Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #51
aldaran

Drives: 2000 Camaro & 2005 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
STOP USING THE INTERNET! STOP USING ALL TELEPHONES! STOP DRIVING IN AREAS THAT HAVE CAMERAS SET UP! STOP GOING TO STORES THAT HAVE SECURITY CAMERAS! DON"T LEAVE YOUR HOUSE OR TALK TO ANYONE!

Get a life and stop being so Paranoid..... I would hate to be someone that worried all the time about someone spying on them, the only ones needing to worry are the ones that have something to hide. If you screw up and have an accident and you were speeding, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS, don't try to blame someone because of your stupidity...

I agree 100%.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #52
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
and thats all i got to say about that
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #53
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
So how can we remove the entire onstar system?

I'm sorry I don't need to be stiffed with an ambulance bill because someone backed into my car with a packsack on the seat....
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #54
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Lets look at the pros and cons of Onstar:

Pros :

It CAN save lives.
It is a GPS.
It can help you get reservations.
It tells you if something is wrong with your car.
It can help you locate your car if stolen.
It can unlock your doors if you lock your keys in your car.
It reminds you about recalls.
It can be used to call for assistance (ie you see a accident)
It is a nice tool if you need it in court.
Turn by turn NAV is great.
And did I mention, it CAN save the lifes of you and your loved ones?

Cons:

If you're drunk and run a red light and kill somebody, it will help you rot in jail.
If you traffic cocain, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to blow up govenment or medical buildings, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to street race like a retard, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to steal cars, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to talk about killing the president in your car, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to run over kids and leave the scene of a crime, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rob banks, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rape women in your cars, it will help you rot in jail.

Sounds to me like people who dislike Onstar because "THE MAN IS KEEPING US DOWN" have something to hide and/or break the law. People recording people isnt something new people, and you're not going to win with your "Freedom of Speech" bullcrap. It clearly states that OnStar just doesnt hit the record button whenever it feels like it. Start breaking the law, and Onstar could help you behind bars, and to me thats a good thing.
One thing I hate is stupid people being retarded and break the law. I still dont understand how you can dislike Onstar.
If you dont break the law, then how can you hate it? Who cares if they listen to you plowing your wife on a saturday night?

The first time I ever used Onstar I got directions to my mothers house. I knew the way i just wanted to see how it works, and it was so nice. If they want, they can listen to me rock out to Disturbed, because I know I'm not breaking the law.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #55
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman1346 View Post
Lets look at the pros and cons of Onstar:

Pros :

It CAN save lives.
It is a GPS.
It can help you get reservations.
It tells you if something is wrong with your car.
It can help you locate your car if stolen.
It can unlock your doors if you lock your keys in your car.
It reminds you about recalls.
It can be used to call for assistance (ie you see a accident)
It is a nice tool if you need it in court.
Turn by turn NAV is great.
And did I mention, it CAN save the lifes of you and your loved ones?

Cons:

If you're drunk and run a red light and kill somebody, it will help you rot in jail.
If you traffic cocain, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to blow up govenment or medical buildings, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to street race like a retard, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to steal cars, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to talk about killing the president in your car, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to run over kids and leave the scene of a crime, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rob banks, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rape women in your cars, it will help you rot in jail.

Sounds to me like people who dislike Onstar because "THE MAN IS KEEPING US DOWN" have something to hide and/or break the law. People recording people isnt something new people, and you're not going to win with your "Freedom of Speech" bullcrap. It clearly states that OnStar just doesnt hit the record button whenever it feels like it. Start breaking the law, and Onstar could help you behind bars, and to me thats a good thing.
One thing I hate is stupid people being retarded and break the law. I still dont understand how you can dislike Onstar.
If you dont break the law, then how can you hate it? Who cares if they listen to you plowing your wife on a saturday night?

The first time I ever used Onstar I got directions to my mothers house. I knew the way i just wanted to see how it works, and it was so nice. If they want, they can listen to me rock out to Disturbed, because I know I'm not breaking the law.

+ 1K
Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #56
espo19047

Drives: Impala
Send a message via AIM to espo19047
Sounds like someone has been listening to Glenn Beck. I have OnStar in my Impala and I don't think the FBI cares what I am up to. I had OnStar in my Trailblazer since 2004 and I did not see one black helicopter.
espo19047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #57
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Hey don't look now but someone is watching you over your shoulder!

