Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Detroit Speed
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Brake pad install

Never mind this site, I have searched the entire Internet and I have yet to find a DIY video, picture or instructions on changing brake pads for a 2010 Camaro.

Is it obvious /easy to do? Does anyone have instructions?

Thanks!
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, very easy! It has been posted several times, but without doing a search:

each caliper has 2 pins that can be pushed/hammered out. That releases the clips and then the pads come right out. be sure to grease the back of the clips when you put on the new pads...I wish the service manual was in PDF :(

Ok, it scanned kind of crappy, sorry
Attached Images
File Type: pdf frontBrakes.pdf (167.4 KB, 225 views)
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
SSLarry

awesome reply! Thanks.

Honestly though, I DID do a search and nada. I assume you have the service manual? Did you fork out the $150 from www.helminc.com ?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Yes, I forked over the $150 ;( Plus fees, plus shipping, came close to $200!! Rip off...however, you get 3 LARGE volumes! Amazing amounts of info...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
SSLarry

Thanks for scanning. I can use that for sure.

Maybe I will make a DIY video and be the first. I ordered my Hawk ceramic street pads because I am sick of the dust.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

No problem. My scanner is old, so not the best. There are a few more pages also, but the fronts & rears are basically the same

I like the Hawk Ceramics too!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
philthy

Drives: 1969 Chevelle/2010 Camaro 2LT
Anybody got the procedure for the V6 brakes?

Pre-ordered November 17, 2008
Delivered May 14, 2009
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Same...procedure. I can double-check when I get home though, but I do believe it's the same...

Last edited by Michael_Js; 07-27-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
philthy

I don't think the V6 brakes have the pins that you tap out.

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Yes, it is a bit different. Hopefully you can read the attached sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf V6Brakes.pdf (231.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
philthy

Thanks for the info!

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
SSLarry

Thanks again for the info.

I just installed the Hawk performance (street) pads in the front. It took 30 minutes total. The hardest part is knocking out the pins to release the hold spring. If not for that, it would have taken 15 minutes total. But overall, piece of cake. I'll do the rears this weekend.

My test drive revealed no strange sounds or vibrations (until I hammered the brakes to invoke the ABS). In fact, it was completely silent in regular braking.