Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it the beginning of the end... again? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460769)

ZEDL1 09-12-2018 02:08 AM

I'll always be a Camaro person.
I have been since seeing my first Camaro, a 1970 2nd Gen, not knowing that it would one day be called that, driving down a street in a smaller city in northern Ontario where I grew up. I was 12 years old.

I now own two 5th Gens and love them. Amazing design, IMHO.
GM lost me when they took away the 69-inspired gills from the quarter panels with the 6th Gen styling, and also made it look so sculpted, rather than the mean, aggressive look of the 5th Gen models.
I don't strongly dislike the newer version, but I will never buy one.
I too am liking the new Mustangs, and may just add one to our garage.

I'm keeping the two 5th Gens though...

frostys 09-12-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXSSCE (Post 10308649)
The argument can be made that it's subjective, because the 5th generation had 7 years of pent-up demand & there's long been discussion that price increase is what turned potential consumers away from the 6th generation.

On top of that, while many people dislike the 6th gen look, it is not THAT far from the 5th so for non-owners, they might think they are just a refreshed car instead of a new gen.

The whole "priced so damn close to a corvette" is also an issue imo.

Snoman 09-12-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXSSCE (Post 10307945)
It's the case with almost every product manufactured... move on to the next generation of consumers. I never cared for second generation taillights on a first generation design, so when the front end became more sinister & the taillights in my opinion were corrected, I was sold.

Except, it's not the case. This is what corporate likes to portray, blame the millennial or gen-x, it's 100% complete bs. Get into the psychology of selling or graduate level marketing classes, fooling your client in order to force them to purchase product, welcome to keeping your share holders happy etc etc. In laymen terms it's simply "keeping up with the Jones'" and having the next thing on the market simply for the fact of having the latest and greatest. Except the fools buying have no clue that the latest and greatest isn't, at all, in any remote capacity, in fact it's actually worse. More short cuts, more material removed, less and less and less offered for higher profit margins. But hey, you know...marketing and FB ads...it's working, except GM stock hasn't done jack shit in 15 years. The Merc 3xx and BMO 3 series remain relatively untouched for decades, so GM claiming the need for complete body design and make over every 3-5 years is a lie.

Snoman 09-12-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostys (Post 10308797)
On top of that, while many people dislike the 6th gen look, it is not THAT far from the 5th so for non-owners, they might think they are just a refreshed car instead of a new gen.

The whole "priced so damn close to a corvette" is also an issue imo.

Simply wait 45-60 days, you can buy a Corvette for less than a 2SS Camaro @ MSRP. It's a gd joke, but fools are born every day still pulling the trigger on new Camaros.

What the general public doesn't realize is that the 6th gen also redesigned the electrical, almost from the ground up. Want an aftermarket integrated stereo? Yea, too f'n bad, GM said screw you to the public 100% and if the speakers aren't replaced properly, your CPU is bricked - or close.

GM has taken the position of ensuring the public cannot work on their own vehicle to a whole different universe. If you perform routine maintenance outside of GM, you will lose 15% trade in value because of "lost records".

gpskinzhut 09-12-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman (Post 10308814)
Simply wait 45-60 days, you can buy a Corvette for less than a 2SS Camaro @ MSRP. It's a gd joke, but fools are born every day still pulling the trigger on new Camaros.

Got my 2SS last year brand new for 38k. Haven't seen a C7 anywhere near close to that. I'm not sure what price point you're thinking they're selling at

PDXSSCE 09-12-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostys (Post 10308797)

Yes, the complaint was that it wasn't far enough removed from the previous generation. It's completely removed with the refresh & people are up in arms. Damned if they do & damned if they don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman (Post 10308803)
Except, it's not the case. This is what corporate likes to portray, blame the millennial or gen-x, it's 100% complete bs. Get into the psychology of selling or graduate level marketing classes, fooling your client in order to force them to purchase product, welcome to keeping your share holders happy etc etc. In laymen terms it's simply "keeping up with the Jones'" and having the next thing on the market simply for the fact of having the latest and greatest. Except the fools buying have no clue that the latest and greatest isn't, at all, in any remote capacity, in fact it's actually worse. More short cuts, more material removed, less and less and less offered for higher profit margins. But hey, you know...marketing and FB ads...it's working, except GM stock hasn't done jack shit in 15 years. The Merc 3xx and BMO 3 series remain relatively untouched for decades, so GM claiming the need for complete body design and make over every 3-5 years is a lie.

Consumers still drive demand. The younger generation wants it sooner & fresher, so corporations must follow suit.
I don't know what Mercedes-Benz & BMW models you've been seeing, but they've drastically changed in the last decade.

qcman 09-12-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXSSCE (Post 10308926)
Consumers still drive demand. The younger generation wants it sooner & fresher, so corporations must follow suit.
I don't know what Mercedes-Benz & BMW models you've been seeing, but they've drastically changed in the last decade.

