Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Intake manifold (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508893)

Chris49066SS 11-11-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 (Post 10658473)
Ahhh man, so close to a dime run!! Intake seems to be working well for you though!

What all do you have for weight reduction? I have a few lbs on you, but evening that out would still put mine right at 4k race weight. Curious what the easiest way to shed a couple hundred more lbs would be

And yay procharger build! :D Mine is still probably a year away now, but looking to go centri myself!

I know, I was really hoping to get it on that last one, then the tires broke loose and it was over. My centri is probably even further out. Gotta get the fuel system established first! And ideally, the driveline, but I think I will be impatient and do that afterward. I want that boost! Lol.

So for my weight reduction, I got the car down to 3,565 lbs without driver, with:

Skinnies with bias ply M&H in front
Ran with 1/4 tank of gas

Removed:

Passenger seat
Back seats
Front crash bar
Front sway bar
Factory washer fluid bottle and lines
Air filter (remove only at track)
Exhaust system (running open headers)
Engine cover (because LOD intake)
Trunk floor/liner/air pump/styrofoam

And the ET Street R bias plys that I DIDN'T :mad2::brokenheart: get to use were 8 lbs lighter a piece (of rotational mass mind you). I used my old ET Street S/S and with heavy 17x10.5 Racestars, those are actually only 1 lb lighter than stock 20"s with a street radial.

olblue75 11-11-2019 09:17 PM

So you did the trunk floor mod and how much did it save?

Tajefe Couple 11-11-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris49066SS (Post 10658485)
I know, I was really hoping to get it on that last one, then the tires broke loose and it was over. My centri is probably even further out. Gotta get the fuel system established first! And ideally, the driveline, but I think I will be impatient and do that afterward. I want that boost! Lol.

So for my weight reduction, I got the car down to 3,565 lbs without driver, with:

Skinnies with bias ply M&H in front
Ran with 1/4 tank of gas

Removed:

Passenger seat
Back seats
Front crash bar
Front sway bar
Factory washer fluid bottle and lines
Air filter (remove only at track)
Exhaust system (running open headers)
Engine cover (because LOD intake)
Trunk floor/liner/air pump/styrofoam

And the ET Street R bias plys that I DIDN'T :mad2::brokenheart: get to use were 8 lbs lighter a piece (of rotational mass mind you). I used my old ET Street S/S and with heavy 17x10.5 Racestars, those are actually only 1 lb lighter than stock 20"s with a street radial.

Wow not as much done to lighten it up as I figured you'd have. I didn't lose that much with my rear Welds as I hoped, but I also have a slightly larger tire on the back. The front lost about 30 lbs a side with the skinnies though.
I also thought about removing my air filter like I use to back in the day. Had a couple worries though track is always horribly dirty/dusty and its tuned with my Vararam so never had the balls to try it. You probably pull more air with your intake than I would and benefit from it though.
Thanks for sharing on what you did for weight reduction. Now get that beast into the 10's next time!:thumbsup:

lazerlemonta 11-12-2019 08:21 AM

Congrats Chris!

Chris49066SS 11-12-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblue75 (Post 10658973)
So you did the trunk floor mod and how much did it save?

I didnt weigh the trunk stuff but I am guessing no more than 10-15 lbs. It just didn't seem right to keep it in there especially with all the stuff out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta (Post 10659175)
Congrats Chris!

Thanks Lazer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple (Post 10658994)
Wow not as much done to lighten it up as I figured you'd have. I didn't lose that much with my rear Welds as I hoped, but I also have a slightly larger tire on the back. The front lost about 30 lbs a side with the skinnies though.
I also thought about removing my air filter like I use to back in the day. Had a couple worries though track is always horribly dirty/dusty and its tuned with my Vararam so never had the balls to try it. You probably pull more air with your intake than I would and benefit from it though.
Thanks for sharing on what you did for weight reduction. Now get that beast into the 10's next time!:thumbsup:

