Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Anybody taken on an SRT8 Challenger? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28980)

Sleestack 06-30-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjak (Post 636133)
So....is a super bee a SRT8 then ? I see yours in the pic, and it looks like a srt8

Yep, Super Bee = SRT8, just a limited Qty with high impact color, wheels, and dark carbon fibre interior. Same relative performance as the SRT8 Challenger.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...040005sm-1.jpg

Georgie 07-01-2009 09:33 AM

i gotta say, i saw some challenger SRT8s on the lot yesterday and they look very good. i think it is the best looking of the three. im not commenting on performance, just looks.

GatorBlue371 07-01-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgie (Post 637865)
i gotta say, i saw some challenger SRT8s on the lot yesterday and they look very good. i think it is the best looking of the three. im not commenting on performance, just looks.

They are the most 'muscle car' of the three for sure.

Still havent decided if I like the Orange or Black SRT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEN-IV (Post 635411)
The R/T 6-spd has more power than the automatic and can be much lighter than the SRT8 if you opt for the 27F package, and it's over $10,000 less. I can't understand why anyone would buy the SRT8.

The SRT 6-speed will hold its value long into the years where R/T's are common. The SRT interior is much nicer, along with the better sound and power...

But the REAL reason is the bigger HEMI is a much better engine. The 5.7L you get with the R/T is a good engine, but its nothing compared to the bigger 6.1 or whatever it is... and Im not just talking about stock power.

GEN-IV 07-02-2009 07:03 AM

Here's an interesting email that I got from a fellow drag racer:

Quote:

I just got back from driving the SRT8 with a $45k sticker price. No stick shifts on the lot, just a 5 speed auto. My impression: 1) styling great 2) ride not too harsh, rides like a touring sedan 3) very quiet, no squeaks, rattles or wind noise 4) performance………my G5 feels like it has more acceleration; the GTO is a rocket ship by comparison, very disappointing. I would guess the car is just plain too heavy. I would compare the performance to an old Dodge Charger from the 60’s with a 383 in it. Too bad, nice car otherwise, but still priced $8000 above a comparable Camaro SS.
He's waiting for his SS to be built!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 (Post 638085)
The SRT 6-speed will hold its value long into the years where R/T's are common. The SRT interior is much nicer, along with the better sound and power...

But the REAL reason is the bigger HEMI is a much better engine. The 5.7L you get with the R/T is a good engine, but its nothing compared to the bigger 6.1 or whatever it is... and Im not just talking about stock power.

Anytime you catch yourself predicting the future resale value of a car it's guaranteed that you're wrong. The future will be full of Mopar owners that didn't drive their SRT8s and Hemmings will be littered with low mileage cars competing for new owners. They won't be rare in our life time.

The 6.1L should be better than the 5.7L, for $10,000 more! Neither one can touch the LS3.

THE EVIL TW1N 07-02-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEN-IV (Post 641289)
Here's an interesting email that I got from a fellow drag racer:

He's waiting for his SS to be built!

Anytime you catch yourself predicting the future resale value of a car it's guaranteed that you're wrong. The future will be full of Mopar owners that didn't drive their SRT8s and Hemmings will be littered with low mileage cars competing for new owners. They won't be rare in our life time.

The 6.1L should be better than the 5.7L, for $10,000 more! Neither one can touch the LS3.

Actually, the 6.1 Hemi is very comparable to the LS3. They put out the same power and respond the same.

pharmd 07-02-2009 11:48 AM

Dailmer-Chrystler (sp?) did a great job with that motor...if only the tuning was more advanced they would really be cooking.

GEN-IV 07-02-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 642058)
Actually, the 6.1 Hemi is very comparable to the LS3. They put out the same power and respond the same.

They should be, several of the GM engineers went to Chrysler to work on the HEMI. Look up some of the HEMI valvetrain patents, they are from ex-GM people.

The LS3 has the best cylinder head design. The valvetrain is better and GM did their homework on reducing high RPM losses.

The HEMI engineers did a good job, but there is more work to be done, and Chrysler is years behind GM in the calibration area, there is no comparison there.

Bottom line is they are both great engines, buy them now because we won't have the large displacement engines for much longer.

THE EVIL TW1N 07-02-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEN-IV (Post 642883)
They should be, several of the GM engineers went to Chrysler to work on the HEMI. Look up some of the HEMI valvetrain patents, they are from ex-GM people.

The LS3 has the best cylinder head design. The valvetrain is better and GM did their homework on reducing high RPM losses.

The HEMI engineers did a good job, but there is more work to be done, and Chrysler is years behind GM in the calibration area, there is no comparison there.

Bottom line is they are both great engines, buy them now because we won't have the large displacement engines for much longer.

large displacement engines died a few years ago. The valvetrain may be better, but from what I have seen, the HEMI's hold their power up top after peak better. After peaking, the hp levels off some and doesn't nosedive.

len56 07-02-2009 08:34 PM

I'll destroy em all with my Veyron.

End Topic.

I wish. :P

DeathChill 07-02-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by len56 (Post 643979)
I'll destroy em all with my Veyron.

End Topic.

I wish. :P

I actually saw a Veyron in Vegas. It's a very small car in comparison to what I was imagining.

nasty2ss 07-02-2009 08:43 PM

nice cars but camaro still rules

Montrose 07-02-2009 10:33 PM

has any one put there Camaro SS on a scale yet to get the real weight not what the book says, when i first got my challenger i put it on a scale it came in at 4027 with a half tank of gas, once i got a cat back it lost about 30lbs. just wanted to know since every once keeps saying it weighs 4140, with me in my car and a half tank it comes in at 4177.

Montrose

GEN-IV 07-04-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 643126)
large displacement engines died a few years ago. The valvetrain may be better, but from what I have seen, the HEMI's hold their power up top after peak better. After peaking, the hp levels off some and doesn't nosedive.

Yes, I guess "large displacement" is relative. Anything over 5.0L seems large by today's standards. Big blocks of old are gone forever!

I'm interested in your comment about how the power rolls off on the two engines, knowing what I do about the LS-3, I would imagine it would be better than the HEMI. If you have some reliable sources, can you point to some dyno data, I would like to see the difference. Maybe the Auburn Hills gang has some tricks!

08GT500 07-04-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baughman (Post 615965)
So I'm guessing this lightning wasn't stock. Did he tell you what all was done?

Some say there is no such thing as a stock Lightning left. With a pulley swap and some bolt on's they are a low 12 truck.