Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
Quartermile

Drives: 2011 2SS
Happens to my 2011 2SS at 65-70MPH. I went WOT and it went away
Quartermile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash535i View Post
Did anyone get a resolution on this? I just drove home a new SS RS (put miles 31-76 on it) and noticed the surge during cruise was pretty bad. Almost like someone is slightly tapping on the breaks just slightly every few seconds.
Mine stopped hesitating!! Just stopped one day... According to my dealer they have had a couple of other owners experience the hesitation and it stopped for them also.

I have put about 2000 miles on it since it last hesitated.

They let me drive another SS on their lot and it did it as well...
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #28
Hot Lava

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am having the same issue with my 2011. It is driving me nuts cause I didn't pay that much money for a car to run like this. It didn't do it at first when I bought it and then around 800 miles I really started to notice it. Mine does it at high and low speeds and is almost not enjoyable to drive. To get rid of it I have to give it more gas. I constantly use premium gas. The dealer I first took it into said it was a driveline droan and then later said it was the AFM and was normal operation. I don't understand how anyone could say this is normal operation for a $40k car. Sorry about my rants and raves just really tired of this issue as I am sure many of you are too.
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #29
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lava View Post
I am having the same issue with my 2011. It is driving me nuts cause I didn't pay that much money for a car to run like this. It didn't do it at first when I bought it and then around 800 miles I really started to notice it. Mine does it at high and low speeds and is almost not enjoyable to drive. To get rid of it I have to give it more gas. I constantly use premium gas. The dealer I first took it into said it was a driveline droan and then later said it was the AFM and was normal operation. I don't understand how anyone could say this is normal operation for a $40k car. Sorry about my rants and raves just really tired of this issue as I am sure many of you are too.

Mine now has about 6700 miles and is still doing it.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #30
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
GM has not been up front with the whole AFM issue. If I was told that when AFM enables and disables, I would some times feel hesitation, surging and exhaust noise and that would allow me to save 1 mile per gal (or ever how much) then I could have made a more informed decision as to weather I wanted to have a car with that system. I talked to salesman at 2 dealers about AFM and both said u would not notice the operation. Its been used on PUs for years. I was blind sided by this.

Because of this crap we loose 25HP, have a more complicated system and have to put up with hesitation, surging and exhaust noise. And to add to the insult we have to pay a 1185 premium.
You give up 25 peak hp, but the flatter torque curve that comes with variable valve timing actually gives you MORE hp at engine speeds under 4200 rpm (the range you operate in 90% of the time).

AFM is noticeable, for sure, but fortunately, the seamless A6 tranny more than makes up for it.

But, if you don't believe me, get a manual.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #31
cmore

Would take to big of a finical hit to swap to a manual. Just wish they would have a way to turn it off.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #32
bamacarfool

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSII
Welcome to my world! I've got 26K miles on my car now (2SS/automatic) and I noticed this from day 1 after picking up my car (ordered as soon as I could, paid $2500.00 premium!). My dealer told me to "call Chevrolet" - I did - what a joke! No help at all, pretty much told me to live with it - it's "how it's designed to work" according to them. AFM is not a feature, it is totally riduculous the way it works. Since about 1K miles I've driven the car with the paddles to avoid having to deal with the herky-jerky crap of the AFM. I owned an '02 Camaro SS Anniversary Edition before this car, and a '99 SS before that. When I've had enough of dealing with my "new" Camaro with the AFM I'll buy something else. I told Chevrolet "customer service?" that I would NEVER buy another GM product and they told me to "have a nice day". This is the "new" GM they adverstise on TV. I think a competitor designed this to drive customers away from GM - it worked for me!
bamacarfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #33
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Has anyone considered using a tuner to turn off the AFM? I'd do this berfore dealing with the problem if GM can't fix it, and especially before considering trading the car in.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
cmore

Yes, but not ready to ditch the warranty, just yet.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #35
BIGSWOLE

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS (L99)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub zero View Post
i have same problem in my l99 , i feel the hesitates in the first monthes but i'm didn't take it in seriously because it was happening to me at low speed and i dedn't changed my exhaust that time , but now i change my exhaust system and usually i drive my car in high way and i'm just feeling the hesitates and with the new exhaust it make high noise during driving and i feel that noise aulso when i puting in cruise control at 140km , i thought this noise comes from the exhaust at the beginning ..

the thing which i'm not know why it's happen , during i'm driving in high speed and the cruise control worked in 140km , i try to change the gear shift to manual and the sound is just desappeared !!

i hated the automatic gear after happen to me this problem specialy with MAGNAFLOW exhaust the sound come huge !!
HUH?????
BIGSWOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #36
bamacarfool

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSII
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
Has anyone considered using a tuner to turn off the AFM? I'd do this berfore dealing with the problem if GM can't fix it, and especially before considering trading the car in.
Yes, I thought about it. Then I thought about the fact that my warranty would be gone (per the dealer) - hence my decision to use the paddle shifters instead of running it off a cliff and collecting the insurance money and buying something else. It was the way I was treated by the dealer (Maher Chevrolet in St Pete, Fl.) and GM that really got me fired up. "Give us your money - then go away"! I'm done with GM!
bamacarfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Only when cold for me.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #38
2010_BumbleBee
2010 Camaro SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
AFM tuned OUT..... ONLY way for me.... Lets see if GM voids warranty.... I would love that battle....
2010_BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
Rich1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
I also had my AFM turned off. The car runs and sounds so much better....

Last edited by Rich1; 04-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #40
myslo$$

Drives: 2010 2SS
Fix hesitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
David79z28, could you send your case number so that I can review it? Also when we give our customers the resolution for their case we are given (most times) the resolution from the dealership as per their diagnosis of your vehicle and situation at the time. This is why in some cases we do suggest that you take your vehicle to another dealership to see if the other dealership can offer any insight into the problem with the vehicle and possibly give a different resolution. It doesn't work all the time but many times it has been a determining factor in positive outcomes. I hope that answers your question. I hope to hear from you soon.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Jeff, no disrespect, but Chevrolet must know by now they have a hesitation problem on the L99 engine judging from all the posts on this forum and, if there was a fix for it, they would have issued a service bulletin by now. Taking it to another dealer isn't going to solve a thing, just waste the owners time and try his patience. I have a feeling these posts are just the tip of the iceberg. How many other people don't bother to post, or even take the time or bother to part with their car long enough to try and get it fixed. I tried the dealer route once and, after two days without it, was told I needed to use premium fuel. That's like a slap in the face. 93 octane gas is all my 2010 SS has seen since the odo showed 4 mi. I can't speak for the gas that was in it before I got it. I got back in my stock '02 SS automatic today and realized what a muscle car is supposed to do. Push on the throttle and it goes - no lag , no hesitation, no reduced power and it will run side by side with my new one! How is that possible considering the 2SS has 2 extra gears, an extra 30 cu.in., and a supposed 50+ horsepower advantage?
As I see it, the only way we owners will ever see a resolution to this problem is to make it widely known that there is a problem and that Chevy doesn't know how to fix it. Maybe that might light a fire under somebody's duff to try and solve the problem.

Last edited by myslo$$; 05-03-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added info
myslo$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #41
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
myslo$$, I understand your position and I am sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your vehicle. Unfortunately the best and often times only way for us to assist our customers is through our dealership network and our Customer Assistance team. If you've been to the dealership and have not contacted our Customer Assistance then I would like to setup a case for you with them to make sure that we do what we can to assist you and make sure that we are made aware of these issues. If we are not contacted then we do not get this information and are more or less blinded to the issues due to a lack of information. This is where I come in. I forward these issues on to the proper departments for analysis, review and hopefully action. I hope that helps to explain part of the reason of why I am here and I am doing my best to assist in this matter.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Svc; 07-06-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #42
thesaint

Drives: 2011 camaro ss/rs
I have these exact symptoms of hesitation, especially on the highway. Set the cruise and it feels like the car is got a major problem bucking, hunting, but no light on the dash? I would really like to know what the hell this is before I bring it into my dealer. 2011 l99 ss with 900mi on the clock. I have checked my maf when I got the car, it was the single letter, purchased the one that has been designated to be "strong" just to be safe.
thesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #43
fsugreg

Drives: Red jewel tint
How can I turn off the AFM?
fsugreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #44
bash535i

Drives: 2011 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsugreg View Post
How can I turn off the AFM?
Is the consensus that this is definitely an AFM issue? My daughter's 2011 L99 (I posted in same thread earlier) is going on 5 months old and about 3,000 miles and there is no sign of it correcting matters on its own. I've always used 93 Octane and have also did the fuse pull just in case.

I don't like to say it, but I hate riding or driving in the car. When I get out of it and into my '11 CTSV, the perceived smoothness of power delivery at cruise is daylight and dark. Technically, I guess that would apply to full throttle conditions too, but there is no good reason that the SS can't pull itself down the highway without stumbling.

If it's an AFM issue that can't be fixed, it's shameful that we have to void the warranty to get a smooth operating machine.
Other than that, I'd have to say that I'm fairly impressed with the build of the car.
bash535i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #45
cmore

If u notice it while driving at a constant speed and it is not a drastic effect, I would say it is a "feature" of our L99. U could take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #46
quee.raj

Drives: 2011
I would definitely start with the idle air control valve. You may be able to take it apart, and clean it up a little with some carb cleaner.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #47
fsugreg

I've taken my 2011 2ss auto to three dealers. They all say it's the AMF. I found out that it is the AMF by doing this. Take the car on the road. While driving, place the shifter into manual mode. Doing only this, an "S" appears on the display. While in manual mode push the "+" paddle on the steering wheel. You'll notice that all the hesitation, and surging goes away. I've done this at many speeds, and while using cruise control on the highway and the surging is gone. What I don't like is, we should have been told about this prior to buying the car, and there should be an option to disengage it. My understanding is that the AMF only give you one more mile per gallon. Not worth it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #48
fsugreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I also had my AFM turned off. The car runs and sounds so much better....
How did you turn of AMF?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #49
thesaint

Drives: 2011 camaro ss/rs
With the full understanding that a "tune" will drastically improve the car and is certain death for the power train warranty, has someone been able to just turn off the AFM as to not trip the ecu "counter". There has to be a way to get this "feature" to not dominate my car.
thesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #50
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Mine has been doing this more lately. Im going to go check to make sure my MAF is clean (can clean with electrical contact cleaner) and check the filter also.