Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #76
Sean_W
 
Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Onstar currently can NOT stop nor start an engine.

They CAN currently disengage the starter so it won't start and they CAN reduce the flow of gas though the fuel pump to limit the speed of the car.

This NOT just a software issue, it is a hardware issue as well as the current hardware is NOT connected nor set up to do this. You can issue software updates all you like but until the hardware is physically connected to the devices the commends go to, the commends will do NOTHING.
Ok, this I can accept. So give us pre-2011 folks an app that can do the other things...

GPS tracking to within 50 yards
sound the alarm/honk the horn
tell you if your tire pressure is low
Lock/Unlock your vehicle remotely

I would be happy with these app features. Anyone else? Can someone copy and paste this to the onstar facebook page. I'm sure most people would be happy with these features on a phone app.
__________________
Sean W

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #77
nashstat
 
Drives: 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Ok, this I can accept. So give us pre-2011 folks an app that can do the other things...

GPS tracking to within 50 yards
sound the alarm/honk the horn
tell you if your tire pressure is low
Lock/Unlock your vehicle remotely

I would be happy with these app features. Anyone else? Can someone copy and paste this to the onstar facebook page. I'm sure most people would be happy with these features on a phone app.
Yup would be more than happy with this set of features!
nashstat is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #78
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydrvr View Post
^ What's what I was basically saying. What's the difference between hardware and software anyway? Don't want to get off topic though.
Hardware is a physical component or connection that you can actually touch.

Software is a computer program that tells the hardware what to do.
Mr_Draco is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #79
chevydrvr
 
Drives: fast.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 189
Oh it makes sense, HARDware is well, hard and a physical thing. Software is well, not hard. That's just how i'll remember it.
__________________
chevydrvr is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #80
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Because thats a $700 alarm system that many people don't want to buy when this package is ALREADY BUILT IN WITH NAVIGATION AND EVERYTHING. Why would you want to pay to install something that is built in for free? I like OnStar, I like the features, I pay for it yearly, I do not want to install another system in my car, nor do I want to pay for an extra box and service when I am already paying for OnStar. And before you say "well then cancel OnStar and get the new service" I don't want to have a stupid GPS hanging off my dash, I like the integration of the OnStar directions into my car.

PS I still think its possible that there is a perfectly good reason why this doesn't work, but unfortunately we don't know the true technical reason yet (or ever??).
Technically we do pay for it in the total price of the Camaro I do agree with everything you have said however there really is no perfectly good reason why GM cannot hire somebody to write a program added to the flash memory of the Onstar device in order to support this feature.Keeping all this silent makes it worse.
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #81
Toasty
Custom User Title :D
 
Toasty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Technically we do pay for it in the total price of the Camaro I do agree with everything you have said however there really is no perfectly good reason why GM cannot hire somebody to write a program added to the flash memory of the Onstar device in order to support this feature.Keeping all this silent makes it worse.


writing the software DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD if the items arent actually connected to the system in such a way that they can be controlled (starter, for example... if it's not interfaced to OnStar, it does no good to give OnStar programming for the starter.)
Toasty is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #82
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I just wish we could get a technical answer other than "...... generation 9 hardware...." as to why it doesn't work. Then at least someone like you who has experience in the field can say "ohh yeah I guess so" or "hire me because I could fix that shit".
There are about a dozen users in these threads with direct experience working on projects similar to OnStar. Input from across the world says that the "Gen 9 hardware" meme is purely a marketing "excuse". No one can fathom a technical reason why the majority of features of this App cannot run on a 2010 Camaro.

Several people who (unlike those of us who have direct hardware and software design experience with the Verizon Cellular Module) defend the position of GM have so far parroted the "They say it needs Gen 9 hardware, so we KNOW that they are telling the truth" commentary.

I say the burden of proof lies with OnStar to get one of their masterminds here to explain to us why the Gen 8 hardware is incapable of this functionality.

I guarantee you they will never give an explanation because there is none.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #83
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatin0n18s View Post
HAHAHA seriously? Soe of you guys are that upset about an pllication for your hone?So what ifou can' get it you still have a CARO, get te sand out from down here andstop being wuses. I they wanna be lazy and not bring it to 2010 users, so be it. Im sill nt wly oviced they could give t to yall if they wanted.


I on't ve smart pne bwait....shouldn't they make it work on my phone too!? that' nly fa!mad0259: Just bause i bought it lastar and its not compatile withhs new app,LG poe services bette ve e a pone that works with he or ya knowwhat im noii the y mney nymore! Its just not fair you guys!:bellyrollSeriously to get oer i it's not he nd of the world.
What was that? Your message was garbled. I think your dial-up connection is bad. Try switching to 1200 baud or try calling in on your Tracfone.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #84
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
So why not just set up a shortcut (or whatever on the iPhone) that calls OnStar and then ask them to do the stuff for you? It isn't as simple as pressing a button since you'll have to talk to somebody, but it still has the same end state. Hell, if you call enough times maybe they will make it available for the 2010 models.
I proposed in anouther thread that we all just start flooding their call center with requests to beep the horn and lock and unlock.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #85
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I just hung up the phone with ONSTAR: REMOTE START CANNOT BE DONE VIA TELEPHONE.
Get someone with a 2011 and ask them the same question. I bet you get a wrong answer then as well.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #86
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
There are about a dozen users in these threads with direct experience working on projects similar to OnStar. Input from across the world says that the "Gen 9 hardware" meme is purely a marketing "excuse". No one can fathom a technical reason why the majority of features of this App cannot run on a 2010 Camaro.