I am planning on a 15" Weld with the 275 MT Pro. It seems to be a fast wheel/tire. I think I am all done for the season, so we will see when we'll see!:happy0180:

lazerlemonta 11-12-2019 07:36 PM

Still struggling to leave on any power. Car was 3340 and I was just making clean shifts not beating on the trans. Going to make a few changes for the spring. I know it’ll go bottom 10s I just have to leave hard enough.

https://youtu.be/rpGJYWbB7EY

Chris49066SS 11-12-2019 07:48 PM

It definitely picks up plenty of mph

13SSCamaro 02-04-2020 09:36 AM

This thread died. Anyone got any updates on their intakes since November?

acammer 02-20-2020 10:50 AM

I remain unconvinced that this manifold really shines with these sub 7,800rpm combos. I think the give up on the mid range hurts more than the gains on the top. With combinations to take advantage of the extreme high rpm performance of this manifold then maybe it's advantage would shine, but I think 9/10 cars that have this manifold would probably go faster with a Holley High Ram or a CID. It get a lot of credit for fitting under the hood - but I think that comes at a price...

racesloth 02-20-2020 11:37 AM

Over on LS1tech, Lazer is going back to long runner and "smaller cam." He has done the work and is making the change...

acammer 02-20-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racesloth (Post 10728577)
Over on LS1tech, Lazer is going back to long runner and "smaller cam." He has done the work and is making the change...

Yea, Phil and I chat a good bit on Facebook. I think, in a perfect world with lots of time (and hood clearance) he should have tossed a Holley high ram on his SS4 NFC setup and I suspect he may have found another tenth and a half. I'm definitely interested to see what his new combo does.

Chris49066SS 02-24-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acammer (Post 10728534)
I remain unconvinced that this manifold really shines with these sub 7,800rpm combos. I think the give up on the mid range hurts more than the gains on the top. With combinations to take advantage of the extreme high rpm performance of this manifold then maybe it's advantage would shine, but I think 9/10 cars that have this manifold would probably go faster with a Holley High Ram or a CID. It get a lot of credit for fitting under the hood - but I think that comes at a price...

That nice hump in the mid range on the dyno chart of the Hi Ram did look nice, didn't it? The LOD still beat it on peak numbers up top, but the differences in the curve shapes were interesting, Andrew. Its a shame we don't have more track data.

I tend to take note of price point, for what each of these manifolds are and do. What are your options with the Hi Ram and the CID; new hood/no hood/start cutting? Decisions, decisions. I agree, the manifold is meant for either an 8,000+ solid roller NA application, or boost. I still believe that my LOD manifold and overall build with an F1-X is going to be a very efficient combo. Looking forward to posting those results when they come to fruition eventually!

acammer 02-24-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris49066SS (Post 10731531)
That nice hump in the mid range on the dyno chart of the Hi Ram did look nice, didn't it? The LOD still beat it on peak numbers up top, but the differences in the curve shapes were interesting, Andrew. Its a shame we don't have more track data.

I tend to take note of price point, for what each of these manifolds are and do. What are your options with the Hi Ram and the CID; new hood/no hood/start cutting? Decisions, decisions. I agree, the manifold is meant for either an 8,000+ solid roller NA application, or boost. I still believe that my LOD manifold and overall build with an F1-X is going to be a very efficient combo. Looking forward to posting those results when they come to fruition eventually!

https://gwatneyperformance.com//wp-c...s-102-dyno.png

This comparison says a lot. They are within 3 peak hp, but the high ram makes more everywhere under 7400, and really stands up nicely coming up through 6000, where the LOD is a more linear build. The 5600-7600 average is 10hp and 10ft/lbs in the high ram's favor. Under 5000 the LOD really signs off, where as the high ram maintains a more reasonable fade.

But, you call out an excellent point, the high ram requires extensive PITA modifications to use on a 5th gen. The CID is even more of a PITA (and makes even more power!). And, you're dead on, I think under boost the LOD is going to shine - and it makes perfect sense for your combination. If you were staying all motor, you might have more to consider, but with boost, keeping it all under the hood, it makes good sense for you!

https://gwatneyperformance.com//wp-c...s-102-dyno.png

Tajefe Couple 02-24-2020 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the results from GPI all compiled. Got tired of paging up and down when I was looking at intakes so put them all together.