Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Your thoughts on what I ordered.

So a few weeks ago, I walked into my Chevrolet Dealership and put a down payment for a new 2010 Chevy Camaro... Now that I've registered to Camaro5.com (awesome website BTW), I've seen different pics and such and now I'm 2nd guessing myself about color, and the "add-ons" I ordered.

I ordred a 2SS with a Automatic Tranny: I have no problem driving a stick, but I can see myself getting tired of shifting. Also, the tranny kocks off 20 horses. Any opinions? The 2SS auto comes with TAP shift, which I know isnt "true" manuel, I can always use it if I need to.

Inferno Orange Metallic: I've seen so many pictures on the IOM, some looking red, some looking oragnge. The Dealership gave me print out of the available colors and the IOM they showed me was a more light orange color. For all that ordered the IOM color, what are your thoughts?

RS Package: I really want what comes with the RS package, not only will look "cooler" with the Halo Ring lights, but I'm assuming that it will have a better resale value with the Package installed. The only thing I dont want is for Chevrolet to replace the SS badges with the RS badges. Anybody else feel this way? Anybody know if you can still have the RS package but keep all the SS badges?

IOM interior accent package: I've seen different pictures that differ between the stiching in the black leather (Oragne Stitching) to Orange covering the seats where ever the body touches. Including the panels, shift knob, and stearing wheel. Anybody have any opintions? In my opinion I my opinion I love how the inside matches the outside, but is it too much orange for a car?

Sunroof: At first, I wanted a sunroof (I live in Florida). Now I've heard that the Sunroof will come out of the car. I hate that look on a car. Also, the pictures I've seen, the sunroof option gets rid of the "reverse mohawk" on the roof of the car. And slapping a 900 dollar feature on a 38k+ car isnt really in my budget.

Stripes: I forget the code for the stripes (sorry, this computer can't load 2 sites at once). But I want the 2 black stipes that run from the front to the rear of the car. And now I've seen that black stripes are "Dealer Installed" and not from the factory. I don't want some Joe Shmoe putting tape on my car and giving it to me. And god forbid if the Stripes tear, fade, or start to bubble after 1-2 years. Has anybody every had dealer installed stipes to their cars before? If so, can anybody give any feedback? I wish the stripes were painted under the clear coat, but I guess Chevrolet can't give us everything we wanted.

I'm sorry if there is a section for topics like this, I'm brand new to the site and haven't really looked at everything. Thanks to all who reply with anything they have or is willing to share. I'm young (24 years), and this is a very big commitment. Saving every dime I can for my dream car, LOL even dropped my cable from premium (all the channels) to basic, dropped my house phone and lowered my cell phone to basic. Everything helps!
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman1346 View Post
RS Package: I really want what comes with the RS package, not only will look "cooler" with the Halo Ring lights, but I'm assuming that it will have a better resale value with the Package installed. The only thing I dont want is for Chevrolet to replace the SS badges with the RS badges. Anybody else feel this way? Anybody know if you can still have the RS package but keep all the SS badges?
An SS with RS Package keeps the SS badging. It's just red instead of silver.

NO 'RS' appears on the SS.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
IOM is the same as on a Colorado if you wanna see it in person. EllwynX is right, SS/RS has red SS badges instead of silver ones. IOM interior is the orange seat surfaces, dash trim, etc. the silver SS show car has the IOM interior. just look for some pics of that one. they're everywhere. Sunroof comes out above the roof & deletes the 'reverse mohawk'. stripes are vinyl, not paint and do not extend past the edge of the hood.

welcome to the site. just about anything you want to know about the camaro (that's been released) you can find here. happy browsing!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Very nice. Congrats!

I need a manual trans for the trans and no afm causing the minor hp drop.

I do not know for sure, but all other afm or dod cars have quiet exhaust to hide the sound made when the engine is running on 4 out of 8 cylinders.

Imagine if you will, what a nice throaty exhaust would sound like if you pulled off 4 plug wires.

Don't take my word for it, search up afm dod exhaust sound, and Pontiac G8 GT exhaust.

Go to a dealer and LISTEN to a G8 GT.

