Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Steve
Ancalagon The Black
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate - NY
Posts: 897
BUSTED!

Broke something tonight! I went out with the family tonight to have dinner and on the way back home had my middle son (29 years old) in the car for the first time. I live a 1/4 mile from the end of my road. I turned on to my road and stopped, placed it in first, put it in competitive mode, and hit the accelerator to the floor. It tac'ed out at 4200 just like it should. I dumped the clutch and there was a BIG bang, and no movement. My car is number 13,279, so I expected to look under the car and see oil dripping out of the tranny along with a busted output shaft. Remember when this was the big concern back during the initial shipments? No oil, and in fact no visible signs of any kind. We roped it and towed it to the garage where I will have the dealership pick it up early next week. My only mod was a CAI intake. No tune or exhaust mods done. This was only the second time I tried the Launch Control (once last year and first time this year). I am not sure the Camaro is up to that capability?

This stinks as I need it by August 20th for the factory luncheon event/weekend.


8/2/ - UPDATE (See posting 45 of this thread)
__________________

Last edited by Steve; 08-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
ackeight

 
ackeight's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rockwall, TX
Posts: 1,383
My guess would be the axle
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
John Shields
"Back in Black"
 
John Shields's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Broke something tonight! I went out with the family tonight to have dinner and on the way back home had my middle son (29 years old) in the car for the first time. I live a 1/4 mile from the end of my road. I turned on to my road and stopped, placed it in first, put it in competitive mode, and hit the accelerator to the floor. It tac'ed out at 4200 just like it should. I dumped the clutch and there was a BIG bang, and no movement. My car is number 13,279, so I expected to look under the car and see oil dripping out of the tranny along with a busted output shaft. Remember when this was the big concern back during the initial shipments? No oil, and in fact no visible signs of any kind. We roped it and towed it to the garage where I will have the dealership pick it up early next week. My only mod was a CAI intake. No tune or exhaust mods done. This was only the second time I tried the Launch Control (once last year and first time this year). I am not sure the Camaro is up to that capability?

This stinks as I need it by August 20th for the factory luncheon event/weekend.
Seeing as how plenty of people race these cars (drag strip) and have no issues launching them I can't say I agree you your assessment of it not holding up to the capability.

I think it was your car telling you not to run 'em so hard. Sucks though. I imagine there would be plenty of things that could cause that. Seems like it should be under warranty so they'll fix it... a CAI I've never read, is the cause of something like this.
__________________

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,451
ya.. i will no longer do any more launches anymore... i broke my rear axle... the camaro just cant handle it i guess...
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2015 C7 Z51- current
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Steve
Ancalagon The Black
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate - NY
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
My guess would be the axle
By "the axel", are you referring to the left or right axel in the rear end of the car? If one snapped, wouldn't the other still work?
__________________
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
RipperFox
Grrr!!!
 
RipperFox's Avatar
 
Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 380
Where at on the axle? Drive shaft is rotating?
__________________
Rules for ordering a car.
1. Dealers are liars
2. Buy off the lot
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Skoulikimou
 
Skoulikimou's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS LS3 2010
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 140
im sorry that you have to go through that
there must be some manufacture defect in your car your warranty should cover that
Skoulikimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
RipperFox
Grrr!!!
 
RipperFox's Avatar
 
Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
By "the axel", are you referring to the left or right axel in the rear end of the car? If one snapped, wouldn't the other still work?
Nah, diff would spin on broken side. good side would slip and stay still.

Snap one of the yokes?

As long as damage is outward from the diff, you should be good for the 20th.

You must have a black one. They are much more powerful than the others.
__________________
Rules for ordering a car.
1. Dealers are liars
2. Buy off the lot
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Skoulikimou
 
Skoulikimou's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS LS3 2010
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 140
has more of you guys experienced the same problem ?
Skoulikimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Steve
Ancalagon The Black
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate - NY
Posts: 897
OK

Do you think I need to worry about re-installing the original intake so they don't have an issue with the CAI? John above thinks it should not be an issue.
__________________
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
RipperFox
Grrr!!!
 
RipperFox's Avatar
 
Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 380
Nah, "Cold Air Intake"...They build these cars in Canada. It doesnt turn air into Nitrous.
__________________
Rules for ordering a car.
1. Dealers are liars
2. Buy off the lot
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
John Shields
"Back in Black"
 
John Shields's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperFox View Post
Nah, diff would spin on broken side. good side would slip and stay still.

Snap one of the yokes?

As long as damage is outward from the diff, you should be good for the 20th.

You must have a black one. They are much more powerful than the others.
HAHA, damn straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
OK

Do you think I need to worry about re-installing the original intake so they don't have an issue with the CAI? John above thinks it should not be an issue.
I don't think it's what caused your problem. But If I were you and had some warranty work ahead of me, I'd remove any bolt on upgrades so as to reduce the chances that they'll come back and tell me they wont fix it. If they really want to save money, they may just say, "that's what did it" even if it's far fetched. I personally wouldn't want the hassle even if I could explain it, 10 forum members here, and a panel of judges in a court. Return it to stock, hand it back and go, "I have no idea what happened".
__________________

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
RipperFox
Grrr!!!
 
RipperFox's Avatar
 
Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 380
I have always found the "squeaky wheel gets the oil". The mess with ya about the CAI, through a big ass fookin fit, and call every GM exec you can get ahould of, TV, paper, Obama...

Dealer: "your Cold Air Intake did it"
You: "So 80 F air produces that much power? This bad boy should pull a wheelie this winter."
__________________
Rules for ordering a car.
1. Dealers are liars
2. Buy off the lot
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
larryt1026
 
larryt1026's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 576
Wow, I'm sorry man. Has this happened to others as well? So is it no longer a smart idea to drive your car hard?
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Busted Exterior Mirror Casing GrinderSS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 07-23-2010 07:56 AM
Busted Door Window (due to sun / heat & high humidity) 67ponycar Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 28 07-13-2010 02:09 PM
Busted Speaker?? Days75 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 3 05-12-2010 10:11 PM
PICTURES: BUSTED STREET RACING IN THE BRONX! prostreetbuyer General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 16 04-20-2010 04:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.