Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   A 2010 Camaro Vs Charger R/T/Daytona (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38629)

big hammer 08-23-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo (Post 831431)
Have they got that worked out for the new ones? I am planning on ordering in december or so, don't want a dog.

i think they have it worked out--- gm knows there is a problem with earlier models but wont admit it. word is later builds are running a different tune from factory. by december you should have nothing to worry about.

or just get an m6--- they're way better anyway.

joelster 08-23-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big hammer (Post 833330)
i think they have it worked out--- gm knows there is a problem with earlier models but wont admit it. word is later builds are running a different tune from factory. by december you should have nothing to worry about.

If you plan on going crazy with the motor/tranny for the track, the auto is the way to go. A simple tweak of the tune fixes the lazy shifting, and the pistons are already fly-cut for running a big cam right from the factory. They have just cracked the surface of what the auto's are capable of.

bluman 08-23-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH (Post 829138)
I don't know much about cars like many experienced owners

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodimus prime (Post 829595)
:search: Seriously not to be a jag, but this has probably been asked about 1,201 times this week. Then when people actually do search for it they are going to have to weed thru 1,201 threads....96% of which are garbage.

:mad0259:

give the guy a break, he has only posted 12 times !

Wacker 08-23-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelster (Post 833393)
If you plan on going crazy with the motor/tranny for the track, the auto is the way to go. A simple tweak of the tune fixes the lazy shifting, and the pistons are already fly-cut for running a big cam right from the factory. They have just cracked the surface of what the auto's are capable of.

Totally agree. I think the autos have more room to work with from stock. The fastest cars I've seen so far are slightly modded A6's. I believe the fastest is an auto with a tune and a shot of juice, 11.54 I think.

pharmd 08-23-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacker (Post 832361)
My friend Mike at New Era Performance Parts ran his box-stock. It ran a 13.38 at 104. He installed his over-the-radiator cold air kit, a set of headers, and did a tune on the pcm mainly fixing the shift calibrations. He went out and ran a 12.60 at 109. Those 3 mods are still with the stock restrictive cat-back on it. Since then he has installed a VVT cam and a new exhaust but he doesn't have track times yet. Here's a small clip of the car now with the cam:

The car comes stock with a VVT cam, do you know which after market cam he installed?

He and another vendor are working feverishly to get some hi-po VVT cams to market. Stay tuned, Mike is on to something for the auto's, be it good or bad, I think he is close to figuring some stuff out. Stay tuned.

9c1ny 08-23-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacker (Post 832361)
My friend Mike at New Era Performance Parts ran his box-stock. It ran a 13.38 at 104. He installed his over-the-radiator cold air kit, a set of headers, and did a tune on the pcm mainly fixing the shift calibrations. He went out and ran a 12.60 at 109. Those 3 mods are still with the stock restrictive cat-back on it. Since then he has installed a VVT cam and a new exhaust but he doesn't have track times yet. Here's a small clip of the car now with the cam:

The car comes stock with a VVT cam, do you know which after market cam he installed?

I believe he actually trapped 111mph on the 12.6 run

Kurt_OH 08-23-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelster (Post 833393)

LS3 heads are used in LS9 ('vette 638hp S/C, and in CTS-V), along with normally aspirated crate engines up to the CT525 circle track race engine.

LS3 crank is used in crate engines up to the CT525.

LS3 cam, while clearly superior to L99 cam, is not used in more advanced engines. This is one spot where LS3 offers tremendous opportunity. Cam + CAI + exhaust could easily net 100hp.

L99 does NOT use the same cam, crank or head as the LS3. Modding it WILL make it better, but until you yank the heads/cam, it won't have the same output, and even then, the crank's strength is still a question.

Wacker 08-23-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt_OH (Post 834486)
LS3 heads are used in LS9 ('vette 638hp S/C, and in CTS-V), along with normally aspirated crate engines up to the CT525 circle track race engine.

LS3 crank is used in crate engines up to the CT525.

LS3 cam, while clearly superior to L99 cam, is not used in more advanced engines. This is one spot where LS3 offers tremendous opportunity. Cam + CAI + exhaust could easily net 100hp.

L99 does NOT use the same cam, crank or head as the LS3. Modding it WILL make it better, but until you yank the heads/cam, it won't have the same output, and even then, the crank's strength is still a question.

Interesting...What is your source? I thought the heads were the same.

Kamaro4437 08-23-2009 04:55 PM

This is clearly going to turn into a thread of people arguing over saying my standard is better than your auto. Some people dont want to drive around and shift all the time. Some people do. In drag racing an automatic is actually the better unit to have for consistency i mean cmon i dont think we have any pro career drag racers so racing straight up is kind of out really unless just for fun. A good consistent automatic is going to be the best bet in bracket racing. However in the standards defense you can leave at whatever rpm you want to leave at. You would need a stall for the auto. But a driver being able to shift the same everytime uh no. The main reason the standard cars put out more horsepower theres no secret sauce about the engines better. Its plain facts the standard takes less horsepower to turn it than the auto does. So just buy what you like and want both are great cars. Just buy what ya like.:thumbup:

Scrappy Doo 08-23-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big hammer (Post 833330)

Thanks. I am still getting an auto though. :D

Wacker 08-23-2009 06:16 PM

Good choice. With a tune you will love it:happyanim:

Kurt_OH 08-23-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamaro4437 (Post 834570)
This is clearly going to turn into a thread of people arguing over saying my standard is better than your auto. Some people dont want to drive around and shift all the time. Some people do. In drag racing an automatic is actually the better unit to have for consistency i mean cmon i dont think we have any pro career drag racers so racing straight up is kind of out really unless just for fun. A good consistent automatic is going to be the best bet in bracket racing. However in the standards defense you can leave at whatever rpm you want to leave at. You would need a stall for the auto. But a driver being able to shift the same everytime uh no. The main reason the standard cars put out more horsepower theres no secret sauce about the engines better. Its plain facts the standard takes less horsepower to turn it than the auto does. So just buy what you like and want both are great cars. Just buy what ya like.:thumbup:

Who is talking about bracket racing?

The standard turns the faster times, because it has BOTH a better motor AND more efficient transmission.

Kurt_OH 08-23-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacker (Post 834542)
Interesting...What is your source? I thought the heads were the same.

Source: 2009 GM Performance Parts Catalog

engine head-P/N cam-P/N crank-P/N
L99 12629064 12623066 12588612
LS3 12615879 12603844 12597569

Buy what ya like? Sure.

But know what you're getting. The LS3 is a superior motor, from crank to cam to head.

Tachometer 08-23-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo (Post 834677)
Thanks. I am still getting an auto though. :D

An automatic is nice when you get trapped in stop N go traffic!

Gotta Love It!:thumbup: