Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Torq's latest Whipple Supercharger build, big power inside! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124705)

zr1gary 01-20-2011 08:36 AM

One reason I went with Whipple too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks (Post 2748376)
If God asked you which one do you want as Lotto wining, a $2.3M or $2.9M, which one would you select? ;)

:blackvertshift:

:D

94guy 01-20-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 2748250)
Why a Whipple and not a Magnuson or ProCharger.

Won't be whipping up anything in my SS anytime soon. I'll leave that for the stanger' dudes. LOL

Erik@Torq 01-20-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

A few reasons! First, the customer requested it which is one quite important reason. The Whipple is also 2.9L vs. 2.3L for the Magnusson, and more street friendly compared to the Procharger. The Procharger is an awesome system and makes sick power, but the torque down low that you get with a positive displacement blower is just insane. The customer never races the car and it is pure street car and he really likes this style blower.

We have installed them all, Whipple, Magnusson, Vortech, Kenne Bell etc and each one has it's benefits! We will be doing another Whipple next week and after that a 2.8L Liquid Cooled Kenne Bell with a cam is on the schedule!

Thanks guys, we are also very happy with the outcome!

/Erik

Erik@Torq 01-20-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

If God asked you which one do you want as Lotto wining, a $2.3M or $2.9M, which one would you select? ;)

Haha that's funny :D

blufin 01-20-2011 07:43 PM

Great build guys. Very impressive.

03ss 01-20-2011 08:54 PM

Pictures Look great! I also like the rear black out panel. So what is the Peak boost you see with the Whipple? Curious how the long tubes and big 3 inch exhaust affected the boost. What power it put down with the Whipple tune?

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

We have done a lot of Maggy setups and wanted to try the whipple as we use them almost exclusively on our Ford builds. Amazing quality, amazing fit and finish including hoses, fittings, etc are top notch. It is a bigger, more efficient blower.

Why we did not go with a Centrifugal blower - Simple. A roots/twin screw is way more fun for a street car.

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03ss (Post 2751495)
Pictures Look great! I also like the rear black out panel. So what is the Peak boost you see with the Whipple? Curious how the long tubes and big 3 inch exhaust affected the boost. What power it put down with the Whipple tune?

Peak boost we saw, with the cut airbox (per Whipple's instructions) was a tick under 9psi. We typically do not see much of a pressure drop with the 1 7/8" headers and 3" exhaust.

Torq Dyno Results with Whipple Tune:

VEHICLE: 2010 6.2L
Manual Boost PSI: 8.7psi
Average AF: 11.9:1
RPM Limit: Stock
Exhaust: Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tubes w/ Catted X and MBRP Catback
Fuel: 93 octane
Temperature: 76.31° F
Barometric PSI: 29.98 In-Hg
Humidity: 45%
Hood: Open
SC RW SAE HP: 531
SC RW SAE TRQ: 487
Stock RW SAE HP: 355
Stock RW SAE TRQ: 342

We test every product we sell and provide our honest feedback. After installing Whipple's 2.9L supercharger on our customers 2010 Camaro SS with Whipple's tune we picked up a fantastic 177RWHP and 145RWTQ but were concerned with the amount of Knock Retard we were seeing both on the street and in our controlled dyno room.

We reset the ECM back to a factory stock calibration and began the calibration process. The final results with less timing and zero KR and a safer air fuel ratio were amazing. We picked up an additional 45RWHP and 23RWTQ! In addition to the WOT power and torque increases our tune provides additional throttle response and improved fuel economy and drive-ability.

calbert1999 01-21-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Hahaha..... that's obvious, but 2.3 or 2.9 get a different pulley or cog unit to produce more boost depending on your application. So, a 2.3 maggie or any procharger would have most likely been adequate.

For example to produce the numbers on this setup, they used almost 9psi., there are numerous setups using 6psi. with a ProCharger and getting same results.

So, if we were talking $, I'd say 2.9, but we're talking SC's so 2.3 or 2.9 probably not making much of a difference unless you engine has been heavily modified, and in that case you'd probably want a ProCharger F-1 or higher.

calbert1999 01-21-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik@Torq (Post 2749051)
A few reasons! First, the customer requested it which is one quite important reason. The Whipple is also 2.9L vs. 2.3L for the Magnusson, and more street friendly compared to the Procharger. The Procharger is an awesome system and makes sick power, but the torque down low that you get with a positive displacement blower is just insane. The customer never races the car and it is pure street car and he really likes this style blower.

We have installed them all, Whipple, Magnusson, Vortech, Kenne Bell etc and each one has it's benefits! We will be doing another Whipple next week and after that a 2.8L Liquid Cooled Kenne Bell with a cam is on the schedule!

Thanks guys, we are also very happy with the outcome!

/Erik

That's what I'm planning as well (SC with my blower cam) but I'm leaning towards the ProCharger D-1SC, I've seen a HO P-1 system, with stock fuel pump making 640rwhp / 450 - 560rwtq on 6psi., and a custom tune.

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 2753451)
Hahaha..... that's obvious, but 2.3 or 2.9 get a different pulley or cog unit to produce more boost depending on your application. So, a 2.3 maggie or any procharger would have most likely been adequate.

For example to produce the numbers on this setup, they used almost 9psi., there are numerous setups using 6psi. with a ProCharger and getting same results.

So, if we were talking $, I'd say 2.9, but we're talking SC's so 2.3 or 2.9 probably not making much of a difference unless you engine has been heavily modified, and in that case you'd probably want a ProCharger F-1 or higher.

We compared a Maggy at the same boost level and same exhaust and the Whipple made about 27rwhp more with cooler IAT's.

radz28 01-21-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister@Torq (Post 2754332)
We compared a Maggy at the same boost level and same exhaust and the Whipple made about 27rwhp more with cooler IAT's.

Were both tuned, or using canned tunes, and did one run with the OEM airbox or otherwise?

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 2753527)
That's what I'm planning as well (SC with my blower cam) but I'm leaning towards the ProCharger D-1SC, I've seen a HO P-1 system, with stock fuel pump making 640rwhp / 450 - 560rwtq on 6psi., and a custom tune.

A couple of things to consider:
1. Our Mustang Dyno reads lower than what most are showing, which is on a dynojet. We know 575rwhp on our machine is 610rwhp on a dynojet.

2. We just finished a Maggy at 8.5psi with our blower cam and it made 610rwhp/540rwtq. On a dynojet this would be about 630-640rwhp and like 570rwtq.

3. Stock fuel pump is good to about 560rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Fuel pressure will start to drop hard making AFR uncontrollable not allowing a tuner to hit target afr

4. A Maggy/Whipple will make way more power and torque under the curve so if there is traction that car will be faster. It is quite simple. A car that accelerates faster will be faster
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7456199_n.jpg

Look at the graph below 4500. Above 4500 the procharger fell on it's face because it was 130F in the shop and IAT's were through the roof on the procharger setup

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 2754346)
Were both tuned, or using canned tunes, and did one run with the OEM airbox or otherwise?

Both were custom tuned on our dyno. The maggy had a K&N and the procharger had the procharger inlet.

The reason I mentioned do not look above 4500 is that the spark really started to drop off on the procharger car with the super high temps.