Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Dealer misdiagnosed..Should I have to pay for this??

So, I installed AAC's footwell lighting a few weeks ago. I plugged it into my fuse block using an add a circuit so I could power it from a push button on my dash. I pulled the same fuse shown in AAC's installation pictures.

When I pulled the fuse out of the block to plug into the add-a-circuit, it disconnected the onstar signal from the airbag deployment.

I didn't know this at the time, I only saw the "Service airbag" on my screen.

So I took my car in after having set up an appointment a week in advance, and the service employee told me I had no appointment.. so he set me up with another appointment a week later.

I told him the first time I brought it in that I had installed some footwell lighting and had to disconnect a fuse to do so. The same night that I installed it was the night the message started to appear. He told me "Ok, well we will find out what is going on but I don't think that would be it. I think we will have to replace your entire module"

I took the car in again, and he said they would set me up with a rental car free of charge and GM will cover the costs. I didn't ask for a rental, I didn't even need one. The service guy set me up with one because he told me it was under warranty.

I had the rental car all yesterday, and he called me today telling me they didn't work on it at all yesterday even though I bought it in at 9 AM. He told me they hadn't found out what's wrong with it yet but he thinks they need to replace the module because that's what the onstar diagnostic says.

After a full day of looking at my car, they finally decide to check out the fuse bock like i mentioned in the first place, and the technician said that had broke the ciruit giving off the signal to onstar.

The service guy called me back later tonight and told me that the diagnostics will not be covered under warranty and I must also pay for the rental car.

I'm a little steamed about this, even though the initial problem was my own fault.

They offered me a rental car I didn't need, telling me that it would be covered under the warranty by GM. I had this car all yesterday when they didn't even look at my car yesterday, and I could have just brought my camaro in today. Plus the charges in diagnostics would have been slim to NOTHING if they had checked out what I said first. Instead he diagnoses it as a faulty module needing to be replaced??

I'm wondering if you guys could help me out here. I've got a lot of information on my answering machine from this service tech. showing clear proof of what I've mentioned above.

Any opinions/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
The problem was created by you, and you knew it.

Your nickel.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
The problem was created by you, and you knew it.

Your nickel.
I told him what I did up front and he told me the diagnostic by onstar didn't match that so he didn't think that was the problem. He then set me up with the rental car telling me it was covered by the warranty.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,904
Sounds like crap to me... since when do you pay for an Onstar diagnostic anyway?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
I told him what I did up front and he told me the diagnostic by onstar didn't match that so he didn't think that was the problem. He then set me up with the rental car telling me it was covered by the warranty.
That is correct, but you KNEW the problem wasn't going to be covered, regardless of what the advisor said. Ergo, the rental car would not be covered. Since you said you didn't need a rental, why did you take it? Were you forced to take it?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,904
These places need to start listening to what is being told to them instead of doing whatever they want first charging you for it and then doing what is asked of them. Sure you should pay to have them fix the problem, but you pointed them to it. You didn't want the rental either... they made you take it. Here I know you don't need it but here is a nice new ZR1... oh wait a minute, I told you it was free but now you have to pay for that. Nice doing business with you.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,904
Why wouldn't the rental be covered? I thought any time that they need to keep the car overnight a rental is provided?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
That is correct, but you KNEW the problem wasn't going to be covered, regardless of what the advisor said. Ergo, the rental car would not be covered. Since you said you didn't need a rental, why did you take it? Were you forced to take it?
I wasn't forced to take it, I was under the false impression it would be covered because of our conversation. He told me onstar was diagnosing it as a faulty module and that wouldn't come from the lighting install.

I didn't need a rental car, so of course I wouldn't have taken one if I had to pay for it. But I wasn't going to fight it because he told me it was covered.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
I wasn't forced to take it, I was under the false impression it would be covered because of our conversation. He told me onstar was diagnosing it as a faulty module and that wouldn't come from the lighting install.

I didn't need a rental car, so of course I wouldn't have taken one if I had to pay for it. But I wasn't going to fight it because he told me it was covered.
I'm sure OnStar DID diagnose it as a bad module [no signal], but OnStar DIDN'T KNOW you pulled the fuse. YOU DID.

End of story.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,985
baztards
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
These places need to start listening to what is being told to them instead of doing whatever they want first charging you for it and then doing what is asked of them. Sure you should pay to have them fix the problem, but you pointed them to it. You didn't want the rental either... they made you take it. Here I know you don't need it but here is a nice new ZR1... oh wait a minute, I told you it was free but now you have to pay for that. Nice doing business with you.
I agree. If theres a chance I have to pay for everything, they should check what I mention first. That should be no question.

That's what I'm curious about. If there is no one being held accountable what stops these people from taking advantage of their costumers? They could have left my car in their "shop" for a week saying it was "being diagnosed" or they could replace expensive parts that don't need to be.

All I'm saying is they should only be able to charge me for the amount of time it took to diagnose and fix the actual problem (5 minutes?).

And if you say something is covered by GM, whether it really should or not, they should be held to their word. Or AT LEAST let me know that depending on the problem, it may not be covered so it's my option whether or not to take a rental.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
thiggin2
 
thiggin2's Avatar
 
Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Sounds to me like the dealer put his foot in his mouth. You can NEVER guess its a module because most of the time its not. Also Onstar CAN NOT diag anything. All they can do is read a code. They are not the tech. Beacuse of what the service adviser told you they should eat the cost. Next time something like this happens, is advise the customer that they may be liable for the cost of repair if its determined its not a warranty issue like this.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
I'm sure OnStar DID diagnose it as a bad module [no signal], but OnStar DIDN'T KNOW you pulled the fuse. YOU DID.

End of story.
The service tech knew I pulled the fuse. Upon receiving this information he told me that would not be the problem.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
thiggin2
 
thiggin2's Avatar
 
Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
I'm sure OnStar DID diagnose it as a bad module [no signal], but OnStar DIDN'T KNOW you pulled the fuse. YOU DID.

End of story.
What if it was a bad connection or an open wire. OnStar CAN NOT diag anything, they can only read codes.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
The service tech knew I pulled the fuse. Upon receiving this information he told me that would not be the problem.
Your original post said you told him you pulled "A" fuse. Had you told him you pulled "THE" fuse that would trip this particular code, my guess is the outcome would have been different.

Seriously, you knew this was your fault, you knew it wouldn't be covered, and now you're throwing the dealer under the bus?

Didn't you just post something about how people should be "held accountable"? That doesn't include you, I guess?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
What if it was a bad connection or an open wire. OnStar CAN NOT diag anything, they can only read codes.
Absolutely correct.

However, the "no signal" code CAN be interpreted as a bad module [until further diagnostics are performed]. If you KNOW that YOU caused the code to be there, how is it NOT your responsibility?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Absolutely correct.

However, the "no signal" code CAN be interpreted as a bad module [until further diagnostics are performed]. If you KNOW that YOU caused the code to be there, how is it NOT your responsibility?
I am more than aware it was my fault for the actual problem. I've got no issue with paying for the time it took to diagnose I pulled a fuse, and whatever time it took to reprogram the module.

I'm not going to be taken advantage of because of misleading information given to me by the dealer though. That's bad business practice on the Chevy technicians end. A rental car and hours of diagnostics on every aspect of my car besides what I tell him causes the problem in the first place... well that's just garbage.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
thiggin2
 
thiggin2's Avatar
 
Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Absolutely correct.

However, the "no signal" code CAN be interpreted as a bad module [until further diagnostics are performed]. If you KNOW that YOU caused the code to be there, how is it NOT your responsibility?
Yes I agree, but the dealer should not have insured that it would be covered until the problem was located. The adviser should have also asked which fuse was pulled. The problem is most advisers do not ask any questions. All they do is write the RO up with the words that comes out of the customers mouth. Most customer never tell the whole story. I am a tech at a GM shop and I see this all the time.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
thiggin2
 
thiggin2's Avatar
 
Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
That's bad business practice on the Chevy technicians end.
Was it the tech that you talked too or the adviser??
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,112
He said, she said...who gives two craps. If the dealer DID INDEED say the warranty would cover the rental, regardless of what they find, the car should be covered by the warranty or the dealer should eat it. Never promise the customer one thing without the contingency clause stating if the repair is found not to be a warranty item, the customer is on the hook for the rental. Without that disclaimer, based on what was said here actually went down, Judge Judy would throw that dealer under the bus.

I see it's BOTH parties fault.
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
2010SLVRBULIT


 
2010SLVRBULIT's Avatar
 
Drives: G5 & C6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MARS
Posts: 6,717
should've 1rst had the code read/deleted by an autoshop, when you realized what you had done. If it came back again, then send it off to the dealer...
2010SLVRBULIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #22
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Was it the tech that you talked too or the adviser??
The person I talked to and dealt with the whole time was behind the desk inside the service garage. I don't think he was the actual technician. Although, he did try to diagnose the initial problem once he called onstar. He was checking things out and then called up a technician. After the tech couldn't spot anything, I told him about the lighting, and the guy behind the service desk told me they would figure it out next week and set me up with a rental.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Yes I agree, but the dealer should not have insured that it would be covered until the problem was located. The adviser should have also asked which fuse was pulled. The problem is most advisers do not ask any questions. All they do is write the RO up with the words that comes out of the customers mouth. Most customer never tell the whole story. I am a tech at a GM shop and I see this all the time.
You are exactly correct in every respect.

However, in this instance, the op KNEW he and he alone caused the problem. The advisor was ASSUMING GM would be on the hook. See my point? If the op honestly didn't know he caused the issue, or it the code popped up a day later, I would be in complete agreement. However, that's not the case here.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
You are exactly correct in every respect.

However, in this instance, the op KNEW he and he alone caused the problem. The advisor was ASSUMING GM would be on the hook. See my point? If the op honestly didn't know he caused the issue, or it the code popped up a day later, I would be in complete agreement. HOwever, that's not the case here.
I thought I had caused the problem, which is why I told him about the lighting. He turned around and told me that it did not match the onstar diagnostic code. Therefore, I thought that it was just a coincidence. i'm not a car junky, I didn't install the lighting - my friend did. I had no clue plugging in a fuse would cause an airbag problem.

It's not like I held any information from anyone. I said all that I could and he still told me it was covered.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
thiggin2
 
thiggin2's Avatar
 
Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
The person I talked to and dealt with the whole time was behind the desk inside the service garage. I don't think he was the actual technician. Although, he did try to diagnose the initial problem once he called onstar. He was checking things out and then called up a technician. After the tech couldn't spot anything, I told him about the lighting, and the guy behind the service desk told me they would figure it out next week and set me up with a rental.
Thats the biggest problem with dealerships, Most advisers THINK they are techs. Most of the time they dont know shit . Why would they even bother calling Onstar??? What are they going to do . What a dumbass adviser.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SS is Finally at my dealer CWI 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 3 06-23-2009 08:30 PM
Absolutely.. cannot... do.. MSRP (dealer words) Shadowmind Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 22 06-13-2009 10:54 AM
Some Dealer Info..... KarlChev Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 82 04-23-2009 08:16 AM
Answeres to questions I have stumbled on dieseldave24v 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 02-23-2009 06:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.