Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
Funny story

Ok so I'm riding down Reilly Rd this afternoon coming from the gym headed to gamestop to pick up my Madden11, anyway I get to the light at a four way intersection an a white Toyota minivan pulls up next to me and it's a soccer mom and her female friend. So the lit is red and I can see her checking her side mirror to see where Im at reason I know is because she is on the passenger side of me and I never pull al the way to the stopping line at light due to traffic turning that wants to cut the turn short. Anyway her lane runs out into a turning lane into Mcdonalds and mine keeps going, as you can tell by now you see where this is going. So anyway the light she turns green and her v6 takes off and she puts her arms up like she won a race, and so I get up behind her and as soon as traffic gets by the lanes open back to a two lane rd again. We get to the light and I pull up beside her, she rolls her window down and says to me "a little slow off the start huh" in a sarcastic voice. All I could do is laugh and say jokingly "I'll jet you next time" and pull off she laughed and waved and I went to get my madden. Truly funny!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
REDGEM

Drives: Red Jewel Tint 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Get used to it! Happens to me all of the time. Sometimes I just sigh or laugh or both...and I have to admit that sometimes I let them go for a few seconds and then I launch! The evil twin in my head just cannot take it and let it go every single time it happens!
REDGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You left the part out that afterwards they both came over and played "madden" with you.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
raqball
The little LS that could

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I have seen plenty of HOT soccer moms in vans.... Gotta love em!!!!

raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
You left the part out that afterwards they both came over and played "madden" with you.
Now THAT would have been a good story haha

I can't let people be in front of me. not that I race them, but if there is a car in front of me... it just bothers me and if possible I MUST be leading them... it's a disorder
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
LoneCynic

Drives: 2011 IBM LS M6
Nearly every day someone does this to me when I drive my Camaro. They get next to you and somehow they have a compulsion to try and outrun you. You can see it coming. I let them go most times, gas costs too much to show everyone up. I rarely take off fast, because I don't want to instigate things anymore than I have to. The fact that I am driving a Camaro does enough of that already.

What generally happens is that once we take off, and I start slowly shifting up I quickly overtake them without even really trying. It is funny as heck though when I get up to a comfortable cruising speed, that I so often see them in my rear view mirror, pushing their four bangers hard to try and keep up with my humble V6. Sometimes they get right up near me, and you can see on their faces that they're proud of themselves for "catching up" to me.

I'd be a liar if I told you that I don't sometimes drop down to that 6th gear and cruise right on ahead without ever being loud or coming off like I am ever pushing to beat them. I think the fact that I do it so casually ticks them off more than if I'd just floored it at the light and left them in the dust. That's what they seem to expect me to do, but going about it the way I do burns more because I let them think they're going to catch up first, then effortlessly pull away without ever pushing my ride too hard, wasting fuel, or putting undue wear and tear on the tires and such by trying to beat them right off the bat.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 2SS/RS CGM #75,288
Ya, happens to me all the time too. Especially when I'm first in line at a stop light. Someone always beside me just feels the need to punch it and take off, like I'm gonna race them or something?? I think it's funny. I work across the street from a high school too - so you can imagine the fun I have on my drive home.. I'll have kids in Corolla's gassing it and egging me on - I just wave to them..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
I've owned various car makes and models over the years and there have been a few times that some dope in a "nothing-mobile" pulled into the same business as me and made a point of smirking and saying, "Huh. I thought ______'s were faster than that." Each time that happened, I always responded with the truth, "Dude, I don't even remember seeing you in traffic." In every instance I had to break the sad news that while they thought they were in some award-winning race, I was just running an errand or going to lunch or whatever and wasn't even in the throttle heavily.

Competitive drivers like that are my pet peeve. They're always trying to prove something and they always wind up in my way when I need to change lanes. Sorry you have control issues, now please go away.
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
LoneCynic

Drives: 2011 IBM LS M6
Yeah, I had one of those cases yesterday. There is about an eight mile stretch of freeway I take on my way home from work each day. I make a right turn onto it from a side road, and eight miles down, I take a left turn off of it onto another side road.

Here's what happened, I got in the left lane early on because my turn off is not far down the road. Was passing a van when I noticed a two door Honda Accord Coupe riding my tailpipe like he was in a hurry to get around the van too. So I got over in the right lane to let him get around. (I got off work early and was just enjoying the drive home)

He runs up parallel to me and just stays there keeping pace. He revs up ahead just a bit three times, and then each time lets off to keep pace with me. He obviously wanted to race, but I had a turn off coming up in about four miles at this point, and I needed to be in the left lane. The next time he revved up, I just dropped down a gear, and slid in behind him in the left lane so I could make my turn in time.

I failed to "play" with him, so he lays onto the brakes hard, making me quickly do the same, then floors it immediately following. His cheap aftermarket exhaust spewing smoke as he peels on up ahead. I just shook my head and got into my turn lane when it came up.

I love driving my Camaro, but everyone wanting to race on a daily basis gets old fast.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
No one pays attention to me in my small town of Franklin, Tennessee. It is probably because there are so many Lamboghini, Ferrari, ZR1, Porsche, Vipers, etc. here!

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bi11ymc View Post
No one pays attention to me in my small town of Franklin, Tennessee. It is probably because there are so many Lamboghini, Ferrari, ZR1, Porsche, Vipers, etc. here!
Gotta love those small towns

Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
TXGooch21

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post