Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Does the v6 have enough power? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35329)

Emig5m 04-22-2012 12:19 PM

Does the v6 have enough power?

Does the v6 have enough power? Here's my take coming off a 2004 SVT Lightning with a supercharged V8 that has 450ft/lbs torque stock and also driving my bosses modded Stang GT with 500+ horsepower that's also supercharged (he's easily beating stock GT500's) and also test driving the V8 Camaro with stick...

If you're buying the car more towards a weekend play toy, something that's going be more driven mainly on the weekends to toy around with the power and left in the garage during the week, the big torquey v8 with a manual stick is definitely the way to go. The big power and torquey V8 with a stick is fun to toy around with! So the answer for this is no, the V6 isn't enough power.

Now if you're buying the car more on the lines of commuting back and forth to work (I drive 45 minutes one way to work) and to use it as a daily driver, then yea, the V6 with an automatic is perfect. When I test drove it initially I was turned off by the lack of torque coming off the Lightning with it's monster 450ft/lbs of torque, but the car was just so comfortable and relaxing to drive, and so much cheaper overall to own, and buying as a daily driver when I already had one V8 hot rod to toy around with, the V6 Camaro just made more sense in every way.

So IMO, it all greatly depends on what you're going for. If you want to drive it as a playtoy- V8 for sure (and a true race car freak wont be happy with any stock V8 anyway, every true gear head I know personally mods their stock V8 muscle cars). But if you're buying to commute back and forth to work everyday as a daily driver but want something more flashy and better looking than a economy car, the V6 Camaro is the perfect choice IMO. Initially I had the hots for a SS, but after test driving all of them and doing the math, for a daily driver, the V6 just made so much more sense in every way. Coming off of driving supercharged V8's, I'm very happy with my V6 Camaro purchase. I love driving it and I'm very comfortable in it and it looks great doing it (RS package)! :headbang: Even my co-worker said on the test drive that I looked very comfortable in it like I've been driving it for years.... I love it! The V6 works out perfect for how I'm going to be driving the car...

Rangore 04-22-2012 12:25 PM

Necro-thread...OP was years ago. :)

BTW...welcome to the forums Emig5m. I see your first post is the one above.

Emig5m 04-22-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangore (Post 4846822)
Necro-thread...OP was years ago. :)

BTW...welcome to the forums Emig5m. I see your first post is the one above.

^Thanks for the welcome. ;) Yea I know the thread is old but I always try to gather as much info on a purchase before buying so when I started considering the V6 I started reading up on it and found this thread. Also, since normally I would buy V8's and have driven ones with 500+ horsepower, I wanted give my opinion on how I thought the V6 is still a great car depending on how you plan to drive it and in case someone else new like me pops around it doesn't hurt to get more opinions to help other people make decisions.

My cousin stopped in yesterday afternoon and was like- "Please tell me you didn't just get a non-SS RS". When I explained what I bought it for (commuting, daily driving, and that I already had a muscle toy V8 I was free to play with/mod/etc... and leave home and save gas and everything he totally understood my point of view.)

But if you're buying for a play toy, definitely gotta have a V8 stick! They're fun!! :headbang: But me anymore, even the Lightning all I do is dog around with it, I just wanna put it in drive, kick back and cruise.... mellow, lol. But I like having a nice looking eye catching vehicle. The V6 with the RS package fit the bill perfectly! :thumbup:

11 Camaro IBM 04-22-2012 02:27 PM

It feels so different when you mod it up tune, Vararm, portted throttle body, RX isolator

KMPrenger 04-22-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11 Camaro IBM (Post 4847241)
It feels so different when you mod it up tune, Vararm, portted throttle body, RX isolator

Agreed. I'm not gonna compare it to a 500+ HP mustang of course, but my V6 is my nice day only car and it sure does make me happy :cool:

Kmorpheus 04-22-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrillz (Post 752364)
If guys have plans of tuning the snot out of this motor so they can race it with the big dogs stop torturing yourself get the V8 and be done with it. If u just want a cool looking car with a bit of kick that use's cheap gas and lower costs over-all then you have the right car for you. Just have realistic goals about the V6. Its an amazing motor for a V6 but there are a ton of cars more faster and powerful then it.

I don't care what car you have, there always is another car that is better or faster. Buy the car you wnat and spend whatever you want to make it more your own.

formare 04-23-2012 12:02 AM

"enough power" for what purpose? It has enough power to kill you, but not so much that it feels like its trying to kill you.

It's faster than 98 percent of the cars on the road. The question really is does it have enough power for your purpose.

My v6 does - but I'm sad my version was only offered in v6, I would have opted for the v8 if available.

SIXJAK 04-23-2012 01:39 AM

I've picked off a few GT's and older Z28's and a GTO with my mods. I love the looney V6 exhaust note and it's pretty fun to drive. About to get a whole lot funner.

rock1962 04-23-2012 06:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ryf...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xQL...e_gdata_player

I think it is fast enough here is a good comparison to a V8 probably catch hell from somebody I'm thinking challenger owner.

Abstrak 04-23-2012 08:06 PM

My girlfriend grips the door and screams babe!!!!! OMG!!!! slow down super loud every time I get on it lol. So yea It does

cmcghee559 04-24-2012 12:01 PM

Speed Quesion???

I can assure you that the six can get as many tickets as the big bad 8 and the up front cost is such that you can afford to pay them with the savings:sm0:

BowtieBelle 04-24-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcghee559 (Post 4857600)
I can assure you that the six can get as many tickets as the big bad 8 and the up front cost is such that you can afford to pay them with the savings:sm0:

:word::bellyroll:

Holy old thread, Batman!

Rangore 04-24-2012 09:46 PM

I love my Camaro!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackswan 08-29-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Fast4U2010 (Post 749049)
I have a black 2SS RS package, My budy at work as a 6 speed RS, both ours came off the truck 2 months ago. I finally got to drive his car I wanted to see what all the bad talk was on the V6.

Wow plenty of power, any one would be proud to drive and own it.

Just remember"Drive what you can afford" and do not keep up with the JONES.

Good luck, let me know when you get it.

This.