Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
2011_2LT

Drives: Silver Ice 2011 2LT RS
2011 Paint issues as well?

I first want to thank everyone at this site for all of the helpful info surrounding my dream car. I have been reading the multiple posts surrounding paint chip issues. I just ordered a silver ice 2011 2LT RS and was wondering if anyone with 2011's are experiencing the same paint issues? This honestly scares the hell out of me and I might cancel my order if the paint isn't going to hold up.
2011_2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Don't cancel your order. When the paint flakes off, get it painted with REAL paint, and not from that pallette of cheezy water colors it comes with from the factory, and you'll be much happier. I'm kidding. It's not THAT bad. But I get to say it's cheezy paint because of personal experience. The paint on our rear bumper started wrinkling/cracking/peeling while it was simply sitting in the garage. This isn't a factory thing since the bumper covers are painted by the vendor. So technically it's the contractor's fault, but GM is still responsible for it.

You have to think too, that NORMALLY, when you have issues, you run to the forum to complain about how crappy this or that is, when in the overall scheme of things, your problems may not be as widespread as it may appear. You'll see more posts about "my paint is chipping" than "my paint is NOT chipping." So it only seems like it's a huge problem. Remember, you might see 20 complaints about paint, out of over 100K cars. Is it REALLY a major issue or just skewed cuz you read it on this forum? See my point?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
2011_2LT

Drives: Silver Ice 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Don't cancel your order. When the paint flakes off, get it painted with REAL paint, and not from that pallette of cheezy water colors it comes with from the factory, and you'll be much happier. I'm kidding. It's not THAT bad. But I get to say it's cheezy paint because of personal experience. The paint on our rear bumper started wrinkling/cracking/peeling while it was simply sitting in the garage. This isn't a factory thing since the bumper covers are painted by the vendor. So technically it's the contractor's fault, but GM is still responsible for it.

You have to think too, that NORMALLY, when you have issues, you run to the forum to complain about how crappy this or that is, when in the overall scheme of things, your problems may not be as widespread as it may appear. You'll see more posts about "my paint is chipping" than "my paint is NOT chipping." So it only seems like it's a huge problem. Remember, you might see 20 complaints about paint, out of over 100K cars. Is it REALLY a major issue or just skewed cuz you read it on this forum? See my point?
i do see your point, i am just being cautious as my coworker is experiencing the same thing. plus, i will baby the hell out of this car. i guess i can relate to your statement from previously working in retail, more people are apt to report a negative experience vs. a good one.
2011_2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I have owend my 2SS for exactly a year now, and I can honestly say I love the car. But....I wash it every Friday, and it has way more paint chips than a babied one year old car should have.

Just go in with your eyes wide open.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
Of course the '11s will have the same issues as the '10s. It is not as bad as some make it out to be, though, and it's certainly not a reason to not buy the car if you really want one.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011_2LT View Post
i do see your point, i am just being cautious as my coworker is experiencing the same thing. plus, i will baby the hell out of this car. i guess i can relate to your statement from previously working in retail, more people are apt to report a negative experience vs. a good one.
I had the same cautiousness as you and it cost me $600 for VentureShield clear bra. Just throw that into the price of ownership if you are all that concerned. I'm not 100% sure I even needed it here in south florida. But you being in Michigan with those shitty roads, I would consider it for sure.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote