Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
ruckus328

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro 2LT/RS
Camaro Quirks - What would you change?

Hi guys, new here. Proud new owner of a 2011 2LT/RS. I love the car like nobody's business, but after having it a couple weeks now there's a few things that I've found quirky that make me wonder "why". Just thought it'd be fun to make a wish list of things that could be changed/improved upon. Who knows, maybe our cries will be heard in the future. I don't have an SS, but I know already a couple of the things on the top of you V8 guy's list will be the 1-4 shift thing and the 4 cylinder mode. For me, it's just little things, nothing poerformance related and nothing that even remotely close outweighs the pros of the car, and granted I didn't get the car because it was "practical", but:

Sun visor's - those things are so tiny I find them useless.

Steering wheel/controls - I'm convinced whoever designed it had alien hands. It's really awkward to try and reach the controls. And woulda been much more practical to put the stereo controls on the LEFT side, since for me anyways, I multitask often and there's lots of times I'll be reaching for something with me right hand and trying to change the volume, which is pretty much impossible now with the controls being on the right.

Sure wish I had someplace to put all that change that's always falling between my seats :(

Those cup holders - couldn't they have made them the same size? The one is so small I can't fit anything bigger than a soda can in it. Which sucks in the mornings when the wife and I both have our coffee mugs.

Anyone want to 2nd any of this or add anything?
ruckus328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Everything I want in this car, I have...All aluminum LS3, 6 spd manual, good suspension, great looks, large wheels/tires. Nothing else matters.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
stryker755

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM w/ IOM Stripes
I agree with all of your observations, but also with Paul SS about all that really matters. In fact, just this morning my coffee mug was too big to fit in the cupholder, so I had to scramble for somewhere to put it in between shifts, and still got coffee on the console. Just need to plan ahead more.

MODS: Maggie TVS2300 w/ 3.4 pulley, Speed Inc Rough Idle Blower Cam, Stainless Works Headers and Full 3" Exhaust, Upgraded Fuel System, Roto Fab CAI, Autometer Cobalt Dual Gauge Pod, MGW Retro Shifter, Hines HEX Vents, RX Catch Can, ZL1 Spoiler & Grille, TSW Nurburgring Wheels, Nitto Invo Tires

604 RWHP, 543 RWTQ

Built and tuned by Speed Inc.
stryker755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
ruckus328

Ohh, don't get me wrong, it's got it where it counts, that's why I bought it. I wasn't thinking "cup holders" when I went to the dealer haha. Just realized I put this in the wrong thread....doh!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Sun visors need a horizontal extender so they can cover the side window.
Smaller A-pillar
No AFM on the automatic, or tune it so it doesnt go on/off constantly when cruising.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
miami64

Drives: 2005 ram 3500, 79 trans am,
i kind of find it anoying that every time i have to turn the ac on i have to click on the recicle and ac buttons on the right knob everytime.. it doesnt stay memorized like all other cars ive had that you just turn the ac knob and the settings are saved, do your camaros do that too?
miami64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami64 View Post
i kind of find it anoying that every time i have to turn the ac on i have to click on the recicle and ac buttons on the right knob everytime.. it doesnt stay memorized like all other cars ive had that you just turn the ac knob and the settings are saved, do your camaros do that too?
Mine stays on most of the time. Only rarely does it seem to shut those options off. Not sure why sometimes it stays on and sometimes not.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
KowalskiCamaro

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 1SS & 2011 Durango
CUP HOLDERS! If Chevy wants to hire me as a consultant, I think I could solve that problem and come up with a better design/location. For a vehicle with a manual transmission, the cup holders are basically useless in the Camaro.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
miami64

Drives: 2005 ram 3500, 79 trans am,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Mine stays on most of the time. Only rarely does it seem to shut those options off. Not sure why sometimes it stays on and sometimes not.
yea weird, im gona have the dealer chek it out, it stays on when you drive the car often and dont park it too long but if you leave the car parked for more than an hour you have to press all those buttons to get the ac cold
miami64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker755 View Post
I agree with all of your observations, but also with Paul SS about all that really matters. In fact, just this morning my coffee mug was too big to fit in the cupholder, so I had to scramble for somewhere to put it in between shifts, and still got coffee on the console. Just need to plan ahead more.

