Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
sting39

Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Smile about tires

does anybody know, if the 20" tires that you get with the RS package, are all season tires. I would like the order the RS package, but not if the tires are not all season. I am ordering a 1LT, with sunroof, cyber gray, with black interior.
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Somebody pleae correct me if I am worng, but it's my understanding that they will be summer tires.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
^You are right. all summer tires.

at least...last I heard.
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I don't believe I've ever had a car with Summer tires. Just how badly will they be for winter driving?

We don't get too much snow each season. Only maybe 1 or 2 snowstorms that aren't usually over 6" to a foot at the absolute most. That, and I live right off a main road that is kept salted/plowed. So I'm assuming I should be ok with the summer tires... right?

I doubt the cost of another set of tires (not to mention storing them) will be in the budget.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Depends on how you drive. I do just fine with them but then again I only get 1-2 snows a year and they hardly ever go over 2-3 inches.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I don't believe I've ever had a car with Summer tires. Just how badly will they be for winter driving?

We don't get too much snow each season. Only maybe 1 or 2 snowstorms that aren't usually over 6" to a foot at the absolute most. That, and I live right off a main road that is kept salted/plowed. So I'm assuming I should be ok with the summer tires... right?

I doubt the cost of another set of tires (not to mention storing them) will be in the budget.
The only real problem with summer tires comes when the temperature drops to freezing levels. The rubber compound is designed for warm weather so it becomes harder and less grippy when cold. I suppose you could do a burn out before leaving the house each day but that would only warm up the rear tires.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
The only real problem with summer tires comes when the temperature drops to freezing levels. The rubber compound is designed for warm weather so it becomes harder and less grippy when cold. I suppose you could do a burn out before leaving the house each day but that would only warm up the rear tires.
I don't know why but this made me laugh. I can just picture the neighbors with very confused looks on their faces.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I don't know why but this made me laugh. I can just picture the neighbors with very confused looks on their faces.
i'd do it

i've never had summer tires either... but then again, i've never needed them. the 'snow' here is laughable and i i usually have A/T. what would a 4x4 truck do with summer tires?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
its not just the temperature, its the air and the moisture as well that adds to it.

if you are going to store them, get some jumbo vacuum pack bags and suck all the air out of them.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Heh I recall the Kumho Ecsta MXs on my vette... if the temp was in the mid 30s it was like driving on 4 marbles....
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Just be careful. Same as any car. The driver makes a bigger difference than tires, added weight, and chains combined.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Here's a warning posted by TireRack on the Pirelli PZero Nero:
"Like all summer tires, PZero Nero tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I have the GY SuperCar F1's on my Corvette (Z51 ultra high performance summer tire). All I can say is thank god for TC and AH. I turned off the TC/AH one morning and it was real easy to get the car into a 180 spin with little effort or warning.

If you drive this car in the cold with ANY precipitation my advice is to drive like you have egg between your foot and gas pedal. Oh and Good Luck.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
What about rain? I live in "The Thunderstorm State" (the whole "Sunshine State" thing is a lie) and I'd rather not have the rear end step out on me every time I giver her a lil gas.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
Does anyone know the exact tire? The Pontiac G8's come with Bridgestone RE's summer street performance tires.... (Awesome tires...)
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
What about rain? I live in "The Thunderstorm State" (the whole "Sunshine State" thing is a lie) and I'd rather not have the rear end step out on me every time I giver her a lil gas.
Well, this is what TireRack had to say about the PZero:

Quote:
Excellent wet and dry traction along with appropriate road manners
Then again, I'd rather hear first hand on these tires as well from someone that has put some miles on them, especially in the rain.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrew View Post
Does anyone know the exact tire? The Pontiac G8's come with Bridgestone RE's summer street performance tires.... (Awesome tires...)
All of the Camaros running the 20" wheels have had Pirelli PZero tires (Not Nero, Rosso, or any other variation).

Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
Good tires!

Cool.
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Well, this is what TireRack had to say about the PZero:

Quote:
Excellent wet and dry traction along with appropriate road manners
Then again, I'd rather hear first hand on these tires as well from someone that has put some miles on them, especially in the rain.
with APPROPRIATE ROAD MANNERS.....

that means paying attention to how hard you are driving....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #19
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
If you can afford a new Camaro get the summer tires, they will make it handle great and will be a blast to drive. Then get a set of very good all-season tires for bad months. If you get alot of snow get dedicated winter tires, like Blizzak LM-25.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
can someone answer what rim that is.............I know it is a 20 but which one????
Nice close up. and that looks like IOM paint
Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico-2SS View Post
can someone answer what rim that is.............I know it is a 20 but which one????
Nice close up. and that looks like IOM paint
The one on the Victory Red car above? That's the LS7 Camaro that was at SEMA 2008. You can't order that wheel on your Camaro but I'd assume that GM Accessories will have it available at some point in the future.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #22
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Quote:
The one on the Victory Red car above? That's the LS7 Camaro that was at SEMA 2008. You can't order that wheel on your Camaro but I'd assume that GM Accessories will have it available at some point in the future.
thanks - I know it didn't look like any wheel I have seen yet on any production car.

Love how the colors change with different cameras/lighting/and flashes - i can see it is red now - opps - LOL
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #23
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Summer tires are great like many had said - make sure they are warm and sticky...
Even fresh out of the garage your tire temp can be low and "cold" for tire performancy Take a lesson form the pros and there swerving on the tracks - not that this is easy on the street. But make a few turns before you know you are going to get on her in your favorite turns....make sure the tires are good and warm and she will handle like she is on rails -

Little story - I took my SSR out one early morning in June after a cold night in MI....
got to the end of the driveway and gunned it and shot the ass end right around were I was heading - I was so embarrassed and thank god nobody saw me...who turned that traction control off?????? ..I am sure my wife would have heard it had our driveway not been 300' long. We live in a small subdivision with only 5 homes in it and everyone I think was still sleeping......

But I am older and wiser now by 4 years and have learned a lot.....funny I never had my 4thG Z28 do that - I should have kept that car. :(

But anyway summer tires are good - my car will be stored winters (Novemberish-Aprilish) Storage for those of you that don't know is just as important - make sure they are good and clean and radial tires will develope a flat spot that will come out - atleast they have for me - but I hear taking your tires off is also a good Idea - Anyone else agree???? I have not done that yet actually take them off every year - I just take it real easy the first few miles out after storage and the vibriation goes away after about 2-3 miles.

I am definetely going to look into proper cold weather storage techniques for this car as I want my kids taking it to there proms in 12 years. (With me driving) sorry kids dads rules

I might have to start that thread (Advice on cold weather storage) Don't think I am the only one in that boat. But I am not an expert by any means.
Sorry Typing out loud
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #24
Geno

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
does anybody know, if the 20" tires that you get with the RS package, are all season tires. I would like the order the RS package, but not if the tires are not all season. I am ordering a 1LT, with sunroof, cyber gray, with black interior.
Only summer tires with the RS package. I ordered it and then canceled it on my 2LT. Not sure who or why the stupid decision was made by that even if you lived in Alaska, you really need summer tires. I for one am not about to buy a car that I have to buy other tires for right away.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'd just run some slicks...

Were they testing those same tires in those shots of the IVERs in the snow? Maybe as long as you keep all the electronic nannies on, and drive very carefully, you'll be okay.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote