Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Ford Announces New Shelby GT

The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ford will increase the pace of new product introductions, according to a news release.

We have nine new Ford and Lincoln Mercury products going on sale in the next six months alone, and we are rebuilding our business for the future with an emphasis on new products," said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas, who spoke at the Center for Automotive Research's annual seminar in Traverse City, Mich.

Among the new products are the Ford Shelby GT — on sale in January.

The 4.6-liter, 325-horsepower Ford Shelby GT will occupy a niche between the Mustang GT and the Ford Shelby GT500 both in performance and appearance, Ford said. It is a retail version of the Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang developed for Hertz.

Another victim, BRING IT...

Name:  07.ford.shelby.gt.500.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  32.7 KB

Found some more info.

Ford said details will be announced Sunday on its Bold Moves Web site.

In essence, the Shelby GT will be a less powerful, less expensive companion to the powerhouse Shelby GT500. Where the "boss" Shelby is fitted with a supercharged 500-horse 5.4-liter V8, the newest member of the Shelby corral gets a 325-hp 4.6-liter V8, slotting it just above the 300-hp Mustang GT.

The Mustang GT is priced from around $26,000 while the Shelby GT500 starts at around $41,000

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 08-11-2006 at 06:19 PM.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just one more car we get to see in the REAR-VIEW
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
LETS not forgot that the only reason GM is even making a new Camaro is because Ford redesigned the mustang

(and because Dodge announced they will be building a new Challenger.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 08-11-2006 at 04:15 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop
LETS not forgot that the only reason GM is even making a new Camaro is because Ford redesigned the mustang

(and because Dodge announced the will be building a new Challenger.
Sounds like someone drives a Mustang...

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 08-11-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28
Sounds like someone drives a Mustang...

say it aint so :(

i think it will be a good car in terms of straight line speed but nothign good for turns :0
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

You would think that they would give it more horse (350 to 400).

Oh that’s right I forgot, Ford can't build high horse power with out a supercharger...
Old 08-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
funny part is its 325 i bet to the wheel is only 275-285 which in the grand scheme of things isnt all that great.
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Right, and its a 3800 to 4000 lbs car.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28
You would think that they would give it more horse (350 to 400).

Oh that’s right I forgot, Ford can't build high horse power with out a supercharger...
HAHA! Oh, so true!
................................ V8 American Car??? ...................

OK, ragtop...whatcha drivin?:eek:
Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60814003/1039

Here is some more info on the Shelby GT from Autoweek. Nice photo gallery and video.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
Hyperknight
Band.

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Jebus, another mustang?! How many versions are the going to release? V6, Pony Package, Stampede V6, GT, California Special GT, Shelby GT, GT500, Saleen, Roush, Foose, Steeda, Shelby GT-H, Parnelli Jones, etc
Hyperknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

and supposedly they want to revive the Mach 1 and the BOSS? Ok, that is quite a few too many Mustangs.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
just another one to bite the dust. and no they did not bring the camaro back because of those reasons. If you knew anything about the agreement gm had with the uaw at the plant the camaro was made at then you'd realize that's why it's being brought back now. they tore that plant down and most of the uaw workers that the agreement was with are either retired or transferred. when I heard they tore that thing down last year I knew there would be a concept this year. and hopefully they'd announce that it'd be coming back. . .which they did. I've been callin that for years and guess what. . .it happened. ok now that i'm done sounding like a prick. i'll go.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
BlacLac02
Banned

Drives: 2002 Cadillac Escalade & STS
Send a message via AIM to BlacLac02
those company's are only doing things to that car because its the only recent muscle car out now. once the camaro comes out EVERYONE will want to do something with it. its gonna be the biggest car to customize at sema in 09 once these designers get ahold of one
BlacLac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #15
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Why would Mustang people be on this forum in the first place?

Shouldn't they be off at INeedARealCar.com or something??

Seems like they wouldn't be here unless they were curious about the hottest up and coming muscle car... And they oughta know if they rear their ugly head there won't be many of us GM people welcoming the snide remarks.

Just my opinion...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
the camaro doesnt need 35 different versions.

cus it only takes one to beat every version of a rustang
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #17
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I'm not a Mustang fan at all (never have been...the only one I even liked a little was the '65, and I'm way to young to remember those glory days), but you have to give them one thing....at least they are competition...I mean, you can only blow the doors off so many ricers before you get bored with that...

So, American made/American company profits/American workers' jobs and good competition...okay, that's all I've got in favor of 'Stangs.

As for any 'Stang people coming onto the site here...well, jealousy comes to mind as a reason, but maybe, just maybe, in their underpowered, overpriced auto lives, they have found the Auto god and now they see the light.

I say to those drivers..."come children, come to the light, be saved....then, go to the Chevy dealer, kneel down in reverence, beg for forgiveness of your auto-sins, trade in that POS you're driving, get a real car and be redeemed."

Follow that with hold onto your hats, this is going to be one helluva ride!
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
As for any 'Stang people coming onto the site here...well, jealousy comes to mind as a reason, but maybe, just maybe, in their underpowered, overpriced auto lives, they have found the Auto god and now they see the light.

It is really difficult for me to understand the complete despise I see for the Mustang on this site. I base this on the fact that numerous Mustang threads are started here. The comments tend to go beyond the simple rivalry, like this one. I tend to think that the fact the F-body was put on hiatus for the last 6 years while the Mustang soldiered on is why most are really upset. I understand this completely. I would be enraged too if my favorite make and model of car was discontinued, especially if it had such a large and faithful fan base like the Camaro.

I have a Mustang, and plan on owning a Camaro. I have posted here several times and make no secret I own a Mustang, so I can only assume (perhaps ASSuming) you are directing such a statment to me.

Believe me when I say I have ZERO jealousy or inferiority issues when it comes to my stang. If I was jealous simply because someone had a faster car with a larger displacement engine, or because some car that doesn't even exist yet is faster than my car...then I think I would question my manhood and maturity as an adult in general.

Bottom line is that I am an enthusiast and I hit the track as a hobby, but when I go to sleep at night I know a car is just a car. I've had track time, and yes I have both beaten and been beaten by F-bodies, stock or otherwise LS1s included with said stang. No big deal. Some F-bodies and stangs are stock, but the overwhelming majority are not...again no big deal.

By the way I also have a 1975 Corvette with a built 383 stroker that will blow the doors off of whatever Camaro hits the streets in 2009 short of a supercharged LS3. So it isn't about me "seeing the light. I know where all my cars stand on the pecking order.

You touched on an important point though. IMHO, this Ford vs. Chevy thing is an outdated rivalry. The battle has been between imports and domestics for a really long time now. This isn't the 60s, 70s, or even 80s.

By imports, I'm not talking about weak ass Civics with fart cans either. I'm talking about Evos, STis, M3s, Lotus, Supras, RX-7s (not RX-8s), and where I live in Europe I'm even talking about supposedly mythical R32 Skylines. These cars all hit the track where I go, and believe it or not the American car owners (F-bodies and Stangs) are regularly rooting each other on. Since my Mustang is in Germany and my Vette is at home in Cali, I belong to a mustang club here in Germany. Believe it or not we have more than a few F bodies and GTOs who also belong to the club. I guess because of the environment I compete in, I am much more open to being a fan of both Mustangs and Camaros. Which is what I am.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 06-14-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #19
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Lets keep the Camaro/Mustang rivalry respectful folks!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #20
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Rock, no, I wasn't directing anything specifically at you....I was mostly joking around and meant no real disrespect.

As a Chevy fan, more specifically, a Camaro fan, I have to throw jabs at Mustang guys and gals...similar to how brothers throw jabs at each other....but, yes, when it comes down to it, I will always root for and back up my "brothers" before I ever do so for an Import.

The rivalry isn't really dead, it's just less of a rivalry, much more of a fun rivalry than a "to-the-death" kind of thing and that has to do with the rise of the imports.

No real disrespect intended, and I definitely apologize if you took it that way.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #21
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
It's cool man.....I just like to get on here and write sometimes when I am bored. I'm just opinionated, but I try to keep it civil. That is why I threw the ASSume in there, because sometimes on forums you can't tell if someone is giving a good ribbing or flaming. I've had plenty of experience with both on internet forums.

I also like to talk about the new Mustang, because I like sharing my experience with it. Both bad and good.

That is why I have titled myself "The Mustang Apologist."

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote