Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Speedster's SST Camaro Build Thread [COTW 9/13/10] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88877)

speedster 07-17-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Emma (Post 2107064)

Getting warmer...:D Wow, that's a BIG one !!!

GTAHVIT 07-17-2010 10:25 PM

Aren't you on vacation?

speedster 07-17-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2110808)
Aren't you on vacation?

Yep. Having a ball up here in the 1000 Islands. Crystal clear water, fishing, tubing, wakeboarding, saw a huge wooden boat show today (Dragoneye would be drooling). Drove right next to two ships passing. Going over to Canada tomorrow. Taking ferry boats across and will take the 1000 Islands Bridge back. We really enjoy this place... :D

Hope you are having fun in FLA...:)

speedster 07-17-2010 11:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so I've been a little remiss in not posting due to vacation-itis...

Here is some of the suspension components chosen for their particular ability to support getting the power to the track.

First pic is of the Spohn suspension components. These were ordered with the optional Del-Sphere pivot joints on each end where possible. Basically these are chromoly spherical inners and outers, but with a thin delrin bushing material in between. These will not allow deflection in the rear suspension under launch but at the same time provide zero resistance to rotational motion which allows for max weight transfer at the track.

Second pic is of the drag coil overs we ended up choosing for the SST. These things are beyond beefy - large, solid, all chromoly components. These will hold up under the hardest of wheelstands. Springs are guaranteed to be within 2% tolerance for life, which is why we can trade spring rates for no additional cost. These coilovers have independent rebound and compression settings to adjust for varying track conditions.

Third pic is of the suspension goodies. The orange pieces in the middle are the Pfadt solid engine mounts. Pfadt also provided their solid rear subframe mounts that will be shown later. Nothing but the best from Pfadt. :)

speedster 07-17-2010 11:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more drivetrain goodies.

First pic - since this is a one-off drivetrain, items had to be made from scratch. The NRE guys fabbed up an awesome chromoly crossmember. This crossmember has an integrated driveshaft safety loop (not yet welded on until the driveshaft/rearend is finalized). Note how they made the crossmember follow the base contour of the transmission pan. These are car guys doing what they love. Incredible attention to detail.

Second pic - The undercarriage. The LSX motor, billet converter, 4L85E tranny and exhaust system. The downtubes from the turbos connect right in just like a factory system. The exhaust is a very straighforward 3" stainless with virtually no resistance. Also if you look very carefully the new stainless steel fuel lines have NOT been run yet-sorry the old ones are still there. We will post a pic when that has been completed.

LC 07-17-2010 11:40 PM

I have a question, I kinda feel why you did but I will still ask it..

If you were going for such project why not a WHITE body?

speedster 07-17-2010 11:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Last set of pics for tonight.

Since the SST needs to first and foremost be a street car, certain "items" need to be kept hidden when not in use. One of these is the parachute. When running at speeds greater than 150 mph in the 1/4 mile or 180 mph at the Maxton Mile a parachute is required. So we had to come up with a good way to mount one where no one would know most of the time. We found a location where it could be tied in to the frame and structural integrity of the rollcage, so that was done. Originally I had asked if we could just use a Class 3 receiver hitch but that was frowned on, so the fabrication guys went to work and made reinforcement plates and a tubular chromoly receiver for the chute mount.

The coolest part about this is that you can drive the car to the track, pop off the license plate, stick the chute pack on the back, make your runs, yank the chute pack back off, put the plate back on and drive home. Pretty neat... :D

First Pic - What the chute mount looks like with the license plate removed. This mount is rock solid in linear pull, as well as vertical and horizontal sheer strength.

Second Pic - This give you an idea of how beefy the mounting is. It is integrated directly in to the SST's structure.

Third Pic - the mount minus the actual chute pack. Looks like the SST has a tail... :facepalm:

speedster 07-17-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC (Post 2111163)
I have a question, I kinda feel why you did but I will still ask it..

If you were going for such project why not a WHITE body?

Two reasons - it "kind of evolved" but more than that, the BIW was not available yet and could not be pre-ordered. The SST was ordered first thing in October 2008.

Very valid questions though.

But it will work out in the long run since I am giving the original L99/6L80E combination to a very deserving individual, so that is a neat thing too... makes it worth it.

LC 07-18-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 2111228)
Two reasons - it "kind of evolved" but more than that, the BIW was not available yet and could not be pre-ordered. The SST was ordered first thing in October 2008.

Very valid questions though.

But it will work out in the long run since I am giving the original L99/6L80E combination to a very deserving individual, so that is a neat thing too... makes it worth it.

fair enough :clap:

thespymaster 07-18-2010 07:57 AM

I can't wait to see / watch this beast hit the track.........

Great work!

navyflyer72 07-18-2010 08:00 AM

I just want to get first dibs on any custom parts that you decide not to use because you are "taking that area to the next level" since you have pretty much done that with EVERY aspect of this build! :laugh:

Seriously though, loving this build as much as I loved watching a Charlie Lillard built The Mule. Can't wait to maybe one day see this beast in person! Great work, you're keeping us entertained, intrigued and enlightened. (We should pitch this build to the Discovery Channel for a show!):thumbup::popcorn:

Mr Twisty 07-18-2010 09:25 AM

BIW can't be titled either, so it would have been a coin flip every time he hit the street.

speedster 07-18-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespymaster (Post 2111917)
I can't wait to see / watch this beast hit the track.........

Great work!

Thanks K. It will be great to hang out and cruise with you Jax members...:sm0:

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyflyer72 (Post 2111924)
I just want to get first dibs on any custom parts that you decide not to use because you are "taking that area to the next level" since you have pretty much done that with EVERY aspect of this build! :laugh: Well Thank You and there are parts that are already making the rounds in the C5 community. ;)

Seriously though, loving this build as much as I loved watching a Charlie Lillard built The Mule. Can't wait to maybe one day see this beast in person! Great work, you're keeping us entertained, intrigued and enlightened. (We should pitch this build to the Discovery Channel for a show!):thumbup::popcorn:

Well, I'm glad it is entertaining. Funny you mention Charlie. At the HRPT (Hot Rod Power Tour) which is where the first pic in this thread of the concept was taken, I saw the Mule and spoke with Charlie about it. He was really nice. That car is still the benchmark for modern PT cars. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 2112086)
BIW can't be titled either, so it would have been a coin flip every time he hit the street.

Ah, very valid point. Forgot about not able to be titled. That wouldn't work. Something about a Black 2010 Camaro being registered as a 1987 Chevy Blazer probably would not fly...:facepalm:

Mr Twisty 07-18-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedster (Post 2106656)

Ah, very valid point. Forgot about not able to be titled. That wouldn't work. Something about a Black 2010 Camaro being registered as a 1987 Chevy Blazer probably would not fly...:facepalm:

Used to be able to get away with that stuff, I once had a 69 Camaro with engine from a 64 Impala, got rebuilders title that said "1964 Camaro" :facepalm: