Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
D@#n you Pedders - why?

OK so I know you guys make good products, you know a lot about the suspension of the Camaro and that you share your knowledge helping us improve our cars. I have gained a lot from the information you provided to us all and I am thankful for that.

However I am upset with you, you have a solution to my problems and I had no idea that you do based on the typical description you provide on your coilover products.

You see I have been working on my car to improve the looks and handling. I desired larger wheels/tires and I also wanted to use the same wheel/tire combination on front and back.

I did some research and a lot of calculations, figured I could lower my car an inch and get by using 20x10 wheels with +40mm offset and maybe the 305 size tire similar to what you guys did.

I soon discovered I could not get the size tire I wanted on the front and I also found that I could not set the camber on the front to an optimum setting for aggressive driving.

I had to settle for 275 tires front side and limit camber to -.5 degrees so that the tire doesn't rub (provides ~ 1/4 inch margin). I have found a product by Pfadt - their camber kit which is an adjustable plate which allows the top of the shock to move inward up to an inch - this has helped getting me another degree (seems you now have something like this too).

What I did not know is that your coilover products provide an extra 10mm clearance over the stock struts - Pete let this slip out in a posting --> " Pedders Xa and Supercar coilovers have an extra 10mm built into the clevis ."

Why don't you make this "feature" more well known? If I knew of this from the start I would have bought you coilover product and not gone through all of this trouble. In fact when I need to replace my tires I plan to upgrade to your coilovers and expect to be able to increase my tire size to at least 295 and still be able to get the performance camber setting.

Please change your product description to make it obvious that your coilover products provide more wheel/tire clearance than the stock struts, that potentially would be valuable information for many when modifying their cars...
Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
Coilovers are physically smaller in diameter then the factory spring, notwithstanding the extra clearance built in. Why is this news to anyone?
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
heheheh, good bit fun this morning. I enjoyed reading that, but I wouldn't have known that either.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
Coilovers are physically smaller in diameter then the factory spring, notwithstanding the extra clearance built in. Why is this news to anyone?

Ovenmitt, the clearance problem area is well below the location of the "factory" springs on the struts. There you will find little difference in the diameter of the strut and that of the coilovers. The difference provided by pedders is the additional 10mm change from stock position on the clevis which would help me a lot (and possibly could cause problems for others).

This fact is news to me, and I guess I feel it should not be...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by edneyens View Post
Ovenmitt, the clearance problem area is well below the location of the "factory" springs on the struts. There you will find little difference in the diameter of the strut and that of the coilovers. The difference provided by pedders is the additional 10mm change from stock position on the clevis which would help me a lot (and possibly could cause problems for others).

This fact is news to me, and I guess I feel it should not be...
Different applications rub for diff. reasons. I better understand your issue now, so that makes sense.
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I believe you're right - this isn't information that's posted very much. I know I've seen the extra camber adjustment, but not so much about clearance. I could've missed it though.

Sorry about your situation :(
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Blame me. No matter what happens at Pedders I am the guy responsible. We should make it more clear that our Xa and Supercar coilover clevis is designed to increase the front track and increase the owner's camber adjustment range. The increase in front track also reduces the understeer inherent in the 5th Gen Camaro. I'll see to it that we add this to our website and catalog.

Thank you for taking the time to post. Please email me you full name, address, phone and shirt size. PGB@PeddersUSA.com