Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question for the "it has to be a v8" folks... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397803)

Splitter 02-27-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96CamaroSS (Post 8261868)
That's classified.

:sorry: :lol:

I4toV8 02-27-2015 11:28 AM

if it comes with v6 twis i see a lsx swap soon! :D

KMPrenger 02-27-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 (Post 8261832)
For me, absolutely it has to be a V8....because that is why I fell in love with the car as a kid. Replacing it with a V6 would just cheapen it in my eyes. Even the days of a Grand National style V6 is gone, as everything is all about fuel economy and quiet, uber quiet driving.

Is there room for a twin turbo V6? Sure. Should it replace the V8? No.

And as for the Ford GT...its going to fail just like the last one did....because it will be priced too high and not worth a crap compared to its competitors....

Sorry bud, but I can't just let you get away with this one. :)

First....apparently you haven't heard any driving videos of the ATS-V with the LF4 TTV6. Its far from a headers/cammed V8, but its also far from "uber quiet driving". It has an aggressive exhaust with some growl....but yes it doesn't have deep rumble that a V8 can. We all know this, but it sounds much much better than some cheap sounding fart can V6 exhaust also. Also, not every V8 sounds great stock. The PP exhaust on the Camaro sounds sweet, but a stock L99 doesn't sound much better (until you are hard on it) than my modified V6 in my opinion.

Next "is there room for a turbo V6?" Currently with the LT1 expecting to go into the 6th gen I say no...there isn't. At least NOT the LF3/LF4. Those TTV6 engine would only step on the toes of the LT1, offering basically the same performance and the same gas mileage at the same, or higher cost. So no...it doesn't make sense until the V8 is gone.

On the other hand, if GM was to offer the rumored 3.0 TT V6, and offer it with say 350HP and 350 TQ as a step between the base 4 cylinder, and the V8. Then I'd say YES...there is certainly room. The n/a V6 would have to go away though as it would no longer make sense. By the way...I'd go for this option in a heart beat!!!

Lastly....not sure why you assume the Ford GT will be a massive fail??????

10 Silver Bullet 02-27-2015 11:36 AM

Gotta be a V8, Camaro's are iconic cars don't see them putting the SS or Z28 on the back burner anytime soon, Mustang sells have suffered I think there trying to reach out to another demographic to try to boost sales!

Notorious Bob 02-27-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coy (Post 8261874)
Put that Fifth Gen V6 against any LS1 Fourth Gen (stock for stock). All it will see is taillights, outputs being what they are.

What does that have to do with the price of fish? :iono:

Sven59 02-27-2015 11:37 AM

LT5

lbls1 02-27-2015 11:44 AM

I will not buy another Camaro with the demise of the V8 if it happens. A new camaro represents(ed) a special time, and a turning point for me. Its a special day when I can buy a new camaro that still harkens back to earlier days of its heritage with potent v8 engines and that unmistakable v8 rumble.

When the day comes when the experience of a v8 in a camaro ends, then I will either retire and enjoy my current cars or look to buy a corvette or a truck.

KMPrenger 02-27-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coy (Post 8261874)
Put that Fifth Gen V6 against any LS1 Fourth Gen (stock for stock). All it will see is taillights, outputs being what they are. Hope that doesn't come across as being aggressive, as that is not my intent. 01-02 being "vintage" makes me feel old.:lol:

As for the thread, I wouldn't own a Camaro that is not a V8, but I can appreciate the power and engineering that would go into a theoretical 600hp V6 Turbo Camaro.

Yep your right...4th gen SS will definitely outgun a current V6. doesn't help that the newer V6 is much heavier, and also has a less aggressive gearing ratio.

I think the next gen Camaro V6, with less weight, hopefully a performance pack option with a lower gear ratio, and a bit more HP will bring the two a bit closer together.

But the car still won't be as light as a 4th gen...otherwise I'd say it would be a pretty close race, with the torque advantage going to the LS1.

LOBBS 02-27-2015 11:46 AM

Honestly, I'd rather see them retire the Camaro and Corvette nameplates if/when emissions regulations push the V8 out of the realm of possibility. You can make your TTV6 all day long just don't call it a Camaro or a Vette.

gajagfan 02-27-2015 11:51 AM

There will be a V8 gen 6 Camaro. That being said, I would not hesitate to buy the turbo V6 if it offered the most performance I could get for the money I could afford to spend.

jbird76 02-27-2015 11:53 AM

I don't know how you would call it a muscle car, any more than a honda civic modded out to high HP a muscle car. What makes a muscle car a muscle car?

The original muscle car idea was Pontiac taking the a-body Tempest and adding the 389 from larger cars to get a better HP to weight ratio for speed- the concept was displacement. I don't see how a smaller displacement but turbo'd v6 would be a muscle car, it's more on the lines of tuner or something at that point- IMO. Doesn't mean it's a bad car, but maybe a bad idea to open the "muscle car" term so loosely.

KaBoom1701 02-27-2015 12:05 PM

I think a TT V6 should be offered as a "performance" option for those buyers who don't want to go the V8 route....

350-400hp range would be nice.

gajagfan 02-27-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbird76 (Post 8261933)
I don't know how you would call it a muscle car, any more than a honda civic modded out to high HP a muscle car. What makes a muscle car a muscle car?

The original muscle car idea was Pontiac taking the a-body Tempest and adding the 389 from larger cars to get a better HP to weight ratio for speed- the concept was displacement. I don't see how a smaller displacement but turbo'd v6 would be a muscle car, it's more on the lines of tuner or something at that point- IMO. Doesn't mean it's a bad car, but maybe a bad idea to open the "muscle car" term so loosely.

I don't think the Z/28's of old, nor the 1LE's and Z/28's of now are muscle cars. To me a muscle car is car like our '69 BBC camaro. A boat load of power stuffed in a chassis that dies not handle (turn, stop, etc) very well. A great straight line car. That was exactly what I wanted as a teenager. It is not what I want now and I don't car what you cal a high powered car that handles.

Stecky 02-27-2015 12:15 PM

My son has a V6. Its ok
I also have a V10 in my truck.

Nothing sounds like a V8

And if they can get 600 HP from a V6, just imagine the HP that the V8 is capable of. (More than 600)