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo19047 View Post
Sounds like someone has been listening to Glenn Beck. I have OnStar in my Impala and I don't think the FBI cares what I am up to. I had OnStar in my Trailblazer since 2004 and I did not see one black helicopter.
But Glenn Beck speaks nothing but the truth, like everyone else at Fox news ...

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #59
coolman

I let a fart go the other morning before my wife got in , and she ask me if that was me and I said "no". The next thing I know onstar came on and said yes it was. Exactly 2min ago at a 25decibles and a stink factor of ten.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #60
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I let a fart go the other morning before my wife got in , and she ask me if that was me and I said "no". The next thing I know onstar came on and said yes it was. Exactly 2min ago at a 25decibles and a stink factor of ten.
win
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #61
barking tires
Supercharger

Drives: 2SS Camaro
OnStar is just a fancy name for BigBrother
barking tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #62
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I'd worry more about a cell phone that can be heard by good old fashioned police scanners than I would about OnStar
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #63
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Cut the antenna cable or ride a horse... we all have bigger problems in our country.
I for one will accept the on-star.....if the car gets ripped off I at least stand the chance to get my investment back. If on-star really is listening in on my conversations......maybe they can remember the number I didnt write down from that hot blonde leaning in the passenger window last week.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #64
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #65
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Just in case you missed it,

Scientists Hack Into Cars' Computers -- Control Brakes, Engine
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sci...ry?id=11448163
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #66
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
If you peel back the Onstar sticker on the button you will find the red censor eye.

HAL 9000

http://www.google.com/search?client=...nstar+Hal+9000
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #67
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Cool Don't give 'em nuthin'!

There is FAR TOO MUCH SNOOPIN' as it is. For those of y'all old enough to remember when the 4th Amendment still meant sumpthin'; and a man was secure in his phone calls, mail, garbage and the trunk of his car, allowing Onstar, voluntarily, to be spying on ya', is foolishness in the extreme.

If ya' got it, cancel it. If ya' can't cancel it, don't turn it on; let it expire...
Anonymity is your right!

P.S. If ya' can live without a cellular telephone, all the better. I own one, but its stays turned off on the kitchen counter. It'll probably stay there until the wife wants me to take it along when we go on a trip... And even then, I'll be damned if I'll use it.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #68
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivas View Post
There is FAR TOO MUCH SNOOPIN' as it is. For those of y'all old enough to remember when the 4th Amendment still meant sumpthin'; and a man was secure in his phone calls, mail, garbage and the trunk of his car, allowing Onstar, voluntarily, to be spying on ya', is foolishness in the extreme.

If ya' got it, cancel it. If ya' can't cancel it, don't turn it on; let it expire...
Anonymity is your right!

P.S. If ya' can live without a cellular telephone, all the better. I own one, but its stays turned off on the kitchen counter. It'll probably stay there until the wife wants me to take it along when we go on a trip... And even then, I'll be damned if I'll use it.
Not to get into politics but ... the
4th amendment of the US constitution deals with "reasonable expectation of privacy" as such it does not apply to cars that are (for the extreme majority of the time) driven on public roads

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #69
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
That ain't the way the Warren Court AND ITS PREDECESSORS saw it. Invasion of privacy was something we shunned in our basic understandings of liberty. It seems that most of you ARE too young to remember these elementary tenets of American jurisprudence...
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #70
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Yes, OnStar is monitoring the conversations between you and your spouse to find out exactly what you were going to pick up for dinner that night. Exactly.

And for everyone's who's concerned about privacy, exactly what are you doing on the Internet?

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #71
TahoeCamaro

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivas View Post

Anonymity is your right!

Paranoid much?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #72
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
OnStar doesn't care. They don't care if you're speeding. They don't care if you're racing. They don't care if you're a drug addict. They don't care if you like to have sex in your car. They don't care. They aren't listening unless the car requests OnStar.

OnStar is a call center. They receive calls from cars. Those calls are only initiated by the car because you either pushed the OnStar button or your car's crash sensor were activated. There is no other reason for OnStar to be on your phone.

