Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How cool would this have looked if there weren't holes behind the emblem?! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69714)

IROCanSS 03-08-2010 01:06 PM

Looks stupid. Sorry, its a chevy not a fantasy robot.

cdigiovanni 03-08-2010 01:11 PM

holes are a quick fix can be more the $400 bucks to get then patched...

Revo1 03-08-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueSS (Post 1560938)
So when one gets more cooler, does it freeze?

:sm0:

hrpiii 03-08-2010 02:06 PM

I see a majority of the people using the rear bowtie as a 'handle' when closing the trunk. They don't grab the top of the trunk, they use the bowtie and slam the trunk closed. Maybe that's why it's attached the way it is.

slick rick 03-08-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 1561901)
I see a majority of the people using the rear bowtie as a 'handle' when closing the trunk. They don't grab the top of the trunk, they use the bowtie and slam the trunk closed. Maybe that's why it's attached the way it is.

Makes sense, I would think over time the bowtie would slowly start moving down if it it wasn't "locked" in place. :popcorn:

Number 3 03-08-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 1560807)
Sorry but I am siding with the OP here. Most badges are placed onto cars using "positioning plates" and they certainly could have been used here. They are used to place the "SS" or "RS" emblems on the trunklid as well as the "camaro" emblem on the front fenders as there are no holes behind them.

Yes, you need to be sure that the bowtie is not installed upside down but there are other ways of ensuring that.

Ok if you want more details, here goes.

First most of the emblems aren't this size and what most people forget is that there are a great number of people that don't want to touch the paint so, and I find myself doing this as well, grab the top edge of the bow tie to close the decklid.

So with the size of the emblem, compounded by it on a panel that slams (and yes I recognize that other much smaller emblems are also on decklids, just not this big) and the fact that some customers will put force on the emblem when closing makes one want to have some added robustness.

Take a super hot Phoenix day and see if the double side tape on any emblem doesn't feel just a little bit looser to you?

As I said, it's ok not to like it. But there are reasons for it and I am hoping people will quit calling GM "stupid" or "failed" for things they don't fully understand.

Could it have been taped on? Sure. But then I'd be answering a post on why when they pull the decklid closed their bow tie fell off.;)

Revo1 03-08-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klatterblast (Post 1561206)
Sorry but i was talking about the nagative remarks about the camaro in general like it being called a failboat but im sure he was joking i hope, not cool being i paid $42,000 for a faiboat. and i do like modding and i like the autobot emblems i have posted before on where to get them cheap and they are nice aluminum emblems i bought there aluminum ss's. it sucks that the autobot emblem does not cover the holes maybe they can make a wider emblem i would call someone to fab one up. heres a link to where to get them cheap;http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...81#post1560181

Could I have been any more sarcastic? :iono:

Hylton 03-08-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 1562062)
Ok if you want more details, here goes.

First most of the emblems aren't this size and what most people forget is that there are a great number of people that don't want to touch the paint so, and I find myself doing this as well, grab the top edge of the bow tie to close the decklid.

So with the size of the emblem, compounded by it on a panel that slams (and yes I recognize that other much smaller emblems are also on decklids, just not this big) and the fact that some customers will put force on the emblem when closing makes one want to have some added robustness.

Take a super hot Phoenix day and see if the double side tape on any emblem doesn't feel just a little bit looser to you?

As I said, it's ok not to like it. But there are reasons for it and I am hoping people will quit calling GM "stupid" or "failed" for things they don't fully understand.

Could it have been taped on? Sure. But then I'd be answering a post on why when they pull the decklid closed their bow tie fell off.;)

Come on - it's not really a handle is it? Sure doesn't feel like one. When are you putting one on the hood so that people won't damage the paint when they close it? ;)

RCLapCar 03-08-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 1561901)

I use mine as a handle to close the trunk.

Number 3 03-09-2010 06:05 AM

Ok, I never said it was a handle. Jeeze guys.

The biggest reason is probably that the Bow Tie MUST be properly located. The Bow Tie is placed across a feature line. This means the decklid and the Bow Tie both have an angled surface if you locate the Bow Tie even 1 mm to the right or left the double sided tape will only be wet out on one side.

So if it is not properly wet out then it won't be attached robustly and grabbing it when you close the trunk or slamming it hard or sitting in the hot sun would all be detrimental.

Yes, if it were a flat surface, the Bow Tie would probably not have to have holes.

I was merely trying to point out that there are reason(s) why the holes are there and just because it makes a desirable mod harder to do doesn't make it stupid. It was actually, like most of the Camaro, pretty well thought out.

You guys know I get all wound up when someone says something that GM did was stupid.

Trailbreaker77 03-09-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix (Post 1560417)
I have been searching endlessly to remove the rear bowtie and replace it with something more cooler.

I jumped at this idea I stumbled across and did some quick photoshops to debadged and put the emblem on. The largest emblem I can find is aluminium and 3"x3"

BTW the pictured emblem is not to scale! This is the size it would need to be to cover the holes.

http://www.uddin.kamloops.net/Camaro/silv3a.jpg

Really pissed cos I dont think it will cover the holes.

GRRRRR!!! GM what were you thinking putting those stupid holes there WHY!!!

2 holes to ENSURE the bowties are straight, were they drinking on the job!!!!

GOD!!!!!!!!

I did something very close to this I will post some pictures later this week when I get my car back.

Jetreid 03-09-2010 10:10 PM

Personaly I like the LED Bow tie that ACC made. you could tie it into the brake lines and make it a 4th brake light....or have it on all the time. Ether way it looks awesome!!

Hylton 07-23-2010 07:57 PM

Good news (for buyers of future Camaros), these holes are about to be elliminated. There was concern that these holes could cause future water issues and as a result, they are no longer going to exist. The Chevy bowtie will be adapted to fit the change.

BackinBlackSS/RS 07-23-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 2135385)
Good news (for buyers of future Camaros), these holes are about to be elliminated. There was concern that these holes could cause future water issues and as a result, they are no longer going to exist. The Chevy bowtie will be adapted to fit the change.

They are already gone. :thumbsup: We have had one or two owners de-badge their 2011's and there are no holes underneath. :)