The problem is the younger generation doesn't care about cars overall especially muscle cars. They are more focused on using Uber these days if anything.

I think the folks that really longed for a Camaro like some of us older folks have already bought theirs and are keeping them a long time too. I'll buy a Mustang GT long before I ever consider a 6th Gen Camaro. It looks way better to me too.

rontammy0 09-12-2018 11:58 AM

Just look around.....the younger gen is buying smaller cars that good gas mileage and perform pretty good stock or with a few boltons. Subarus....Hondas......Mitsubishi to name a few are the cars you see them driving. They simply are not interested in a v8 rwd muscle car even the 6 or 4. Im not saying all..but from what I see ...most.

PDXSSCE 09-12-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcman (Post 10308933)
The problem is the younger generation doesn't care about cars overall especially muscle cars. They are more focused on using Uber these days if anything.

If someone isn't into cars, there's an argument to be made for preferring Uber & Lyft in urban areas. There's no cost of purchasing a vehicle, no cost of fuel, no cost of maintenance, no cost of insurance, no inconvenience of finding parking, no parking fees. Annually, using those services cost a few cents on the dollar by comparison & they come to you when you want/need them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rontammy0 (Post 10308991)
Just look around.....the younger gen is buying smaller cars that good gas mileage and perform pretty good stock or with a few boltons. Subarus....Hondas......Mitsubishi to name a few are the cars you see them driving. They simply are not interested in a v8 rwd muscle car even the 6 or 4. Im not saying all..but from what I see ...most.

I think you mean Subarus, Hondas & Toyotas... Mitsubishi wishes it still had that following. :)

qcman 09-12-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXSSCE (Post 10309005)
If someone isn't into cars, there's an argument to be made for preferring Uber & Lyft in urban areas. There's no cost of purchasing a vehicle, no cost of fuel, no cost of maintenance, no cost of insurance, no inconvenience of finding parking, no parking fees. Annually, using those services cost a few cents on the dollar by comparison & they come to you when you want/need them.

I agree with you I'm just saying cars are no where near as important to young folks these days as they are to us old dogs.... My 26 year old son has a 2009 Cobalt that he hopes will last a long time as he says he just just doesn't want to waste any more money to have a newer one. I think that's pretty smart in comparison to what I've spent to have a weekend warrior I really don't even need at all.:doh: So I think the Camaro is in trouble due to lack of young people's interest in cars and us current Camaro owners who generally don't like the current styling and/or current prices.

PDXSSCE 09-12-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcman (Post 10309022)
I agree with you I'm just saying cars are no where near as important to young folks these days as they are to us old dogs.... My 26 year old son has a 2009 Cobalt that he hopes will last a long time as he says he just just doesn't want to waste any more money to have a newer one. I think that's pretty smart in comparison to what I've spent to have a weekend warrior I really don't even need at all. So I think the Camaro is in trouble due to lack of young people's interest in cars and us current Camaro owners who generally don't like the current styling and/or current prices.

My nephew is 19 years old & didn't get his license until last year - out of necessity. This year, his father & I were excited about him getting his first car, but he said, "I only want to get from point A to point B." He purchased a 5 year old Accord. :frown:

fhrex 09-12-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcman (Post 10309022)
I agree with you I'm just saying cars are no where near as important to young folks these days as they are to us old dogs.... My 26 year old son has a 2009 Cobalt that he hopes will last a long time as he says he just just doesn't want to waste any more money to have a newer one. I think that's pretty smart in comparison to what I've spent to have a weekend warrior I really don't even need at all.:doh: So I think the Camaro is in trouble due to lack of young people's interest in cars and us current Camaro owners who generally don't like the current styling and/or current prices.

Agreed. My youngest son has never cared about his cars and my eldest, a little more, but still nowhere close to my care to my vehicles.

Ryan20131LE 09-12-2018 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first car was a 69, and always loved that style. I loved the Gen5 when it came out and knew I'd own one some day. I think the Gen6 1LE/Z28/ZL1 look incredible, and would love to own it for the track...….but something about this Gen5 styling makes me not want to part with it. Just looks too good and mean.

qcman 09-12-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhrex (Post 10309072)
Agreed. My youngest son has never cared about his cars and my eldest, a little more, but still nowhere close to my care to my vehicles.

Thx yeah I think the Camaro needs to stay desirable to the sort of folks who may actually buy one. No matter how cool it ever looks or is our kids will never even put it on the radar as a possible choice when they only want a generic and cheap daily driver.

If it wasn't for the gray hairs the vette may have been gone a long time ago...:bonk: