Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
bigrich2021
 
Drives: Impala
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 9
Im just wondering this

How much of a difference would it be if instead of the 3.6 v6 the 5.3 v8 was put in. I thought the mileage was similar but I could be wrong and its still a v8.
bigrich2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,319
How do you figure the mileage is the same with the 5.3l v8? The 3.6l will get 27mpg on the highway and 19 in the city.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
bigrich2021
 
Drives: Impala
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 9
Well I thought I read smewhere that the ss impala gets 18/28 epa. I was thinking since they both put out about 300 hp but the torque on the v8 is better I would like that more. I guess I just don't like v6s
bigrich2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
the impala SS uses the front wheel drive version of the 5.3. that engine wouldn't work in this car. this V6 even had some die-hard V8 guys extremely pleased with it's performance, so it shouldn't be an issue. if you're that dead-set on a V8, just get the SS. it'll probably cost you more in the long run to try & do a engine swap.
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Dom
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockford
Posts: 119
Point 1. Putting a V8 would make a huge difference in insurance. Stupid insurance companies discriminate against V8 fbodies. I was treated like a criminal when I said I have a V8 not a V6 when getting my quote from State Farm. I'm automatically a street racer and need to pay double. Even though I have 0 tickets and 0 accidents on record.

Point 2. Fleet cars need to be cheap and V6 is a better sell then V8. 5.3 would probably cost more. GM makes a lot of sales to fleets. I rented a V6 camaro once. I don't think they had any Z28s.
__________________
2000 Z28 - current daily
1996 Camaro 3.8 - previous daily
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro
 
ZeeTwentyFour's Avatar
 
Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 474
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
the impala SS uses the front wheel drive version of the 5.3. that engine wouldn't work in this car. this V6 even had some die-hard V8 guys extremely pleased with it's performance, so it shouldn't be an issue. if you're that dead-set on a V8, just get the SS. it'll probably cost you more in the long run to try & do a engine swap.
i agree, the 5.3 is FWD first off so the amount of work to get it to work on a RWD car wouldn't be worth it, plus that engine's only advantage is that it makes more torque then the V6, I guess it also has AFM but dunno how that would work in a RWD transmission.

If you want a V8 just get the SS. the convenience of having the V8 installed from the factory and the fact that the LS3 OR L99>LS4 makes it a much better choice.
__________________
ZeeTwentyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Geno
 
Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich2021 View Post
How much of a difference would it be if instead of the 3.6 v6 the 5.3 v8 was put in. I thought the mileage was similar but I could be wrong and its still a v8.
Let me say somthing about the V6 vs the 5.3 V8. I have the 3.9 V6 rated at 27 and I can get 32 on interstate and 4 lane highway without the A/C on. 30.5 with. This is driving 65-70mph. My 3.9 gets better mileage at 65 than it does at 55. Most people don't believe me but that is the truth!
My brother has an Impala with the 5.3 V8 and the best interstate mileage between Indiana and California which they drove several times when they lived there, was 24. Sometimes even less.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich2021 View Post
Well I thought I read smewhere that the ss impala gets 18/28 epa. I was thinking since they both put out about 300 hp but the torque on the v8 is better I would like that more. I guess I just don't like v6s
So don't buy one?

Seriously, if you don't like v6's just buy the SS with the 6.2l v8 in it.


6.2 > 5.3

The price would probably end up being more if you bought a v6 and swapped in a 5.3 as opposed to just buying an SS anyway.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich2021 View Post
How much of a difference would it be if instead of the 3.6 v6 the 5.3 v8 was put in. I thought the mileage was similar but I could be wrong and its still a v8.
Minimal. You'd get that little bit more seat-of-the-pants grunt. And being that it's a FWD motor attempting to be shoved into a RWD car (like others have said) it just won't work very well. You'd also see a significant decrease in fuel economy (again, as others have said).

You're better off trying to improve the LLT to your desires. It's not a bad engine by any means: don't let 2 cylinders discourage you.

fwiw; the folks who've driven the car already are V8 to the bone, coming from 4thgen Z28s and SSs themselves. And more than a couple of them said it FELT just like their V8 fbodies. That's got to tell you something good about this V6.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
bigrich2021
 
Drives: Impala
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: maryland
Posts: 9
well i dont see anything wrong with the v6. My main focus is to atleast keep up with the gt mustang and all other competion so if the v6 can do that im fine. I really wanted the v8 because of the sound of a v8. It may not even be that much of a difference because the pontiac g8 gt doesnt have that good of a exuast note so im just waiting to see.
bigrich2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Point 1. Putting a V8 would make a huge difference in insurance. Stupid insurance companies discriminate against V8 fbodies. I was treated like a criminal when I said I have a V8 not a V6 when getting my quote from State Farm. I'm automatically a street racer and need to pay double. Even though I have 0 tickets and 0 accidents on record.

Point 2. Fleet cars need to be cheap and V6 is a better sell then V8. 5.3 would probably cost more. GM makes a lot of sales to fleets. I rented a V6 camaro once. I don't think they had any Z28s.
Actually they are more going to the point of what trim level your car is. I remember when i went in to get insurance for a monte carlo and impala, I told them I would have the six cylinder version, and he said, "that doesn't matter, I wanna know what trim it is" I said why, and he said, "If you has an LS then i will charge you the minimum, if you have an LTZ It will cost more, and if you have an SS, you will recieve the maximum". I proceded by saying, "well thats fu**in bullSH*t " And this was the time before the montes had V8 engines in them, and the SS was just a electronics package.
__________________
Next order of business>><<Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
And, if its not enough power for you, just buy a cold air intake (or design your own) and a cat back exhaust and bump it to about 340/300 at the flywheel. For about a grand, that's a much better deal than doing an engine swap.
- Xanthos
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Actually they are more going to the point of what trim level your car is. I remember when i went in to get insurance for a monte carlo and impala, I told them I would have the six cylinder version, and he said, "that doesn't matter, I wanna know what trim it is" I said why, and he said, "If you has an LS then i will charge you the minimum, if you have an LTZ It will cost more, and if you have an SS, you will recieve the maximum". I proceded by saying, "well thats fu**in bullSH*t " And this was the time before the montes had V8 engines in them, and the SS was just a electronics package.
Actually, that makes sense. I'm not saying it's right but think about it, a fully loaded Monte Carlo SS has an MSRP of about $31,500. The stripped base LS stickers for about $21,000. Based simply on the cost of vehicle, the insurance rate for the loaded SS should be about 50% more than the LS. If they are paying out a total loss claim, then it will/should cost them more to cover the SS instead of the LS.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
Beau
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 24
Note:

Not everyone wants a pushrod 2 valve v8 as their only choice in GM...

In fact if GM survives, you will see it all but disappear, and I cannot wait.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
MrGazinya

 
MrGazinya's Avatar
 
Drives: Aggressive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southampton, PA.
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Note:

Not everyone wants a pushrod 2 valve v8 as their only choice in GM...

In fact if GM survives, you will see it all but disappear, and I cannot wait.
__________________
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. Powdercoated 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: Diabloed by Jannetty Racing: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods:

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Point 1. Putting a V8 would make a huge difference in insurance. Stupid insurance companies discriminate against V8 fbodies. I was treated like a criminal when I said I have a V8 not a V6 when getting my quote from State Farm. I'm automatically a street racer and need to pay double. Even though I have 0 tickets and 0 accidents on record.

Point 2. Fleet cars need to be cheap and V6 is a better sell then V8. 5.3 would probably cost more. GM makes a lot of sales to fleets. I rented a V6 camaro once. I don't think they had any Z28s.
Point 3. Image is a big issue. From a marketing standpoint, having a 300 hp V6 sounds much more responsible than having a 300 hp V8, even if gas mileage was similar. Non-enthusiast buyers don't want V8s. They associate V8 with excess, gas guzzling, unsafe, loud, anti-social, and many other negatives. It just isn't their cup of tea. V6 pony cars traditionally appeal to image buyers and those who want a fun sporty-ish car, not necessarily a hard-core performance machine. The Camaro's V6 has done a great job of attracting the attention of those traditional V6 buyers and some V8 buyers as well. The 5.3L V8 would simply not do that.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pricing of V8 Camaros DGthe3 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 34 10-06-2008 08:11 PM
For those that are wondering who this is... Raven Off-topic Discussions 23 09-11-2008 01:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.