GET AN AUTOMATIC. LOL!

Just kidding. I know how you stick guys love your manuals.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
ruckus328

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskiCamaro View Post
CUP HOLDERS! If Chevy wants to hire me as a consultant, I think I could solve that problem and come up with a better design/location. For a vehicle with a manual transmission, the cup holders are basically useless in the Camaro.
My RX8 had a set in the back that was still reachable from the front seats (they could easily put them in the camaro in the same spot). The front cup holders were where the camaro's are, but lower so they didn't completely abstruct your arm while trying to shift. It still used to annoy the hell outta me though. The placement in the camaro is even worse.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Put a REAL 8" NAV touchscreen like my Acura had.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Get rid of the radio/HVAC integration.
Make the bluetooth/ipod control an option on the 1SS
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
kd4hey
Motorhead Wannabe

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (L99) RJT
Send a message via Skype™ to kd4hey
Remote release for the fuel filler door, & put it on the drivers side! As expensive as fuel is getting (& as malicious as some people are) it doesn't make sense to make it easy for bad people. Yes, the remote release is easy to get around, but not without leaving signs that they've been there.

In a car with visibility issues, putting the fuel filler on the passenger side makes NO sense. The only upside I can think of is I usually don't have to worry about banging the driver door on the pump. Still, would rather have it on the drivers side.

Just my 2 cents.

2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT VIN# 116938 Del: 27AUG2010 "Veronica" is a wet dream on wheels!
Former Ride: 2010 1LT RJT 15AUG2009 - 27AUG2010 "Victoria" was one fine lady! CamaroSouth - Columbia Chapter Member
kd4hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4hey View Post
Remote release for the fuel filler door, & put it on the drivers side! As expensive as fuel is getting (& as malicious as some people are) it doesn't make sense to make it easy for bad people. Yes, the remote release is easy to get around, but not without leaving signs that they've been there.

In a car with visibility issues, putting the fuel filler on the passenger side makes NO sense. The only upside I can think of is I usually don't have to worry about banging the driver door on the pump. Still, would rather have it on the drivers side.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't think theives syphon any more, too many baffles in the filler tube. These days they just punch a hole in the tank and let it drain into a pan.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I just scuffed my right front rim on a curb. Would be nice to have a tire that isn't flush with the edge of the wheel.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4hey View Post

Just my 2 cents.
I have heard the argument that the fuel filler is on the passenger side so when you run out of gas, you won't be standing in traffic when adding fuel from a portable container.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Ahhhh, that makes perfect sense! I agree with that!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami64 View Post

My AC stays where I had it set the last time I used it.

As far as changes to the car, the passenger seat should have controls like the drivers seat (especially to raise and lower it).

I don't allow food or drink in my car, so the cup holder thing is moot for me.

I would like a place to put loose change.

The stereo system should NOT integrate car functions in it. This just makes it too difficult to put an after-market head unit in the car. I would love to upgrade the entire audio system at some point. I did put a subwoofer box in already and that helped a lot, but someday I'd like to put a whole new system in with a Nav screen. I don't think even Metra has got it quite right yet.

Nav screen should be an option from GM.

I'd like to see the car come from the factory with a lower stance (about 1" lower). I've had drop springs put in mine and it makes the car corner MUCH better and it just looks better that way.

Don't get me wrong, I consider all these things to be minor. I love my Camaro, but these are a few tweaks I would like to see made.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I'm with emma. No food or drink ever. Delete cup holders behind shifter.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #21
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I am absolutely happy with my 2010 2SSRS Camaro, best Camaro's ever made.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #22
gotroost

Drives: IOM 2SS RS
Very minor peeve, but I hate how the audio unit defaults to the iPod when I start it up and back it out of garage. Just leave it alone and show no service or something. Car thinks it smarter than me or something. Have to reset it to what I want every morning.

Cup holders suck with a M6, but this may be a brilliant plan. Can't drive properly and drink hot liquid. Also prevents sticky spills with expensive foo-foo Starbucks stuff... Money easily saved for gas or mods.
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #23
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
I've got a laundry list of things I'd like to change.

1. Visibility and the view looking out is the worst I've ever seen in a car. I thought it was odd when I bought the car but as with all new cars it just seemed different and something to get used to. As time has marched forward I find myself more and more annoyed by it
  2. Cupholders are designed by a failed community college engineer
  3. Shifter on the M6 is beyond bad. It's really just unbearable. I have to slam the F'er into gear. The car is currently in the shop to see what the deal is but...we shall see
  4. Onstar... I know it's on all GM vehicles but it's annoying. Their "navigation" and bulk they add to the rear view mirror is no good. We already have a limited view going out and a bulky mirror doesn't help
  5. Lack of power passenger seat... they have power controls for the back but a manual level for moving it forward. Seems silly.
  6. Exhaust note on the SS is pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. I might as well be driving my GF's Mountaineer.
  7. Trunk opening is one weird shape. This isn't a huge deal to me but since we are pointing out things we'd like to change... I'd like to see it moved to a more rectangular shape instead of the awkward oval.
  8. Would love to see the fuel range AFTER the low fuel indicator shows up on the DIC. On my GT500 the low fuel would come on and display on the info center but then you pressed "Reset" and it went back to the miles to empty so you could gauge just how badly you needed gas. Is it always accurate? no, but you learn it.
  9. Seatbelt holders on the shoulders of the seats should be better. There are so many times that I undo it by accident. It's a great little holder and it does its job well but it needs to be a bit more secure.
  10. Unlock/lock door button. Who the hell puts it in the middle of the radio dash? To this day I still can't remember that it is there and I always reach for it on the door. It is the only car I've ever seen with it not on the door and I don't know why. It confuses me... I'm trying to retrain myself after 25 years... it's a slow process.
  11. Sunroof should go back into the roofline not above the roof. I know that would mean a change to the design of the roof but I'm just laying all my concerns out there in the name of constructive criticism.
  12. Windshield wiper lever... why does it go up and not down to turn on the wipers? Again, another backasswards thing that didn't need to be different from every other car in existence.
  13. Hard plastic on the door inserts. It really goes along with the seatbelt restraint holder comment. Since the hold fails so much I don't bother trying to use it. Consequently I have to reach back every time I get in the car and since I wear a watch it kind of scuffs the plastic on the door. It isn't a full blow scratch but it does leave a mark.
  14. Hand brake... again why is it on the wrong side? I know it is the same as the Vette but that still doesn't explain why to I nearly need to reach into my passenger's lap to grab the hand brake?
  15. I'd like to see the ambient lighting encompass the cupholders. I like that feature of the GT500 I looked at.
  16. Audio system doesn't always recognize the iPod so then it defaults back to FM but then when the iPod is recognized a minute or two later it auto plays the iPod. When it does so it loses the last place I was on and so it defaults to playing all songs and starts in alpha order. By now I have the first minute of that song memorized so well I could recite it hammered on LSD. I can no longer ever listen to that song for fun.
  17. The accelerated scrolling when using the iPod is hit or miss. Sometimes it is WAY too aggressive and skips eaisly. Other times when I want to skip I can't get it to.
  18. No one over 5'10" can sit in my front seat straight up without whacking their head on the ceiling. I'm not talking 6'6" basketball players but several friends are 6' or 6'1" and they have to slouch.
Ok. I think I am done for now.

I realize some things are nit picky, I admit it, but I am being truthful in terms of thinks I'd like to see changed.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
harmonicator
Super Lead Plexi

Drives: "Elvira" 2010 Blk Camaro 3SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
I've got a laundry list of things I'd like to change.

1. Visibility and the view looking out is the worst I've ever seen in a car. I thought it was odd when I bought the car but as with all new cars it just seemed different and something to get used to. As time has marched forward I find myself more and more annoyed by it
  2. Cupholders are designed by a failed community college engineer
  3. Shifter on the M6 is beyond bad. It's really just unbearable. I have to slam the F'er into gear. The car is currently in the shop to see what the deal is but...we shall see
  4. Onstar... I know it's on all GM vehicles but it's annoying. Their "navigation" and bulk they add to the rear view mirror is no good. We already have a limited view going out and a bulky mirror doesn't help
  5. Lack of power passenger seat... they have power controls for the back but a manual level for moving it forward. Seems silly.
  6. Exhaust note on the SS is pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. I might as well be driving my GF's Mountaineer.
  7. Trunk opening is one weird shape. This isn't a huge deal to me but since we are pointing out things we'd like to change... I'd like to see it moved to a more rectangular shape instead of the awkward oval.
  8. Would love to see the fuel range AFTER the low fuel indicator shows up on the DIC. On my GT500 the low fuel would come on and display on the info center but then you pressed "Reset" and it went back to the miles to empty so you could gauge just how badly you needed gas. Is it always accurate? no, but you learn it.
  9. Seatbelt holders on the shoulders of the seats should be better. There are so many times that I undo it by accident. It's a great little holder and it does its job well but it needs to be a bit more secure.
  10. Unlock/lock door button. Who the hell puts it in the middle of the radio dash? To this day I still can't remember that it is there and I always reach for it on the door. It is the only car I've ever seen with it not on the door and I don't know why. It confuses me... I'm trying to retrain myself after 25 years... it's a slow process.
  11. Sunroof should go back into the roofline not above the roof. I know that would mean a change to the design of the roof but I'm just laying all my concerns out there in the name of constructive criticism.
  12. Windshield wiper lever... why does it go up and not down to turn on the wipers? Again, another backasswards thing that didn't need to be different from every other car in existence.
  13. Hard plastic on the door inserts. It really goes along with the seatbelt restraint holder comment. Since the hold fails so much I don't bother trying to use it. Consequently I have to reach back every time I get in the car and since I wear a watch it kind of scuffs the plastic on the door. It isn't a full blow scratch but it does leave a mark.
  14. Hand brake... again why is it on the wrong side? I know it is the same as the Vette but that still doesn't explain why to I nearly need to reach into my passenger's lap to grab the hand brake?
  15. I'd like to see the ambient lighting encompass the cupholders. I like that feature of the GT500 I looked at.
  16. Audio system doesn't always recognize the iPod so then it defaults back to FM but then when the iPod is recognized a minute or two later it auto plays the iPod. When it does so it loses the last place I was on and so it defaults to playing all songs and starts in alpha order. By now I have the first minute of that song memorized so well I could recite it hammered on LSD. I can no longer ever listen to that song for fun.
  17. The accelerated scrolling when using the iPod is hit or miss. Sometimes it is WAY too aggressive and skips eaisly. Other times when I want to skip I can't get it to.
  18. No one over 5'10" can sit in my front seat straight up without whacking their head on the ceiling. I'm not talking 6'6" basketball players but several friends are 6' or 6'1" and they have to slouch.
Ok. I think I am done for now.

I realize some things are nit picky, I admit it, but I am being truthful in terms of thinks I'd like to see changed.
Entertaining write-up. You nailed it alright. You even touched on things I have subconsciously not liked.

Fax this to GM. The Z28 doesn't need these issues.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #25
BudlyUSA
Blue Baron

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM w/SRS L99 Polished 20s
But you know, with the 18 items aside.
You can say you have one from the first year of the generation
and
WE ALL STILL LOVE THE CRAP OUT OF THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!
BudlyUSA is offline   Reply With Quote