"But I got a call in my car from someone trying to sell me stuff." I know. I'm sorry. I'm sure you've been called on telemarketers on your home or cell phone, too. Am I right? Do you know how I knew that? All phones can receive calls. OnStar does include a phone, but it does not mean that the person on the other end of the phone is necessarily an OnStar representative. That's how you can call your mom from your car by saying "dial" and then your mom's number. Just because you have an AT&T phone doesn't mean you're only using the phone to call AT&T. Other people can call that number. That is not spying.

OnStar is not trying to hold down a revolution or anything. None of us are trying to revolt. And from what would we be revolting? If we didn't want a Chevrolet, we have the free will to choose something else, so OnStar is not somehow enforcing the will of General Motors on us.

Let's talk about OnStar customer service associates. They are just like you. They go to work. They do their job. They go home. Do you think they care what happens in your car? If they did care, what would motivate them? Does your anti-OnStar conspiracy theory consider this? Would it take commissions and bonuses to make people care about what happens in your car? How big of a commission would it take for you to care what happens in my car? This is what OnStar reps are thinking if they are reading these threads. They don't care.

Let me tell you what does matter to OnStar representatives. They want you to buy OnStar. If you're scared of OnStar and don't buy OnStar, OnStar does not make money. They can lose their jobs if that happens too much, so they want to provide awesome customer service and sell profit generators that make you want to buy the service. That's all they want. Just like you want to be relevant at your job, OnStar reps want to be relevant at their jobs. They want you to want their service so they can keep their jobs.

Let's summarize: OnStar doesn't care what happens in your car.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #73
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Does this thread still exist? Holy moly....

I guess this discussion also proves freedom of speech is still a right, even if it's paranoid drivel.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #74
TahoeCamaro

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
OnStar doesn't care. They don't care if you're speeding. They don't care if you're racing. They don't care if you're a drug addict. They don't care if you like to have sex in your car. They don't care. They aren't listening unless the car requests OnStar.

OnStar is a call center. They receive calls from cars. Those calls are only initiated by the car because you either pushed the OnStar button or your car's crash sensor were activated. There is no other reason for OnStar to be on your phone.

"But I got a call in my car from someone trying to sell me stuff." I know. I'm sorry. I'm sure you've been called on telemarketers on your home or cell phone, too. Am I right? Do you know how I knew that? All phones can receive calls. OnStar does include a phone, but it does not mean that the person on the other end of the phone is necessarily an OnStar representative. That's how you can call your mom from your car by saying "dial" and then your mom's number. Just because you have an AT&T phone doesn't mean you're only using the phone to call AT&T. Other people can call that number. That is not spying.

OnStar is not trying to hold down a revolution or anything. None of us are trying to revolt. And from what would we be revolting? If we didn't want a Chevrolet, we have the free will to choose something else, so OnStar is not somehow enforcing the will of General Motors on us.

Let's talk about OnStar customer service associates. They are just like you. They go to work. They do their job. They go home. Do you think they care what happens in your car? If they did care, what would motivate them? Does your anti-OnStar conspiracy theory consider this? Would it take commissions and bonuses to make people care about what happens in your car? How big of a commission would it take for you to care what happens in my car? This is what OnStar reps are thinking if they are reading these threads. They don't care.

Let me tell you what does matter to OnStar representatives. They want you to buy OnStar. If you're scared of OnStar and don't buy OnStar, OnStar does not make money. They can lose their jobs if that happens too much, so they want to provide awesome customer service and sell profit generators that make you want to buy the service. That's all they want. Just like you want to be relevant at your job, OnStar reps want to be relevant at their jobs. They want you to want their service so they can keep their jobs.

Let's summarize: OnStar doesn't care what happens in your car.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #75
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
OnStar can listen in on your conversation in your car in exactly the same way the phone companies listen in to everything you say around your cell phone. And you carry that EVERYWHERE don't you. Laced with sarcasm there.

If you are affraid of OnStar, you should be affraid of your cell phone. Same deal. Of course that probably only sets of rampant paranoia in some.

But Blur pretty much summed it up. All it would take is one case where OnStar listened in on someone and the business model implodes.

OnStar only collects data on your car if you GIVE PERMISSION. If you don't give that permission nothing is collected.

OnStar guards your security and privacy more than you do. The business model doesn't work otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure the government can listen in on any conversation you have in your car without OnStar's help. That is unless you have XM or Sirius. Those turn your radio into a 2-way. LOL