Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
mbspeed
 
mbspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS2/LS3(SOLD)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 87
lsr shifter

any you guys run the LSR shifter i know mgw is the best of the best just looking for A little better then stock I dont want dealer to know the car has a new shifter installed thank you any info would help cant beat the price $135
mbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
11flat
 
11flat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: moreno valley, ca
Posts: 117
Why dont you want the dealer to know its installed? They CANNOT simply void your warranty because they see you have a shifter installed.

I would rate them Barton, MGW, MTI, Hurst, and then the rest..
If you look at your factory shifter you will see its NOT in a straight line. GM, Hurst, Barton, MGW, MTI.. ALL have the correct offset built into their shifters.
I dont see why all the BIG manufactures, GM especially, would go through the trouble of making a shifter with a offset in it, if it wasnt needed.
If you look at the lsr shifter its in a straight line with out the offset. You might save a few bucks at first, but I think that alone may put un-needed stress on the linkage.

All the shifters out there allow for the factory knob if your worried about it.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
mbspeed
 
mbspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS2/LS3(SOLD)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
Why dont you want the dealer to know its installed? They CANNOT simply void your warranty because they see you have a shifter installed.

I would rate them Barton, MGW, MTI, Hurst, and then the rest..
If you look at your factory shifter you will see its NOT in a straight line. GM, Hurst, Barton, MGW, MTI.. ALL have the correct offset built into their shifters.
I dont see why all the BIG manufactures, GM especially, would go through the trouble of making a shifter with a offset in it, if it wasnt needed.
If you look at the lsr shifter its in a straight line with out the offset. You might save a few bucks at first, but I think that alone may put un-needed stress on the linkage.

All the shifters out there allow for the factory knob if your worried about it.
You have a point but if i was burn out a clutch i would have a problem with the dealer i think the mgw is very nice and would love it but dont want to do all the work to install
mbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
rmnc3r
 
Drives: me up the wall.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 471
I'm happy with mine.
I've had it for about 6 months now.
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
11flat
 
11flat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: moreno valley, ca
Posts: 117
Well if you burn up a clutch, they have to pull the trans which they will then see any shifter you put in.. But a clutch is not something that is warranteed after 10 or 12000 miles anyway.
They would have to PROVE the shifter is what caused the damage and any mechanic knows a shifter is not related to a clutch or anything else inside the trans. A short throw shifter is acctually easier on a trans then the factory shifter because you loose leverage which prevents you from hitting the syncros so hard.
The MGW is defently the hardest to install but the Barton, Hurst, and MTI will all install in less than an hour and just like the LSR.
I would highly recommend the Barton I have it in my car and have installed about 10 of them, its a awesome shifter. They also allow you to return it if you dont like it. Dave at Barton is a great guy and he will do anything for his customers.
They offer a lot of options so your not stuck with one single look.
You will be happy with what ever you go with, but I would be weary of something that doesnt have a offset like the rest.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
2quick

 
Drives: none
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: in the front
Posts: 1,151
We have sold many of our shifters. Never had a complaint about not having the same offset as the factory. We did testing with a shifter of our design with the factory offset using GM's very own cad data that they used to manufacture the shifter itself. Using CAD systems that utilize software that measures stress points and failure rates and probabilities we tested our straight design shifter and found that it has better rates of longevity and less critical stress points than the factory shifter. We can input different materials instantly to see what would change in these stress points and other criteria that we use to determine quality. Not many of our actual competitors have this very high dollar equipment and software. We have sold our fair share here on the forum and pretty soon two major world wide known distributors are taking on our product line. Including the shifter. I cant say who but basically the top two. LSR is part of a group that GM actually shares It CAD data with to improve it's product in the performance aftermarket. So i guess I'm just saying I'm very confident that our product will meet or exceed what your looking for. In the end we too back our products up with a lifetime warranty. We too have a policy of, if you don't like it we will take it back. Thanks and i do appreciate you giving us consideration for your purchase. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me through my email, pm, or call me. Ill be glad to help you out.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
11flat
 
