Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Paint Issues? Read this!

As we all know by now there are quite a few paint problems with some of the gen5 camaros. Dirt, runs, chipping, thin spots, peeling, you name it. As an automotive refinisher with 35+ years and a half a dozen certifications, what my paint manufacture representative does when I have an issue is take a MIL test (paint thickness) of the area I refinished. In this case it would be the entire car. The MIL test is like an xray of the paint process. jackr67 followed my advice and had a great blueprint done via the MIL test. ( see his thread under TSB recalls) This test gives him ammo to fight GM. Without it you are wizzing in the wind. It is interesting to note that the 5 cars I tested all had over 8 MILs of paint, almost double what is the norm. This includes mine which oddly has a perfect paint job with NO CHIPS. So why are some effected with issues and others not? Data is needed to answer this question. Get you car MIL tested if it has paint issues. or even if it does not. PM me and jackr67 with the results. We are working on it.

Here is how to get the test.

Find a friendly, quality minded collision body shop that uses one of the major paint brands such as PPG. DuPont, Standox. Ask them if they have a tester or if their rep (who will have one) can test your car. Check out jackr67 thread and try to get this type of test done. Even a few readings over the car is better than nothing. Relay the info to us.

There has been a lot of speculation on this subject. Thin paint, Al Gore, drunk robots you name it. Get the data and you will get the answer! Trust me.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
My vote is for drunk robots! I knew they shouldn't have lowered the drinking age.

tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote