 turns backed off being fully raised. If the chatter is from the shaft or the knob it may be sensitive to the height.

Bama_SIM_Cam ~ Oneonta, Alabama
Bama_SIM_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote