Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
AUS10BMX

 
AUS10BMX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RY, 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,251
Z/28 Inside Scoop

Of course there is always speculation, and things could change but...

I talked to a friend yesterday who is in the know about the new Z/28.

Yes, there is one being made, and it will be a 2012 model (so should be released in 2011).
The actual car (body) will not be changed because they have already been made and will not change this generation. What will change is the front and rear bumper, and of course engine, but wasn't told much about it.
Like mentioned in the thread on the home paige about the Corvette, V6 turbo for the future Camaro may also be in the works.
Also, NASCAR may be adopting the Camaro Z/28 (for the new release) instead of the Impala SS that they run now, and will incorporate the new front bumper of the Z/28 (the new NASCAR cars are changing the body styles once again, and are getting rid of the front chip splitters from what I understand, but thats another topic).

This is from a reliable source, and someone who works for a race team, Chevy of course, haha, and he knows whats up!
__________________

Hypertech | Airaid | JBA Exhaust | RX Catch Can/CNC TB/Black Ice-Olator | Ported Intake/Heads | 1LE Brembos | F14's | RS Headlights | ZL1 Grille
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
People who talk, don't know.

People who know, don't talk.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
AUS10BMX

 
AUS10BMX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RY, 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,251
Actually, this is someone who just doesn't mind telling it like it is, cause its gonna happen someday. I'm anxious just like he is, so thats why I'm sharing this.
__________________

Hypertech | Airaid | JBA Exhaust | RX Catch Can/CNC TB/Black Ice-Olator | Ported Intake/Heads | 1LE Brembos | F14's | RS Headlights | ZL1 Grille
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Actually, this is someone who just doesn't mind telling it like it is, cause its gonna happen someday. I'm anxious just like he is, so thats why I'm sharing this.
Seriously, I have several friends in very high places who work for two of the Detroit three. They have signed confidentiality agreements, and have their cell phones confiscated before going to product meetings. These guys are among my closest freinds, and they never talk. Ever.

They've told me many times, "I can't say anything". I'm not saying your friend is "wrong", but it's either common knowledge by now, or he doesn't know.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Jferrell88

 
Jferrell88's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2ss/rs
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Proctorville, OH
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
People who talk, don't know.

People who know, don't talk.
this is isnt really true here in this situation. we've all seen the photos he didnt really give anything you shouldn't already know away. last week it was reported on espn's nascar show from a chevy racing division remember that the current camaro didnt fit the current demographic but in the future that would change along with nascar giving back the manufactures some brand recognition
__________________
Jferrell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Tallboy
Say "when"...
 
Tallboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 2LT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88 View Post
this is isnt really true here in this situation. we've all seen the photos he didnt really give anything you shouldn't already know away. last week it was reported on espn's nascar show from a chevy racing division remember that the current camaro didnt fit the current demographic but in the future that would change along with nascar giving back the manufactures some brand recognition
It's absolutely true.

See the last two lines of post #4.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,084
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
It's absolutely true.
It is...but not everyone holds themselves to their agreements.

All we can really do is wait and see.

The Nascar bit is interesting to chew on.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It is...but not everyone holds themselves to their agreements.

All we can really do is wait and see.

The Nascar bit is interesting to chew on.
I've thought it extremely interesting that Chevy decided to stick with the Impala nameplate in the Nationwide Series while Ford went to Mustang and Dodge went to Challenger. Their "explanation" at the time never made much sense to me, but it's their decision. Time will tell if there are changes made in the future.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

The Nascar bit is interesting to chew on.
Yeah, we already knew about the other stuff, but yeah the Nascar angle is a new twist.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,084
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I've thought it extremely interesting that Chevy decided to stick with the Impala nameplate in the Nationwide Series while Ford went to Mustang and Dodge went to Challenger. Their "explanation" at the time never made much sense to me, but it's their decision. Time will tell if there are changes made in the future.
Clyde
Oh, I understand it completely. A racecar won't sell cars...because they reflect nothing on the vehicle in the showroom, and people know it. At best, it gets the name out there...but Camaro is already everywhere. And the 5thgen Camaro owes a large portion of its success to its design. By removing everything but the name for NASCAR, you dissolve that....and they didn't want to.

Actually...of the three, it's funny to think that the Impala looks the closest to its 'stock'car cousin!

EDIT: While I like to see the Camaro name be everywhere and on everything....I also like that they're making it do its own thing, and not play follow-the-leader.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Of course there is always speculation, and things could change but...

I talked to a friend yesterday who is in the know about the new Z/28.

Yes, there is one being made, and it will be a 2012 model (so should be released in 2011).
The actual car (body) will not be changed because they have already been made and will not change this generation. What will change is the front and rear bumper, and of course engine, but wasn't told much about it.
Like mentioned in the thread on the home paige about the Corvette, V6 turbo for the future Camaro may also be in the works.
Also, NASCAR may be adopting the Camaro Z/28 (for the new release) instead of the Impala SS that they run now, and will incorporate the new front bumper of the Z/28 (the new NASCAR cars are changing the body styles once again, and are getting rid of the front chip splitters from what I understand, but thats another topic).

This is from a reliable source, and someone who works for a race team, Chevy of course, haha, and he knows whats up!
I don't see Chevy running the Camaro nameplate in the Cup Series as long as Ford is still running the Fusion and Dodge is still running the Charger, I think they'll stick to Impala unless every manufacturer changes. The puzzlement was Chevy not moving to the Camaro nameplate for the Nationwide Series when the new bodies came out and Ford/Dodge moved to Mustang/Challenger nameplates.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Oh, I understand it completely. A racecar won't sell cars...because they reflect nothing on the vehicle in the showroom, and people know it. At best, it gets the name out there...but Camaro is already everywhere. And the 5thgen Camaro owes a large portion of its success to its design. By removing everything but the name for NASCAR, you dissolve that....and they didn't want to.

Actually...of the three, it's funny to think that the Impala looks the closest to its 'stock'car cousin!
Makes me want the return of true stock car racing, or barring that at least have the bodies look "correct". Perhaps we'll one day see a Z/28 in some type of NASCAR venue.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,084
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Makes me want the return of true stock car racing, or barring that at least have the bodies look "correct". Perhaps we'll one day see a Z/28 in some type of NASCAR venue.
Clyde
I'm right there with you.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,082
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
People who talk, don't know.

People who know, don't talk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Seriously, I have several friends in very high places who work for two of the Detroit three. They have signed confidentiality agreements, and have their cell phones confiscated before going to product meetings. These guys are among my closest freinds, and they never talk. Ever.

They've told me many times, "I can't say anything". I'm not saying your friend is "wrong", but it's either common knowledge by now, or he doesn't know.
Exactly.

*looks at Number 3*
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM: Arguments for a Spring 2011 Z/28 release! sen10l Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 25 04-10-2011 01:39 PM
4-Sale 2001 Z/28 Show Car A4, t-tops 01pewterz28 Autos For Sale / Wanted 10 08-12-2010 08:26 AM
Oo Er.. doubting getting the Z/28 now.. rez333 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 65 05-25-2010 05:04 AM
Faux hood scoop..... CamaroSpike23 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 10-13-2008 08:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.