Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Unfortunately MSD Has Abandoned the Dashhawk

I decided to buy a Dashhawk so I could do some 0-60 runs for performance comparisons and also have a look at my intake air temperature.

Anyway, I bought a used on with all parts off Craigslist. Got a good deal. Plugged it into the car on the ride home and everything seemed great. Well today I went to install the software and couldn't get the drivers to work. After some Googling it turns out that the Dashhawk drivers arent 64 bit compatible.

I called the company and asked why they don't state this clearly on their website. Forget clearly. Why don't they state it at all? It's not on the front page. It's not even part of the FAQ. The answer I got was "There's no more development."

"So you're not supporting the product you're still selling on your own site?"

"There's no more development."

"I think that's pretty dishonest. How are people supposed to know it won't work with their computer if you don't tell them?"

"I'm sorry."

Yeah, I can tell.

If you have the Ultimate or Business version, you can apparently run this in XP compatibility mode, which requires lots of extra (but free) software. It's a pain but it can be made to work. Looks like I need to upgrade my entire operating system if I want to run their software.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Sounds like a bum deal. Almost all new OS's are 64-bit these days. I know all of my computers are 64-bit. That's quite disappointing.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
msd sux...i never liked the products...they are prone to high failure from my experience
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Wow .... I did not know that at all. I have Vista and thought it was a 64bit.....nope 32. Sorry John! Turn around and sell to someone with 32bit system.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Rwarchol

Drives: 2010 1LT SIM A6, 2005 GTO TR A4
Anyone know if this will work: http://www.sctdashscan.com/ ? It's cheaper than the Dashhawk and it also estimates hp and tq. It says it works on vehicles up to 2008 but I don't see what the difference would be.
Rwarchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
John VS

Through trial and error I found that it works with Windows 7 Starter which is mostly found on Netbooks. Now I just need to buy a Netbook.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
You could install VM ware, and install a virtual PC running 32bit XP, vista or 7
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
John VS

Quote:
You could install VM ware, and install a virtual PC running 32bit XP, vista or 7
Yeah, there are ways around it. My point is really that it's a lot of effort for anyone buying a new device to go through just to make it work. Not everyone is going to have a copy of XP laying around or know how to find the right software and set it up properly. MSD should be letting people know on the front page of their website that it is not compatible with 64 bit operating systems. I just hope that this kind of dishonesty catches up with them eventually.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
MAGfuz

Drives: 1SS LS3 IOM
tagged as the wires that connect to the actual dashhawk for mine started tearing away, and there's only so many times you can re-solder something before it wont anymore. I didn't find a guy that does the cables for $40, only takes him a month to make. That may be the way to go for me, but this is great for anyone looking to do things like dashhawk, only cheaper
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote