Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Underage Camaro Drivers Poll (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41509)

zebra 09-08-2009 08:54 PM

there are idiot drivers in every age category - not to say teens don't make up a good portion of that. as long as you act responsibly & treat the car with respect, you should do fine. i also learned that people care for and respect things they acquire on their own much more than things given them

zebra 09-08-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfgun (Post 899345)
Previous post in regards to the SS. The younger folks have fun with a V6 A6!

that also depends on experience & maturity. i was driving RWD v8 manuals when i was 11.

ahart04 09-08-2009 09:09 PM

you cant be mad at a kid if his parents give him a car.

i 100% agree he will not treat it the same because he didn't earn it. thats life. thats natural.

but you cant say someone who has a free gift is a spoiled brat. thats just not fair, because you have no idea.

i didnt vote, but i'm pretty much with irpq11 on this one.

gold5000000 09-08-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS (Post 898771)
I only look down upon it if mommy & daddy or grandma buys it for them and it's a free ride. Basically it makes them equal to being a spoiled brat. If the underage person driving it is paying the payments or the majority of the monthly payemnts from the job they work then there's nothing wrong with it. You should have to earn what you have.

thats the way i do it and have been doing it for 8 years now and i'm only 16. This is how i plan on getting mine and it really pisses me off when people get brand new cars just given to them :mad0260:

Rocky918 09-08-2009 09:23 PM

most 16 year olds are not responsible enough to hand a powerful car like this... maybe you are... but the statistics speak for themselves ...

tommygun6644 09-08-2009 09:26 PM

If your 16 years old, having the car will make you look like a spoiled brat instead of "cool" or whatever.

In all honesty, even if I HAD the money to get this when I was 16, I would have gotten something else cheaper and saved the money for something else nicer when I was a bit older. If I were you, I'd get an older Camaro or something for now. But I doubt there is any talking you out of it.

CWI 09-08-2009 09:38 PM

Since the OP is getting a LT I don't object. However I think that is more than enough power for anyone still in their teens. I had a big block Camaro when I was 17-18 years old that was quicker than my 2010. I honestly look back and wonder how I survived. I had a lot of fun and took a lot of chances i would not do now. Back in those days there were about a 1/4 of the amount of traffic on the roads compared to today. So considering the volume of traffic on today's roads and the power of each, LT, OK. SS no. Some of you will say speed is as much a factor as power. That is partly true. Most cars on the road today will easily do 100 mph. However, people die every day in 30 mph crashes.

halo8hkk 09-08-2009 09:44 PM

if u pay for it i respect that. but if it was just handed to u from Mommy and Daddy. i frown on it. i don't believe u truly respect something unless u work for it. but that's just me.

All-Or-Nothing 09-09-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS (Post 898771)
I only look down upon it if mommy & daddy or grandma buys it for them and it's a free ride. Basically it makes them equal to being a spoiled brat. If the underage person driving it is paying the payments or the majority of the monthly payemnts from the job they work then there's nothing wrong with it. You should have to earn what you have.

Sounds like jealousy to me

All-Or-Nothing 09-09-2009 02:03 AM

Paying for a car does not make someone more responsible or more careful. Take a look at wreckedexotics.com and tell me different.

firestone_ss 09-09-2009 12:14 PM

having a 16 year old and a 13 year old ill tell from my point of view.i want my kids to learn to drive FIRST,not be too busy looking good,that means i want them to learn how to take a corner in a parking lot without hitting the curb and damaing a wheel or tire,i want them to learn what its like to have to matain a vehicle and pay for thier own insurance,if you hand kids 2010 cars your not helping them grow and become adults,there gonna bang there first cars up plenty,weve all been there its part of the learning process,huge difference in wanting a new car and needing a new car,my kids will get the beater cavalier to drive and still have to pay for there own insurance.thats how we roll at my house.:D

PQ 09-09-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 898956)
If you are legal age to drive which is 16 you are not underage. Some peoples financial situations are different and you can noot automatically assume that he is some spoiled kid since his or if his parents are buying him a car...we don't know the deal that was made nor how he was raised....I got a Corvette when I was 16..sane kid and a responsible adult now...any car can get you in trouble...

:word:

Very good point. We all get different APRs and deals. If a kid can negotiate a good deal with Mom and Dad then it's all good. BUT, Statistics don't lie. I posted one that I can't remember off hand but it was to the tune of 18 and under drivers make up like 6% of all drivers in the US but are responsible for like 19% of all fatalities. Just be careful. Junkie, you just had the sense and skills and responsibilities to be fine. (though I bet you got 'sideways' a few times lol)

cdn111 09-09-2009 12:40 PM

I dont think it matters. It's all about how the kid is raised that make him/her a brat. I got a brand new 99 2dr tahoe sport for my first vehicle and I took excellent care of it. I also had two SS camaros before I graduated high school. Never wrecked either one of them or got a ticket. I guess I was raised well and new how to take care of things whether or not I paid for them. I was always taught to take better care of other people's stuff then my own, but that's just my $.02

On edit. I did hit a dog that ran out in front of me in my 01 SS A4, but it was the dog or a two foot curb so I took the dog. then went around the block and removed said dog out of road so it would not get ran over more.

All-Or-Nothing 09-09-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firestone_ss (Post 901586)
having a 16 year old and a 13 year old ill tell from my point of view.i want my kids to learn to drive FIRST,not be too busy looking good,that means i want them to learn how to take a corner in a parking lot without hitting the curb and damaing a wheel or tire,i want them to learn what its like to have to matain a vehicle and pay for thier own insurance,if you hand kids 2010 cars your not helping them grow and become adults,there gonna bang there first cars up plenty,weve all been there its part of the learning process,huge difference in wanting a new car and needing a new car,my kids will get the beater cavalier to drive and still have to pay for there own insurance.thats how we roll at my house.:D

Bought my daughter a 2007 M3 vert at 17. She pays her own insurance, schedules her services at the dealer and is a very responsible driver. She keeps it clean and has bought her first set of rims with her own money. Weird considering the way I drive. She has had straight A's from grade school, given us no problems and will go very far in life.

It all depends on the kid.

My son won't be getting a new car for various reasons.:paddle: