29 Sep, 2009
Camaro Z28 to be fitted with mighty LSA ? Primer on LSA engine.
Posted by: admin In: Main ()
Many a Camaro5 member speculate (and hope) that the new Z/28 will be shoehorned with GM’s mighty LSA supercharged V8 engine, the 550+hp engine from the tire shredding Cadillac CTS-V. We’re hoping your wishes comes true as the CTS-V’s performance has been almost universally praised by the automotive community at large. For those not familiar (or those wishing to refamiliarize) with this motor, we’ve put together a primer on the LSA engine to whet your appetites a bit for what may very well end up powering the new Camaro Z28. Here are some quick highlights:
– 6.2L supercharged small-block V8
– 556 horsepower @ 6100 rpm and 551 pound-feet of torque @ 3800 rpm
– Eaton Twin Vortices Series (TVS) superchargers
– Charge cooler integrated in the supercharger case just above the rotors, with a single air-to-liquid cooling “brick” that substantially lower the temperature of air used in the combustion process.
– Temperature of air fed to the LSA’s cylinder heads is reduced 158 degrees F (70 degrees C), substantially increasing the amount of oxygen available for the combustion process.
– Bulkheads in the LSA engine block have been strengthened 20 percent by optimizing the size of the bulkhead “windows” to take advantage of material thickness in the bulkhead.
– The pistons are aluminum-cast from a high-silicon alloy developed for its combination of strength and heat-management properties.
– LSA is the first line of small block V-8s equipped with oil-spray piston cooling
– Forged powder-metal connecting rods mate the crank with the pistons
– Click here for more LSA tech specs and discussions…
Discuss the LSA engine at the following LINK