Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Do you think GM missed the ball my making the z/28 a track only car? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285506)

MR 45TH 03-29-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolFan66 (Post 6353446)
GM could throw the Z/28 name plate on the ZL1 and these guys would still cry about how they can't have one..

I always get a kick out of these forums when someone post an opinion based question and when certain people dont agree with what others say they are said to be complaining and whining :happy0180:

Richy_Rich 03-29-2013 11:03 AM

So CHEVY basically merged these 3 concepts...

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2010-camaro_ssx_concept/

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-camaro_ls7_concept/

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-camaro_gs_racecar_concept/

LWM 03-29-2013 11:36 AM

Time will tell the story! GM did not build this car....without considering the market demand. Very interesting ....to bring the Z 28 out as a track purpose car only.....when so many were expecting a street/track auto. There must be more coming down the line to satisfy the masses!

KSCamaro 03-29-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LWM (Post 6353984)
Time will tell the story! GM did not build this car....without considering the market demand. Very interesting ....to bring the Z 28 out as a track purpose car only.....when so many were expecting a street/track auto. There must be more coming down the line to satisfy the masses!

Wait a few more years. Next up, the Camaro Rally Sport !
I don't mean a RS badge, it'll have big huge RALLY SPORT badges on the car.
Made just for World Rally Championship racing, it'll be AWD, upgraded suspension, but lighter to compete with the MINI, Ford Focus, etc. No A/C, radio, etc but you do get use of a navigator to read maps and tell you where you are for 3 months after purchase. For the low price of 80K, you can try to drive it to work. The only catch is, it wasn't made for asphalt. Good luck.
:smiling1:

Lazerbrainz2k3 03-29-2013 12:00 PM

I'm sure this has been said before in the thread, but I'll say it anyway.

As impressed as I am with the Z/28's power, I'm disappointed in how they're pricing it. I'm fine with GM creating a very expensive, minimalist, barely street-legal track superstar Camaro, but let it be a regular production version of their COPO, not a Z/28. That name should be reserved for something designed to go up against the Boss 302, and although the Z/28 certainly achieves that performance-wise, the Boss is a WAY better deal for far more buyers - and is still a dammed fine track machine capable of feats beyond the skill of many buyers of either car.

For all the people on here who are hardcore believers in sticking to the heritage of the Camaro like it's Holy Writ, I'm surprised how the glare of a mighty LS7 has blinded them to the part of that heritage where the Z/28 was supposed to be a great track/enthusiast car as well as halfway affordable, and even sort of livable as a daily driver. This Z/28 does one of those things very well, but the others very poorly. I'm sure GM could have figured out a way to get the others in there too while keeping the price around $50k - again, competitive with the Boss - but they didn't, and it's a shame.

I also fear that having the Z/28 as top-dog will interfere with upgrading the ZL1 to keep up with the GT500 as Ford inevitably upgrades that.

35th02ss 03-29-2013 12:17 PM

Look people this is getting just plan stupid....The Z/28 is not competing against the ZL1 for sales. That would be like saying the SS is competing against the V-6 cars....

Plan and simple stop bitching about the cost. I can't afford one either and I'm not complaining. Would I like to have one dam right.

If you cant find a car to drive in the current line up then you need to look somewhere else. Maybe Honda or Toyota makes a nice car for you...

I mean come on.

My 8 month old son whines less then you people........

Russo 03-29-2013 12:36 PM

if it was me, I would have not done the 1LE and instead had the z28 replace that option with the same equipment plus a ls7... make it a $7-10k option like the Laguna Seca Boss and there's your superior answer to the Mustang...

35th02ss 03-29-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russo (Post 6354263)
if it was me, I would have not done the 1LE and instead had the z28 replace that option with the same equipment plus a ls7... make it a $7-10k option like the Laguna Seca Boss and there's your superior answer to the Mustang...

It would be more like 20k option. The LS7 is 15K then add the 3-4k for the 1LE package. Which puts it in the ZL1 price range

LikaRokBowTie 03-29-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 6346611)
After reading a few posts - I simply came here to respond to a couple of them because I realized that too many people don't understand what the original intent of the Z/28 really was.......:

go back and read the history of WHY the Z28 was introduced in the first place.

Don't 'guess' and don't try to 'interpret' - because some of us were actually around back then! (I didn't mean that as a shot -- but.......)

Tidbit: the 1967 Z28 didn't have Z28 anywhere on the car - it was simply an option code (RPO) that essentially said: "This is the car we're building to compete in SCCA's Trans Am racing series. All others beware!" It was not meant to be a daily driver - and this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods.

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.

Sorry that some of you don't like that.....but we have to make hard decisions and I stand behind this Z/28 'til the cows come home.

I don't like to be this abrupt - but I'm operating on very little sleep - it's been a long week -- and frankly my patience is running a bit thin with people who don't understand what a Z/28 really is meant to be........

(....oh - and for those of you who are nay-sayers? I wish you could have heard the remarks about the new Z/28 - people at the unveil were blown away.......)

:clap2::clap2::clap2::bow::bow:

Russo 03-29-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35th02ss (Post 6354323)
It would be more like 20k option. The LS7 is 15K then add the 3-4k for the 1LE package. Which puts it in the ZL1 price range

you're referring to catalog pricing which doesn't reflect factory pricing..

Mikes SS 03-29-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35th02ss (Post 6354323)

so you'd rather them make a car that is more expensive than the ZL1?

2cnd chance 03-29-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 6354095)
I'm sure this has been said before in the thread, but I'll say it anyway.

As impressed as I am with the Z/28's power, I'm disappointed in how they're pricing it. I'm fine with GM creating a very expensive, minimalist, barely street-legal track superstar Camaro, but let it be a regular production version of their COPO, not a Z/28. That name should be reserved for something designed to go up against the Boss 302, and although the Z/28 certainly achieves that performance-wise, the Boss is a WAY better deal for far more buyers - and is still a dammed fine track machine capable of feats beyond the skill of many buyers of either car.

For all the people on here who are hardcore believers in sticking to the heritage of the Camaro like it's Holy Writ, I'm surprised how the glare of a mighty LS7 has blinded them to the part of that heritage where the Z/28 was supposed to be a great track/enthusiast car as well as halfway affordable, and even sort of livable as a daily driver. This Z/28 does one of those things very well, but the others very poorly. I'm sure GM could have figured out a way to get the others in there too while keeping the price around $50k - again, competitive with the Boss - but they didn't, and it's a shame.

I also fear that having the Z/28 as top-dog will interfere with upgrading the ZL1 to keep up with the GT500 as Ford inevitably upgrades that.

buy the 1LE

Angrybird 12 03-29-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS 376 (Post 6353567)
If everyone finds something else to play with, Chevy would be out of business...:bonk:

What I mean is if that is not the toy for you find another toy....
Chevy has plenty of toys in its toy box to play with. You don't have to go anywhere else....

Stingray23 03-29-2013 04:09 PM

So lets break it down. You basically have 2 schools of thought.
-the guys that know and understand what the Z/28 badge REALLY means and the ones that just want a badge. The beauty is that there is a camaro for everyone! I think the new Z/28 is perfect. I dont get caught up on badges like a lot here. The point of the Z/28 badge was racing, not showing off. Its the guys that never had a real Z/28 or understand the history of the Z/28 that are bitching because they just want to say they have a Z/28 like they did in high school.
For all the complainers/posers, you can still buy the Z/28 badge at your local Chevy dealer and put it all over your car if it will make you feel "cool"