Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #76
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
If you are that paranoid you should be more worried about the satellites in the sky than onstar they can spot a pimple on your ass.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #77
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
boogy boogy......look out for the men in black....boogy boogy....
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #78
Berean

Drives: Truck
1876: The telephone is invented.

1898: Magnetic recorder invented and applied to wire (telephone) recordings. Law enforcement demands access for criminal investigations.

1928: US Supreme Court declares wire tapping without judicial approval constitutional. Olmstead v. United States

1967: US Supreme Court declares wire tapping must have judicial approval. Katz v. Unite States

1994: Congress passes the Communication Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) act. The Act obliges telecommunications companies to make it possible for law enforcement agencies to tap any phone conversations carried out over its networks, as well as making call detail records available. The act stipulates that it must not be possible for a person to detect that his or her conversation is being monitored by the respective government agency.

1995: On Star is invented..........
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #79
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
OnStar is a FOR PROFIT business. Can you IMAGINE what would happen to thier profits if law enforcement were to actually USE that OPTIONAL system against a OnStar customer on a regular basis?!?!

THINK ABOUT IT! The Onstar antennas would be flying into garbage bins all over the country. NOBODY would pay for it ever again if it would be making it easier for huge numbers of car owners to get fined or locked up every day. It just does not add up. OnStar has a very big interest in keeping our privacy, private.

The only reason anyone would fear OnStar is strictly paranoia.

Could government make an effort to monitor people more intrusively at some point in the future? OK - yes it is possible, but lets remember to do a reality check now before we throw the OnStar baby out with the bath water. If my wife and child have an accident in my car and can't reach for help, I want OnStar on the job for me. Get a grip!

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #80
Berean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
OnStar is a FOR PROFIT business. Can you IMAGINE what would happen to thier profits if law enforcement were to actually USE that OPTIONAL system against a OnStar customer on a regular basis?!?!

THINK ABOUT IT! The Onstar antennas would be flying into garbage bins all over the country. NOBODY would pay for it ever again if it would be making it easier for huge numbers of car owners to get fined or locked up every day. It just does not add up. OnStar has a very big interest in keeping our privacy, private.

The only reason anyone would fear OnStar is strictly paranoia.

Could government make an effort to monitor people more intrusively at some point in the future? OK - yes it is possible, but lets remember to do a reality check now before we throw the OnStar baby out with the bath water. If my wife and child have an accident in my car and can't reach for help, I want OnStar on the job for me. Get a grip!

-Mark.

Apparently you missed my post directly above yours.

If the Government does get unrestricted access to Onstar data, I doubt most people will even hear about it. How many people know about CALEA? How many people threw their phones out as a result? It will be the same with Onstar.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #81
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644

Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #82
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
There are a few people in my life I've had to deal with, with their rampant paranoia. There is just one thing iI drilled into their head that you need to remember:

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU! NOBODY!

They don't care what you're calling your mom about, they don't care that you are doing 100 in a 55, they don't care that you're shagging your mistress in the back seat parked by the pier, and they certainly don't care that you are picking your nose in traffic.

All they care about is that the money you pay for the service with is green.

lets say it all again...

NOONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT YOU.

Read it, remember it, live by it.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #83
Berean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU! NOBODY!

lets say it all again...

NOONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT YOU.

Another great Rogue Leader quote.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #84
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Another great Rogue Leader quote.
LOL yes, I remember you had my quote about the clutch in your sig for a while LOL.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #85
Berean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
LOL yes, I remember you had my quote about the clutch in your sig for a while LOL.

I still do, but translated it to Latin and substituted horse for clutch since there's no Latin word for clutch.

Furcifer Rector = Rogue Leader
Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #86
jcamere94z28

Drives: None
If you are speeding and you crash.... it's your fault... be ready to pay for it.

If you are using your Camaro for terrorism... then be ready to pay for it.

If you are running red lights... and get into an accident... you are responsible... pay for it.

All in all... if you are doing something illegal then be ready for the consequences. I know that if you are productive member of society then you really have nothing to worry about and OnStar is even a great help for many situations.

And if you were worried about OnStar... you might want to stay away from the INTERNET ALL TOGETHER.
jcamere94z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #87
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Apparently you missed my post directly above yours.

If the Government does get unrestricted access to Onstar data, I doubt most people will even hear about it. How many people know about CALEA? How many people threw their phones out as a result? It will be the same with Onstar.
I read it - come back and tell me about some names of people that have been caught just because of OnStar and we will have something to worry about. I am not talking about stolen cars being recovered. I want an example of someones OnStar history being used against them by law enforcement some time in the last 5 years. If you have it, bring it.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #88
Berean

Quote:
I read it - come back and tell me about some names of people that have been caught just because of OnStar and we will have something to worry about. I am not talking about stolen cars being recovered. I want an example of someones OnStar history being used against them by law enforcement some time in the last 5 years. If you have it, bring it.