Great car, have fun.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
zebra
just can't seem to leave

^^ yeah. the Active Fuel Management is what causes the power difference, not the transmission
Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you got a couple good responses so far.

RS package will up value and will be shown as red SS badges.

Get a Hurst 6 speed. You WON'T regret it!

Inferno orange. Go check it out. See if you like it first. You have to see it in person to like it. And, the IOM interior is pretty cool...I think you'll like it.
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
So a few weeks ago, I walked into my Chevrolet Dealership and put a down payment for a new 2010 Chevy Camaro... Now that I've registered to Camaro5.com (awesome website BTW), I've seen different pics and such and now I'm 2nd guessing myself about color, and the "add-ons" I ordered.

I ordred a 2SS with a Automatic Tranny: I have no problem driving a stick, but I can see myself getting tired of shifting. Also, the tranny kocks off 20 horses. Any opinions? The 2SS auto comes with TAP shift, which I know isnt "true" manuel, I can always use it if I need to.

Inferno Orange Metallic: I've seen so many pictures on the IOM, some looking red, some looking oragnge. The Dealership gave me print out of the available colors and the IOM they showed me was a more light orange color. For all that ordered the IOM color, what are your thoughts?

IOM interior accent package: I've seen different pictures that differ between the stiching in the black leather (Oragne Stitching) to Orange covering the seats where ever the body touches. Including the panels, shift knob, and stearing wheel. Anybody have any opintions? In my opinion I my opinion I love how the inside matches the outside, but is it too much orange for a car?

Sunroof: At first, I wanted a sunroof (I live in Florida). Now I've heard that the Sunroof will come out of the car. I hate that look on a car. Also, the pictures I've seen, the sunroof option gets rid of the "reverse mohawk" on the roof of the car. And slapping a 900 dollar feature on a 38k+ car isnt really in my budget.

Stripes: I forget the code for the stripes (sorry, this computer can't load 2 sites at once). But I want the 2 black stipes that run from the front to the rear of the car. And now I've seen that black stripes are "Dealer Installed" and not from the factory. I don't want some Joe Shmoe putting tape on my car and giving it to me. And god forbid if the Stripes tear, fade, or start to bubble after 1-2 years. Has anybody every had dealer installed stipes to their cars before? If so, can anybody give any feedback? I wish the stripes were painted under the clear coat, but I guess Chevrolet can't give us everything we wanted.

I'm sorry if there is a section for topics like this, I'm brand new to the site and haven't really looked at everything. Thanks to all who reply with anything they have or is willing to share. I'm young (24 years), and this is a very big commitment. Saving every dime I can for my dream car, LOL even dropped my cable from premium (all the channels) to basic, dropped my house phone and lowered my cell phone to basic. Everything helps!
Well, I agree with you on the stripes, wish they were painted under the clearcoat as well.. The sunroof looks like crap. It would have been better had it been the panoramic sunroof the Pontiac G6 comes with. Inferno Orange looks Reddish Orange and more red than orange in my opinion. Go see for yourself. Any Pontiac dealer has a solstice or two in that color. I plan on keeping mine for along time so I'm not worried about resale value just yet. It looks like you placed an order for what you want, and from what i've seen you won't be disappointed. However The auto with AFM that is causing HP loss will sound different than the manual which to me could be a dealbreaker.. Welcome to the site and good luck..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Inferno orange. Go check it out. See if you like it first. You have to see it in person to like it. And, the IOM interior is pretty cool...I think you'll like it.
Yep yep yep! Hurst 6 speed. That sounds pretty good...
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Haloman1346
Banned

I love banging gears just like the rest of ya guys. I can just see myself getting tired of it in the long run. This will be my only means of transportation. I can see myself getting a man trans if this was my play car.
I donno, I've never owned a vehicle with a manual tranny. Its gonna be hard to decide. =(
Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Haloman1346
Banned

Also, I've never heard a V8 with the AFM feature. Maybe I'll drive up to the Pontiac dealer and ask him to crank a G8 over just to hear it. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Congrats.

It is perfectly normal to second guess your decisions.

Most important thing to remember is... this is YOUR car, order it however you want... I sure did.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
There is a great thread on IOM running over in the spyshots section of the site. It has several pages and is a good read. I think you will love IOM.
70 COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #13
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Also, I've never heard a V8 with the AFM feature. Maybe I'll drive up to the Pontiac dealer and ask him to crank a G8 over just to hear it. Thanks for the input guys.
the only time AFM will activate is in a cruise situation or when coasting, not a big time for exhaust sounds anyway, when you are at WOT, or anytime the afm is in v8 mode(which will be at least 75% of the time) I bet it will sound just like a Manual SS. Unless you want to drag race the car I don't think you will miss the extra HP that much. probably never will unless you drive a SS manual...

Even if I got a RS/SS and got the red SS badges I would be tempted to switch them to the White SS badges, I never liked the red Badging anyway..
besides I think it would clash with the Inferno Orange...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Have you checked about insurance yet? I see you're under 25 so I think once you get the VIN number you need to see how much a year what insurance is going to cost you. I'm planning on getting IOM myself and may want you to get the std trans so if you can't make the payments I can come to Florida and take it off your hands. I make around $50K a yr and can't afford one or just refuse to pay $600 plus a month for a car. But that is just me. I only drive about 12 miles each way to work so the 2LT RS IOM may be just what I have to get. If I can't get one for around $500 a month I may drop it down to the 1LT and just get IOM color without the interior. I just want to use my head instead of my heart because the heart is telling me you only live once in life and you need the 2SS RS IOM with all the bells and whistles on it but I really can't see me doing that if I want to stay married.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

What does the hurst shifter really add? I have been told it is harder to shift, is that true. I have it ordered but was thinking about canceling it. Can you shed some light on this for me please.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
What does the hurst shifter really add? I have been told it is harder to shift, is that true. I have it ordered but was thinking about canceling it. Can you shed some light on this for me please.
Not harder to shift, but your gears are closer, less travel in the stick from gear to gear.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Had manual cars for the better part of 20 years...I'll never drive an auto again!!

While it might be nice for an auto from time to time...I always get more from the manual! Just seems a performance car should have a manual?

Order what you want though and like many have said, it's your Camaro and you are the one driving it!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Get the trans you will be most happy with. The slight drop in HP isn't worth being annoyed by the trans after the excitement wears off.

IOM on IOM might be a little too much IOM, but the color is nice so I'm not sure without seeing the combo in person. I think it will look good though.

I'd skip the sunroof unless you really like them, IMO the car looks better without it.

HID headlights are cool, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost, but your right resale will probably be better.

I'd be nervous about dealer installed stripes, but you could always have them installed at a professional shop instead. The stripes will break up all that orange quite nicely too. Don't worry about fading, I had vinyle stripes on my 4th gen and they took 7yrs to start to fade.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
On the stripes, there are some that are factory installed and some that are dealer installed. I am trying to find out if it is based on color or what, just can't find the posts right now. You should check to see if black is available from the factory. I know the white ones are and my dealer actually changed them to the factory ordered ones for me.

On the other stuff, I would go with your gut. For me, I have to have the manual. An automatic in this car just doesn't seem right (just my opinion though). My order is red and I don't think the orange interior looks right on it. However, if I was ordering IOM or black, I would definitely add the IOM interior. I also got the sunroof and opinion are mixed on it. I am sticking with it though. I think when it's open it just flows with the lines of the car and the buldge of the hood. Again, just me.

Either way, congrats on the ride!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
I love banging gears just like the rest of ya guys. I can just see myself getting tired of it in the long run. This will be my only means of transportation. I can see myself getting a man trans if this was my play car.
I donno, I've never owned a vehicle with a manual tranny. Its gonna be hard to decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legend View Post
Had manual cars for the better part of 20 years...I'll never drive an auto again!!

While it might be nice for an auto from time to time...I always get more from the manual! Just seems a performance car should have a manual?

Order what you want though and like many have said, it's your Camaro and you are the one driving it!
over the past 10 yrs i've driven 3 autos & 3 sticks on a regular basis. at times, not worrying about a clutch was nice, but over all, i'd never own an auto again if i could help it... especially in a performance car. but like everybody has said, it's your decision. i just hope my .02 helps you decide what you will be happiest with.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #21
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Haloman,
I too have been surfing the Camaro5 website for a few months now, but like you, I am new to the posting thing. Hello to all!!! I am trying to get my thoughts together as well, before placing my order. From what I've seen, there is plenty of good advice here in your thread, but ultimately, you need to make the decision for yourself. What are YOU going to be happy with for the next 20-30 years?
To comment on CamaroPete's post, the only "factory" stripes available are either the white or cyber grey rally stripes. Everything else is dealer installed. I also have my heart set on factory-installed stripes. Although, that may be a slightly irrational thought, since a dealer might even do a better job than the factory (depends on the skill of the person), but regardless, "I" want factory stripes. So, I've got to figure out what color scheme to go with white or grey stripes. And of course, I've gotta have that orange accent interior too! So maybe IOM with grey stripes? Or maybe IOM with white stripes? Or maybe even CGM with white stripes? I'm stumped too!!! Either way, make the decision for yourself and not what other folks think is right. Besides, if you order something out of the ordinary, it could become a rare combination in the future and boost up resale value and collectability. Just a thought! Good Luck
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #22
Haloman1346
Banned

Think I've made up my mind, but there is a auto show in Orlando this week and I'm hoping the Camaro will be there to really make up my mind.

Looking to buy a 2SS with a Manual Tranny, IOM with Black Stripes, IOM interior on black leather, and the RS package (hate that im going to have red SS badges). I want the metal gas cover they are offering, as well as the red with black stripe car cover (I don;t have a garage =()

Ive seen the 3 different spoilers they are offering, but only online photos. I don't know how in-depth this Auto Show will be in Orlando hope they have spoilers there. Hell, i dont even know if a Camaro will be there. But if it is I'll be sure to take as many photos as possible. Any special request? Some people have already asked for apicture of the glove compartment open, as well as a pisture of the back seat.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Think I've made up my mind, but there is a auto show in Orlando this week and I'm hoping the Camaro will be there to really make up my mind.

Looking to buy a 2SS with a Manual Tranny, IOM with Black Stripes, IOM interior on black leather, and the RS package (hate that im going to have red SS badges). I want the metal gas cover they are offering, as well as the red with black stripe car cover (I don;t have a garage =()

Ive seen the 3 different spoilers they are offering, but only online photos. I don't know how in-depth this Auto Show will be in Orlando hope they have spoilers there. Hell, i dont even know if a Camaro will be there. But if it is I'll be sure to take as many photos as possible. Any special request? Some people have already asked for apicture of the glove compartment open, as well as a pisture of the back seat.
Congrats again Haloman! Enjoy the car when you get it.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Go with the manual and nix the sunroof, it will save you about two grand. Don't worry about the stripes. Just yell at them until they fix it if they don't do a good job.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
BigTrap1967

Drives: 1969 396SS yellow w/ black str
Unhappy Inferno orange

Hello to all you camaro lovers out there.Our car is on the way!I am new to this forum stuff so please bare with me.currently i have a 2ss/rs on order i payed a 2000$ deposit to a dealer in Georgia who charged me 4,000$ over sticker.i usually would not pay over sticker for a car no matter how bad i wanted it but i couldn't pass on the chance to own one of the first camaro's out.I hope i didn't do to bad!The color that i ordered is iom with iom trim package,sunroof,and Hurst shifter.This color inferno orange has gotten me totally confused and the only help has come from you guys but i am still undecided on if a made the right choice on color.I went to all the dealerships around town and neither of them had an iom car on the lot.Last night i found a thread that had a picture of a black and orange 2008 hayabusa parked beside a Pontiac solstice and the two colors look identical.most pictures of the two looked more red than orange because of the camra or the lighting.i have a 08 busa and the color is beautiful and if this correctly represents what my camaro will look like than i will be happy if not and i end up with a tomato red car i will be totally devastated.if anyone have any information that can help please let me know before it is to late.thanks
BigTrap1967 is offline   Reply With Quote