Several people who (unlike those of us who have direct hardware and software design experience with the Verizon Cellular Module) defend the position of GM have so far parroted the "They say it needs Gen 9 hardware, so we KNOW that they are telling the truth" commentary.

I say the burden of proof lies with OnStar to get one of their masterminds here to explain to us why the Gen 8 hardware is incapable of this functionality.

I guarantee you they will never give an explanation because there is none.
I am one of those people that believes there is a perfectly good reason. Having worked directly with upper management for a couple major national and worldwide corporations I just don't believe they said "**** everyone who has a 2010 we are making this 2011 only."

I just don't, THERE IS a logical reason....
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #87
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
well, then i guess you don't want the feature that badly then. All I can say then is, get a 2011.
Thanks that was a useless response.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #88
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Ok, this I can accept. So give us pre-2011 folks an app that can do the other things...

GPS tracking to within 50 yards
sound the alarm/honk the horn
tell you if your tire pressure is low
Lock/Unlock your vehicle remotely

I would be happy with these app features. Anyone else? Can someone copy and paste this to the onstar facebook page. I'm sure most people would be happy with these features on a phone app.
I have an LS3 so my interface would look exactly like the interface for a 2011 LS3 Camaro... (No Remote Start).

I've been saying for quite some time that we know for a fact that our hardware RIGHT NOW supports a subset of the offered services and they should at LEAST give us the services we already have.

Of course one thing we're overlooking is maybe OnStar has some kind of "contract" like UAW or SEIU with the phone operators at OnStar Call Centers and if they were to add smart-phone capability to all their existing vehicles the call volume would drop and operators would be laid off and sit around collecting nearly full pay and benefits for doing nothing.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #89
Blade


 
Blade's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,632
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Onstar currently can NOT stop nor start an engine.

They CAN currently disengage the starter so it won't start and they CAN reduce the flow of gas though the fuel pump to limit the speed of the car.

This NOT just a software issue, it is a hardware issue as well as the current hardware is NOT connected nor set up to do this. You can issue software updates all you like but until the hardware is physically connected to the devices the commends go to, the commends will do NOTHING.
This counter actually makes sense to me

But I still have this question in the back of my mine, can't they still use the code that is executed when we use our key fob?

But thanks for a valid counter-point and good info.
__________________
Blade is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #90
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I am one of those people that believes there is a perfectly good reason. Having worked directly with upper management for a couple major national and worldwide corporations I just don't believe they said "**** everyone who has a 2010 we are making this 2011 only."

I just don't, THERE IS a logical reason....
I don't want to believe this either, however if no official (technologically sound) reason is given, then that is pretty much their position even if they didn't officially say it on the record.
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #91
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I don't want to believe this either, however if no official (technologically sound) reason is given, then that is pretty much their position even if they didn't officially say it on the record.
The fact of the matter is that their official spokespeople have given a response to inquiries that (from a technical standpoint) is completely illogical and even comes across as patronizing because it is completely devoid of any technical facts or evidence to back it up. People with technical experience doubt that the explanation given is true, and there was a management decision made to intentionally leave early adopters behind.

Either they purposely wanted to make people rush out and buy a newer model to get these features, or they don't have the money to pay for the software engineering that is needed to support us.

I think it's obvious where the development money now went: http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-chrys...-bailouts.html. This is just the kind of "in your face" actions that have everyone doubting their word.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #92
scritchy
 
Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Either they purposely wanted to make people rush out and buy a newer model to get these features, or they don't have the money to pay for the software engineering that is needed to support us.
Until you know what the difference between the Gen 8 and Gen 9 hardware is, you don't know why it can't be supported.

Protip dude, not everybody is out to screw you over and there are legitimate reasons different hardware has different capabilities.
scritchy is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #93
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
Until you know what the difference between the Gen 8 and Gen 9 hardware is, you don't know why it can't be supported.

Protip dude, not everybody is out to screw you over and there are legitimate reasons different hardware has different capabilities.
Reality Check, dude:

Not everybody is out to screw us over, but statistically speaking a large number of people ARE.

Since you are an expert and obviously know more about this than the rest of us I would like you to enumerate the differences in the hardware for me in simple terms so that a dummy like me can understand them.
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #94
scritchy
 
Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Since you are an expert and obviously know more about this than the rest of us I would like you to enumerate the differences in the hardware for me in simple terms so that a dummy like me can understand them.
I don't know the differences, or I would tell you, but it could be something as simple as increasing the number of channels available or not as simple as the way it is interfaced into the bus.

I seriously feel sorry for you if you think a large number of people are out to screw you over.
scritchy is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #95
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!
 
Silver2SSRS6spd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,672
I will not renew my onstar unless they want to upgrade my car to work with this!
__________________
MagnaCharger TVS-2300 513rwhp 490 rwt and a radical suspension under the car.
Silver2SSRS6spd is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #96
squatin0n18s
 
squatin0n18s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS A6 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: savannah
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
What was that? Your message was garbled. I think your dial-up connection is bad. Try switching to 1200 baud or try calling in on your Tracfone.

mannn that was lame. lol
squatin0n18s is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #97
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
I don't know the differences, or I would tell you, but it could be something as simple as increasing the number of channels available or not as simple as the way it is interfaced into the bus.

It doesn't sound like you work with these types of systems for a living, so I can overlook your naive belief in the excuses being put forth regarding hardware. This sytem runs software using the hardware, and anyone who creates software knows that there are an infinite number of ways that software can be created to make up for deficient hardware.

Do you REALLY think that the TI-84 calculator was designed to be able to play "DOOM"? Clever people modified the software to work on a lowly graphing calculator. Clearly, this is something the hardware was never designed to do. Yet it does it reasonably well.

I mention this because it flies in the face of the "needs hardware to work" argument. I still believe that it works with our cars but they have decided not to support them for some reason.

Quote:
I seriously feel sorry for you if you think a large number of people are out to screw you over.
Why do you feel sorry for me because I'm paying attention? I feel sorry for people who haven't figured out how badly they are being screwed each and every day (and their kids and grandkids are getting screwed before they are even born!)
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #98
Toasty
Custom User Title :D
 
Toasty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
There are about a dozen users in these threads with direct experience working on projects similar to OnStar. Input from across the world says that the "Gen 9 hardware" meme is purely a marketing "excuse". No one can fathom a technical reason why the majority of features of this App cannot run on a 2010 Camaro.

Several people who (unlike those of us who have direct hardware and software design experience with the Verizon Cellular Module) defend the position of GM have so far parroted the "They say it needs Gen 9 hardware, so we KNOW that they are telling the truth" commentary.

I say the burden of proof lies with OnStar to get one of their masterminds here to explain to us why the Gen 8 hardware is incapable of this functionality.

I guarantee you they will never give an explanation because there is none.
OnStar doesnt owe you proof of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
It doesn't sound like you work with these types of systems for a living, so I can overlook your naive belief in the excuses being put forth regarding hardware. This sytem runs software using the hardware, and anyone who creates software knows that there are an infinite number of ways that software can be created to make up for deficient hardware.

Do you REALLY think that the TI-84 calculator was designed to be able to play "DOOM"? Clever people modified the software to work on a lowly graphing calculator. Clearly, this is something the hardware was never designed to do. Yet it does it reasonably well.

I mention this because it flies in the face of the "needs hardware to work" argument. I still believe that it works with our cars but they have decided not to support them for some reason.



Why do you feel sorry for me because I'm paying attention? I feel sorry for people who haven't figured out how badly they are being screwed each and every day (and their kids and grandkids are getting screwed before they are even born!)


By your example, I should be able to dig up a TI-84 and use it to create adn render a Pixar like movie scene, simply by writing a program....

but wait! there are.... GASP!!! HARDWARE LIMITATIONS! can't be done!
Toasty is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #99
svtjackal
in love with Olivia now.
 
svtjackal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,012
I think we are getting upset too soon,
I am pretty sure that this system will be able to be adapted to the 2010 models if not directly by GM/onstar some clever guy will figure out what needs to be done and do it,
but I have a feeling that this is the same song that was being sung about installing the 4 gauge pack on LS, 1LT AND 1SS that it was going to need some special programing by the dealer to make them work and what happen? some guy plug them in and they worked no programing needed.
__________________

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is online now  
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #100
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
..........

Do you REALLY think that the TI-84 calculator was designed to be able to play "DOOM"? Clever people modified the software to work on a lowly graphing calculator. Clearly, this is something the hardware was never designed to do. Yet it does it reasonably well.

...........

I just have to jump on this comment. First off the DOOM software was NOT modified to play on a TI-84, someone went and wrote a whole new program mimicking DOOM on the TI-84 OS. Not only that it runs like complete shit. Its barely playable. I spent all my college years playing games like that on my TI-84 and TI-92. They did work and they were better than nothing, but they were poor shells of their namesake games. So if you are using this to defend your position you have no defense.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onstar....a spy???? please comment dieseldave24v General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 138 02-23-2012 01:12 PM
STORY... Cool iPhone 3GS and AUX feature (might work on other phones) rallyyellow Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 15 12-30-2009 01:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.