Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Does the v6 have enough power? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35329)

Evilangel 08-02-2009 01:38 PM

It really depends on you - the driver, everyone is different. I recently rented a 1lt from Avis(you may want to do the same). The v6 is a quick and fun car, but it depends if you're stepping up from like a family sedan or SUV or if you already own a quick car it may not be as impressive to you. I would HIGHLY recommend a test drive prior to making your final decision.

JesseJames 08-02-2009 01:39 PM

For as young as the OP is... He will saves tons going with the V6 now, and upgrading when he is 25.

Evilangel 08-02-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseJames (Post 749808)
For as young as the OP is... He will saves tons going with the V6 now, and upgrading when he is 25.

Good point, I imagine you are referring to the insurance rates?

JesseJames 08-02-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilangel (Post 749829)
Good point, I imagine you are referring to the insurance rates?

Yes, and even the pennies with gas. Money saved will help him with a used/new SS with mods with a lower ins after the age of 25. I cant remember his age but remember reading his post awhile ago ( was it in the ibm thread) and the impression left was that he is still a young one.

The low end tq from V8s can be addicting ( some people hate it...noticably they where all women) and its definately missing from the LT/LS. Ontheotherhand, i've realized i drive more responsibly from take offs. The low end torque brings out the devil in many driver..including me. The LT/RS does need a little more tq for a proper fit ( 20's).

ckaram 08-02-2009 07:15 PM

It goes zero to 60 in 6 seconds and runs a mid-14 quarter mile. What did you guys think you were buying? If you wanted the torque of the SS, you needed to buy the SS.

pinkcamaro10 08-02-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 749783)
For the non-muscle car fans I am sure the v6 has enough..it's an excellent cross over vehicle in that aspect

oh really?? so i must not be a muscle car fan since i drive a v6?

come on.:rolleyes:

scrming 08-02-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewelZ (Post 748872)
It's more the driver son. But it will not compare to the v8. I on the other hand think its more than enough, especially out of a v6. You have to think about it a new mustang gt only packs about 315hp vs the 2010 Camaro which is packing a whoppin' 304hp!

Yep, you definitely can't compare it to a V8... Yes, while the V6 Camaro make a 304 HP it only makes 273 ft/lbs of torque compared to the Mustang GT's 325 ftlbs!!!

scrming 08-02-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseJames (Post 749856)
Yes, and even the pennies with gas. Money saved will help him with a used/new SS with mods with a lower ins after the age of 25. I cant remember his age but remember reading his post awhile ago ( was it in the ibm thread) and the impression left was that he is still a young one.

The low end tq from V8s can be addicting ( some people hate it...noticably they where all women) and its definately missing from the LT/LS. Ontheotherhand, i've realized i drive more responsibly from take offs. The low end torque brings out the devil in many driver..including me. The LT/RS does need a little more tq for a proper fit ( 20's).

Think with a littler rear gear change, it would definitely make for a little more fun... with the 6 speed, i wonder how much fun 4.10s would be! LOL!

1320junkie 08-03-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 (Post 750701)
oh really?? so i must not be a muscle car fan since i drive a v6?

come on.:rolleyes:

Where we going?

Thrillz 08-03-2009 10:06 AM

If guys have plans of tuning the snot out of this motor so they can race it with the big dogs stop torturing yourself get the V8 and be done with it. If u just want a cool looking car with a bit of kick that use's cheap gas and lower costs over-all then you have the right car for you. Just have realistic goals about the V6. Its an amazing motor for a V6 but there are a ton of cars more faster and powerful then it.

theholycow 08-03-2009 10:39 AM

Have you considered the manual transmission?

radz28 08-03-2009 10:46 AM

IMHO - if you're starting with a car that is only a few ticks slower than LT1 cars were from the days of yore, I don't feel that's a bad thing one bit. It should be all about what you want, and not what others think. Obviously, that plays a little role (otherwise - why do many people spend so much time and money going faster and looking better ;) ) but if you like how the car felt, and it fits your needs, then go for it, IMHO. If you have no intention on having a little safe fun at the occational stoplight, and don't plan on going to a track, and just want a great car that runs really good, then get the V6. It's less expensive and you can equip it, trim-wise, with everything the SS has.

IMHO - get what's going to fit you, and no one else. It's your $$$.

scrming 08-03-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrillz (Post 752364)
If guys have plans of tuning the snot out of this motor so they can race it with the big dogs stop torturing yourself get the V8 and be done with it. If u just want a cool looking car with a bit of kick that use's cheap gas and lower costs over-all then you have the right car for you. Just have realistic goals about the V6. Its an amazing motor for a V6 but there are a ton of cars more faster and powerful then it.

and there are a ton of cars that are a lot faster and powerful than the SS...... so what's your point?

Fire 08-03-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 752720)
and there are a ton of cars that are a lot faster and powerful than the SS...... so what's your point?

And... for the money, what's much quicker than the V6 at it's price, and also for the V8, at it's? Pound for pound for nearly the last 20 years the Camaro has offered some of, if not THE most, hp per dollar than anything on earth. In fact that was definitely the truth of the 4th gen V8 cars. Now it can certainly be said for any trim of the Camaro today.