Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #29
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,836
OnStar calls an ambulance for you and your family, dispatches them to your crash location, and possibly saves your lives, even if you're unconcious.

Priceless!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #30
lalometalik
killer bAnana
 
lalometalik's Avatar
 
Drives: 1985 z28
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

No worries here. Even if this is some sort of grand conspiracy...OnStar is too valuable to me: I won't jeopardize mine + my families safety (or potential safety...) because I'm afraid the government's watching me....

*dons tin-foil hat*
thats how they want you to think

sure, conspiracies can sound ridiculous sometimes, but other times the majority just has to wake up to what goes on around them.
i feel our way of life demands the following thought process:
"take care of yourself and your family and dont bother with what goes on around you. live in your bubble, everything will be fine" <--- im ok with this

this country will eventually become a police state, it just sucks to see it unwind.

we still have bacon wrapped hot-dogs
__________________


"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #31
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO, 15 Impala, 07 Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
thats how they want you to think

sure, conspiracies can sound ridiculous sometimes, but other times the majority just has to wake up to what goes on around them.
i feel our way of life demands the following thought process:
"take care of yourself and your family and dont bother with what goes on around you. live in your bubble, everything will be fine" <--- im ok with this

this country will eventually become a police state, it just sucks to see it unwind.

we still have bacon wrapped hot-dogs
I can see why you feel this way, you live in California..... The most paranoid state in the country!
I have a suggestion for you, If you are so scared of being spied upon here, You can always try to find a better country and move there.....
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #32
lalometalik
killer bAnana
 
lalometalik's Avatar
 
Drives: 1985 z28
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I can see why you feel this way, you live in California..... The most paranoid state in the country!
I have a suggestion for you, If you are so scared of being spied upon here, You can always try to find a better country and move there.....
no where in my post did i write i was scared of being spied on. and if i was being spied on so be it. im as open as the 'post whore' on 'Headpunters avatar' thread.
This is still the best country in the world, why would i want to move elsewhere? my issue comes with if the govt violates our rights as citizens, but until then, im fine and dandy.
your post is a FAIL

:flag2:
__________________


"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,511
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think I picked up on some of the issues:
  1. it might catch or prevent speeding
  2. it could stop terrorists
  3. it might catch people lying about running red lights
  4. it could confirm or deny alibis
I'm not too familiar with the US constitution, or bill of rights, but I don't think there is anything that says you are free to break the law.

Lastly, just put on a tinfoil hat and you'll be fine. It interferes with On* when they try to monitor your activities
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #34
99b4c
 
Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago/Phoenix
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
member 99b4c mentioned being able to order it on 09 models in this thread. i would imagine it will still work. rebate? no clue.
I hope the RPO delete code UE0 works, and wish someone from GM could confirm it. anyone?

I just dont want the service or equipment, I plan to keep this next Camaro for a very long time and dont want useless (to me) electronics in it. I am not buying a Camaro to save my life, I am buying it for fun.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #35
Leedogg
 
Drives: 1996 Trans Am
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brewton AL
Posts: 22
Personally- as one who enjoys ventures well above proper speed levels...and a general outlaw way of thinking- I hate onstar. I hate to think that if I get a case of mistaken identity, and the lawdogs can call onstar and find me at any given time. That is just my southern rebelion I suppose. Plus- I MAY NOT want the authorities to know if I had a wreck! What if I am at the track and smack a wall- lord forbid- then the cops show up and right an accident report...there goes my insurance rates. I just don't want the government to have access to my vehicle....period. Kinda like them having a camera in my bedroom IMO.
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 AM   #36
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO, 15 Impala, 07 Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedogg View Post
Personally- as one who enjoys ventures well above proper speed levels...and a general outlaw way of thinking- I hate onstar. I hate to think that if I get a case of mistaken identity, and the lawdogs can call onstar and find me at any given time. That is just my southern rebelion I suppose. Plus- I MAY NOT want the authorities to know if I had a wreck! What if I am at the track and smack a wall- lord forbid- then the cops show up and right an accident report...there goes my insurance rates. I just don't want the government to have access to my vehicle....period. Kinda like them having a camera in my bedroom IMO.
On-Star will try to contact you first and ASK you if you need assistance, they don't automatically dispatch the authorities unless they cannot contact you through onstar. If you say you do not need assistance none will be sent.

So much misinformation and assumptions being made, mostly by people wanting to break the law... If you don't like On-Star then buy something else or just disconnect the On-Star antenna, problem solved.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 11-21-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #37
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO, 15 Impala, 07 Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
no where in my post did i write i was scared of being spied on. and if i was being spied on so be it. im as open as the 'post whore' on 'Headpunters avatar' thread.
This is still the best country in the world, why would i want to move elsewhere? my issue comes with if the govt violates our rights as citizens, but until then, im fine and dandy.
your post is a FAIL

:flag2:
maybe you were being sarcastic, with your post, but it did not come off that way, and if I missinterpreted it the I am sorry.


Have a great day!
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #38
MLL67RSSS

 
MLL67RSSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,468
Right there has to be reasonable suspicion for a judge to issue a subpoena and get the records after the fact. However note that since On-Star received a "collision notification" and called the vehicle to see if assistance was needed the recording of the kids voice, proof that he was there and in that vehicle at that time, is what sealed his fate.

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- Investigators said a Manalapan teenager was caught causing $24,800 worth of damage to a soccer field after the On-Star system in his car tipped off police that he was the culprit.

Authorities said the 17-year-old spun a 2007 GMC Denali to make "donuts" all over the soccer field at Saint Joseph's School located at 3300 S. Seacrest Blvd. in Boynton Beach on Nov.21, according to a police report.

Police used On-Star GPS records to link the teen to the scene at the time of the vandalism, according to the report.

A police subpoenae of OnStar documents revealed that the company received a "collision notification" and that an OnStar employee contacted the teen, whose voice was then recorded.

The 17-year-old is facing charges of reckless driving and criminal mischief.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/15651948/detail.html
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #39
Leedogg
 
Drives: 1996 Trans Am
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brewton AL
Posts: 22
See! I mean who hasn't done donuts somewhere??? Sure a schools soccer field ain't cool...but I've done more than my share in the schools parking lot back in the day. Reckless driving tickets and I don't like each other.LOL
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #40
Leedogg
 
Drives: 1996 Trans Am
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brewton AL
Posts: 22
Other than that- like others have said- crap is just in the way...my Yukon has that crap- and it pisses my off everytime I accidentally hit the button and it talks to me. I don't subscribe to it- so it is just in the way.

Personally I'd like my SS minus the onstar AND minus the radio...I'd rather have my own sound system installed.
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #41
99b4c
 
Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago/Phoenix
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedogg View Post
Other than that- like others have said- crap is just in the way...my Yukon has that crap- and it pisses my off everytime I accidentally hit the button and it talks to me. I don't subscribe to it- so it is just in the way.

Personally I'd like my SS minus the onstar AND minus the radio...I'd rather have my own sound system installed.
I dont plan on breaking any laws in my new Camaro and I dont think I'm being watched, last time I outran the law was back in 94 in my IROC L98 and that Caprice didnt have a chance.

Just in case I wanna try it again, it would be nice to have Onstar delete and less buttons inside.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #42
Leedogg
 
Drives: 1996 Trans Am
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brewton AL
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
I dont plan on breaking any laws in my new Camaro and I dont think I'm being watched, last time I outran the law was back in 94 in my IROC L98 and that Caprice didnt have a chance.

Just in case I wanna try it again, it would be nice to have Onstar delete and less buttons inside.
We think very much alike. I am about to buy a 99 Z28 though...I won't buy a new Camaro till 11 or 12...by then the onstar will be manditory.
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does Cell Service Work with OnStar and Bluetooth? 69er Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 5 01-03-2009 01:31 PM
ONSTAR AND XM??? TRIXXTERR 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 11-09-2008 08:10 AM
No Spy Shots. What's this mean? Camaro_crazy 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 38 05-14-2008 04:05 PM
OnStar, police catch alleged G8 thief camaro5 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 04-13-2008 10:01 PM
Ford Sync: the next OnStar? Pencil.Fight General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 2 01-15-2008 09:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.