11flat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: moreno valley, ca
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
We have sold many of our shifters. Never had a complaint about not having the same offset as the factory. We did testing with a shifter of our design with the factory offset using GM's very own cad data that they used to manufacture the shifter itself. Using CAD systems that utilize software that measures stress points and failure rates and probabilities we tested our straight design shifter and found that it has better rates of longevity and less critical stress points than the factory shifter. We can input different materials instantly to see what would change in these stress points and other criteria that we use to determine quality. Not many of our actual competitors have this very high dollar equipment and software. We have sold our fair share here on the forum and pretty soon two major world wide known distributors are taking on our product line. Including the shifter. I cant say who but basically the top two. LSR is part of a group that GM actually shares It CAD data with to improve it's product in the performance aftermarket. So i guess I'm just saying I'm very confident that our product will meet or exceed what your looking for. In the end we too back our products up with a lifetime warranty. We too have a policy of, if you don't like it we will take it back. Thanks and i do appreciate you giving us consideration for your purchase. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me through my email, pm, or call me. Ill be glad to help you out.

Sounds like you have a nice cad system. Im sure all the others do as well, i know MGW makes parts for the millitary, and Barton does aerospace work, so im sure they have a pretty nice setup to.

My only question would be if you found the offset wasnt needed, why would GM with the same computer and cad drawings deem that it was. And from a cost perspective if GM didnt need the offset why would they spend money on that EXTRA step. If they could save only 25 cents per shifter by not having it offset that would have saved them $25,000 the first year alone, and chances are by eliminating the need for the bend in the shifter it would have saved probably more then 25cents. So I dont see why if its NOT needed why they would do it. From my experience installing shifters, that bend is there for proper engagement and has nothing to do with strength. The linkage has to move a certain distance to be in postion for the gear, if you are close, it will go in gear, but the linkage would still be in a slight bind.
Im not trying to start a forum war, but I just see a design flaw.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
mbspeed
 
mbspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS2/LS3(SOLD)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
Sounds like you have a nice cad system. Im sure all the others do as well, i know MGW makes parts for the millitary, and Barton does aerospace work, so im sure they have a pretty nice setup to.

My only question would be if you found the offset wasnt needed, why would GM with the same computer and cad drawings deem that it was. And from a cost perspective if GM didnt need the offset why would they spend money on that EXTRA step. If they could save only 25 cents per shifter by not having it offset that would have saved them $25,000 the first year alone, and chances are by eliminating the need for the bend in the shifter it would have saved probably more then 25cents. So I dont see why if its NOT needed why they would do it. From my experience installing shifters, that bend is there for proper engagement and has nothing to do with strength. The linkage has to move a certain distance to be in postion for the gear, if you are close, it will go in gear, but the linkage would still be in a slight bind.
Im not trying to start a forum war, but I just see a design flaw.


I am not sure what you are talking about when you say.. off set do you mean were the bottom of shifter go into linkage
mbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
mbspeed
 
mbspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro SS2/LS3(SOLD)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 87
never mind 11flat i under stand what you are saying i re read the post i did not know that thank you for the info
mbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
1bacamaro
 
1bacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: naples florida
Posts: 432
i love how everyone is a engineer on here and knows more then company that builds the products. i know eric at torq uses this shifter and he road races his car and never has had a single problem. if it can stand up to race conditions its good enough for me. buy what you think is right for you and in your price range.
1bacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
2quick

 
Drives: none
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: in the front
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11flat View Post
Sounds like you have a nice cad system. Im sure all the others do as well, i know MGW makes parts for the millitary, and Barton does aerospace work, so im sure they have a pretty nice setup to.

My only question would be if you found the offset wasnt needed, why would GM with the same computer and cad drawings deem that it was. And from a cost perspective if GM didnt need the offset why would they spend money on that EXTRA step. If they could save only 25 cents per shifter by not having it offset that would have saved them $25,000 the first year alone, and chances are by eliminating the need for the bend in the shifter it would have saved probably more then 25cents. So I dont see why if its NOT needed why they would do it. From my experience installing shifters, that bend is there for proper engagement and has nothing to do with strength. The linkage has to move a certain distance to be in postion for the gear, if you are close, it will go in gear, but the linkage would still be in a slight bind.
Im not trying to start a forum war, but I just see a design flaw.
The types of materials and restriction on cost are a big part of why an OEM does what they do on there designs. if you look at any of the aftermarket shifters none are using the same materials that come from the OEM shifter. Aftermarket companies like LSR use better metals better processes to manufacture our products. If you look at the OEM it is not a fully cnc piece. This saves money on their end on production of it. The bend could be there for a multitude of reasons. Some may be because they use less quality materials or an easier method of producing their shifter. We solved the issue with better materials that also required better methods of production. = CNC equipment. We are one of the few companies that are actually iso 9001-2008 certified. We have a full quality inspection team. They utilize laser cmm and gages to quality inspect all of our products. We also do testing of our products on track, not only in our car but in tester cars that customers volunteer for us. This is aside from infield testing.