-Mark.
If you're asking that questions, then you didn't read my post, or don't understand the point.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #89
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamere94z28 View Post
If you are speeding and you crash.... it's your fault... be ready to pay for it.

If you are using your Camaro for terrorism... then be ready to pay for it.

If you are running red lights... and get into an accident... you are responsible... pay for it.

All in all... if you are doing something illegal then be ready for the consequences. I know that if you are productive member of society then you really have nothing to worry about and OnStar is even a great help for many situations.

And if you were worried about OnStar... you might want to stay away from the INTERNET ALL TOGETHER.
well said.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #90
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
Don't run red lights or use your camaro for a car bomb. problem solved.
I'm not an outlaw.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #91
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Talking Freedom of Information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeCamaro View Post
Paranoid much?
It ain't paranoid if the mofo's really are reading your mail, monitoring your phone calls and following your movements. It happened to me, and the other militants in the anti-war movement of the 1970's. He wasn't called Tricky Dick Nixon for nothing, you know.:(

If your old enough to have lived those times, I suggest you request your FBI files. They are, at least partially, available under the Freedom of Information Act. You might be surprised...
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #92
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivas View Post
It ain't paranoid if the mofo's really are reading your mail, monitoring your phone calls and following your movements. It happened to me, and the other militants in the anti-war movement of the 1970's. He wasn't called Tricky Dick Nixon for nothing, you know.:(

If your old enough to have lived those times, I suggest you request your FBI files. They are, at least partially, available under the Freedom of Information Act. You might be surprised...

Seriously, what are you doing on the Internet?

If you really want to make sure nobody's watching you (even though, as already stated above, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU), then go sit in the middle of a forest for the rest of your life.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #93
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

If you really want to make sure nobody's watching you (even though, as already stated above, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU), then go sit in the middle of a forest for the rest of your life.

They have eyes everywhere lol.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #94
Ivas
el Ruco

Quote:

Do YOU seriously believe that I am afraid of the Internet. It is a very useful tool to correspond with others. And a way to organize regular folk for social justice in a myriad of ways. Conspiracy theories are for the most part aberrations of mind tweaked by nonsense.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #95
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivas View Post
Do YOU seriously believe that I am afraid of the Internet. It is a very useful tool to correspond with others. And a way to organize regular folk for social justice in a myriad of ways. Conspiracy theories are for the most part aberrations of mind tweaked by nonsense.
So you're afraid of people reading your mail and tapping your phone...but you see no problem with the Internet.

Okay.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #96
Ivas
el Ruco

Quote:
So you're afraid of people reading your mail and tapping your phone...but you see no problem with the Internet.

Okay.
Brother, would you please chill out. I am NOT afraid of anything. It seems rather unfriendly to continue a line of abuse that has already been cleared up.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #97
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
SOUNDS LIKE BS TO ME WHAT DO YOU THINK?
OOO! I wanna play "raise the dead thread" too!

Yep, I agree with you. Complete and utter bulls**t.

And besides, why the hell would I care about the FBI?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #98
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
OOO! I wanna play "raise the dead thread" too!

Yep, I agree with you. Complete and utter bulls**t.

And besides, why the hell would I care about the FBI?

Hahahaha
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #99
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Quote:

-Mark.
Well not to fuel the conspiracy fire, but as I eluded to in post #16,,,

http://www.wpbf.com/r/15651948/detail.html

Police Charge Teen In $24K In Damage To Soccer Field
POSTED: 10:12 am EDT March 20, 2008
UPDATED: 10:41 am EDT March 20, 2008

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- Investigators said a Manalapan teenager was caught causing $24,800 worth of damage to a soccer field after the On-Star system in his car tipped off police that he was the culprit.

Authorities said the 17-year-old spun a 2007 GMC Denali to make "donuts" all over the soccer field at Saint Joseph's School located at 3300 S. Seacrest Blvd. in Boynton Beach on Nov.21, according to a police report.

Police used On-Star GPS records to link the teen to the scene at the time of the vandalism, according to the report.

A police subpoenae of OnStar documents revealed that the company received a "collision notification" and that an OnStar employee contacted the teen, whose voice was then recorded.

The 17-year-old is facing charges of reckless driving and criminal mischief.

So to re-iterate, the boys voice on the recording plus the GPS data was the evidence that placed him at the scene driving the car, and how they were able to bring charges against him.
MLL67RSSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #100
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Just to point this out, because I don't think it had been mentioned yet. Most cars/if not all cars now a days have a black box. Same concept as with an airplanes. It records everything about the car in the case of a collision. Seatbelts, if brake was applied, speed, etc. So really onstar doesn't need to spy on us, GM is doing it already.