As to your thesis of the bend is there to help the linkage. We also have the CAD data of the whole transmission with the linkage. with our motion software and information from GM and the transmission manufacture about the tolerances that all components have we determined that our straight shifter easily falls into the same range as the bent design that is stock.

On the capabilities of other manufactures. I've not seen their setup, production facility, or quality system so i cant comment on them. We do have our quality policy open to the public to view when requested.

As to other companies working for other industries. Thats great. We also do other industries. We have been in aerospace, medical, DOD, local and state government jobs. Theses are just the ones that relate to manufacturing of items. We have also provided materials to state agencies for there manufacturing of products. Maybe i should advertise that but i didn't feel it was pertinent to selling camaro parts. Part of our business has actually made high performance police vehicles for local police departments.

no forum war started. Atleast i think. lol
i really do appreciate forums because they will always have non current customers that bring up issues for companies to address. In this case it has enabled me too address that i should advertise our capabilities and industries that we serve in order to help our customers feel better of their purchase. Thanks again i hope this wasn't to long.

Last edited by 2quick; 08-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
11flat
 
11flat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: moreno valley, ca
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
The types of materials and restriction on cost are a big part of why an OEM does what they do on there designs. if you look at any of the aftermarket shifters none are using the same materials that come from the OEM shifter. Aftermarket companies like LSR use better metals better processes to manufacture our products. If you look at the OEM it is not a fully cnc piece. This saves money on their end on production of it. The bend could be there for a multitude of reasons. Some may be because they use less quality materials or an easier method of producing their shifter. We solved the issue with better materials that also required better methods of production. = CNC equipment. We are one of the few companies that are actually iso 9001-2008 certified. We have a full quality inspection team. They utilize laser cmm and gages to quality inspect all of our products. We also do testing of our products on track, not only in our car but in tester cars that customers volunteer for us. This is aside from infield testing.

As to your thesis of the bend is there to help the linkage. We also have the CAD data of the whole transmission with the linkage. with our motion software and information from GM and the transmission manufacture about the tolerances that all components have we determined that our straight shifter easily falls into the same range as the bent design that is stock.

On the capabilities of other manufactures. I've not seen their setup, production facility, or quality system so i cant comment on them. We do have our quality policy open to the public to view when requested.

As to other companies working for other industries. Thats great. We also do other industries. We have been in aerospace, medical, DOD, local and state government jobs. Theses are just the ones that relate to manufacturing of items. We have also provided materials to state agencies for there manufacturing of products. Maybe i should advertise that but i didn't feel it was pertinent to selling camaro parts.

no forum war started. Atleast i think. lol
i really do appreciate forums because they will always have non current customers that bring up issues for companies to address. In this case it has enabled me too address that i should advertise our capabilities and industries that we serve in order to help our customers feel better of their purchase. Thanks again i hope this wasn't to long.
Free advertisement, gotta love it. Dont get me wrong, I wasnt questioning your quality, I see you make a lot of other products that look very good, I might even pick up a set of sway bars. I just cant get past the fact every other company put the bend or offset in their shifters and you guys did not.
If its not needed then great. Maybe I will pick one up so I can personally see how it effects the linkage and then report back.
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
2quick

 
Drives: none
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: in the front
Posts: 1,151
Great. In the end we are just car guys.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAG's 2010 THRSS #2 TAG UR IT Member Car Journals 3129 08-14-2014 10:29 AM
DIY Hurst Short Throw Shifter Install - Pix and Video TAG UR IT Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 120 05-20-2014 04:37 PM
LSR Performance Shifter Install ZooDad V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 42 08-02-2011 09:02 AM
Pic's of Aftermarket Shift Knob on Stock shifter stalk jammer174 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 3 12-04-2010 09:49 PM
MTI Racing 5th Gen Camaro Shifter SALE MTI Racing Kevin Transmission / Driveline 0 05-24-2010 09:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.