Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   NO AUTO CMON (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128427)

kmcd 02-10-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangeruss (Post 2825040)
This forum is full of opinions, and I just gave mine. I consider the Corvette a sports car. It has two seats, and isn't the best car for a daily driver. It is lighter and has better handling than a Camaro.
As I said, if I purchased a Corvette it would be a standard, but I wouldn't drive it every day.

Muscle cars generally have a back seat, and became popular as weekend drag racers. My very first car was a Camaro, and no one ever called it a sports car. They don't with this one either.
While some may argue that the Camaro can handle well (with an upgraded suspension), and that a Corvette is good at the 1/4 mile track, I think it's pretty obvious that these are two very different vehicles that fall into separate categories.

Well said. :thumbsup:

blufin 02-10-2011 05:24 PM

This is how I see it; If they offered the ZL1 in auto trans only, I would still buy it. I wouldn't let the fact that it is only offered as an M6 keep me from getting one. M6 FTW.

Kyle2k 02-10-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blufin (Post 2825223)
This is how I see it; If they offered the ZL1 in auto trans only, I would still buy it. I wouldn't let the fact that it is only offered as an M6 keep me from getting one. M6 FTW.

Exactly my point - don't let subjective choices influence other people's ability to get what THEY want as well.

Z4me 02-10-2011 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=SUX2BU;2824882]So according to your logic if Ford & Chevy offered auto GT500s and Z06/ZR1s they could double their sales?

I can't speak for Ford and thier following, and as far as the Corvette esp the ZR1 that's for a more limited marketed crowd. At 115K each its a differant group of buyers who have deep pockets.

As far as how I estimated a possible 50% sales increase by introducing an automatic transmission as an option. Well about oh a couple weeks ago I asked forum readers here what they were currently driving. To my surprise at least half of the readers responded to this thread and indicated they were driving an automatic. Many gave very understandable explainations as to why they were driving an automatic and not a manual. Based on that feedback I believe that Chevy would be shooting themselves in the foot if this option was not included with this car. They already stated that this car will not be a limited production car and that they will try and fill as many purchase orders as possible.
As far as me personally I have not decided which way I'm going to go as far as the transmission is concerned, but I believe it should be an option to those who would like to have it.

SUX2BU 02-10-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blufin (Post 2825223)

If i was in the market for one, it being auto would be a deal breaker for me.

heavyt100 02-10-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2825258)

And that's why there should be a choice. Some folks wants sticks, others automatics.

Why shouldn't there be both?

Dangeruss 02-10-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

And if they'd announced it as only an auto, I would've made the same statement in regards to no 6 speed offering. It's about having a choice. I personally won't lose sleep as I won't be buying one, but I'm just stating what I think would be a smarter choice for GM. The fact that the GT500 doesn't have an auto is even more reason to offer the option.

I'm guessing it will probably happen at some point anyway.

heavyt100 02-10-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangeruss (Post 2825280)
The fact that the GT500 doesn't have an auto is even more reason to offer the option.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

SUX2BU 02-10-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangeruss (Post 2825236)
It may not always be the best source, but in this case the definition is very accurate. Which part do you think is wrong? :popcorn:

Didn't say that specific definition was wrong, but I'll play along.

How about the "affordable" part. I don't know how deep most people's pockets are around here but to the average Joe owning a brand new Corvette is a fantasy dream car at $49K. This "affordable" Camaro will more than likely be about $50K. Like i said your bank roll may be completely different than mine but no way in hell i would call a $50k car affordable.

Blue Menace 02-10-2011 06:00 PM

I must say I'm quite tired of the machismo regarding driving a stick. I will say that I can drive stick and have owned a vehicle that was a standard...and drove it for 4 years. However, have you folks that bash the autos ever had knee surgery? I have, on both knees. I had ACL surgery on my left knee (that's you're clutch-using leg, for those keeping score) in high school. If that's not enough, I'll most likely be having surgery on my left knee AGAIN to fix torn cartilage and a piece of sheared-off bone that is currently floating around causing my LEFT LEG to lock up. Am I still a ***** cause I want an auto? Talk to me after your first knee surgery...

Dangeruss 02-10-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2825299)

How about the "affordable" part. I don't know how deep most people's pockets are around here but to the average Joe owning a brand new Corvette is a fantasy dream car at $49K. This "affordable" Camaro will more than likely be about $50K. Like i said your bank roll may be completely different than mine but no way in hell i would call a $50k car affordable.

The 1SS is in the low 30s, which is just a little more than a loaded Honda Accord. The ZL1 is the extreme of the modern Camaro line, and hasn't existed in decades. I'm sure if they had huge Brembo brakes and magnetic suspensions in the 60s the ZL1 would've been quite a bit more.

Considering the ZL1 (muscle car) will most likely be less than half the price of the ZR1 (sports car), that makes this car much more "affordable".

Mr. Wyndham 02-10-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2825299)

It will likely pack a little stronger punch than the CTS-V...and we can reasonably assume for $12k less....I'd say that qualifies, if not 'affordable', than a value. The philosophy of Chevy.

Another tidbit worth noting...most Corvette buyers are stretching their dollars as far as they'll go to buy one. Most are NOT rich old men in a mid-life crisis. That's the primary reason sales tanked the past two years.

You won't see a ZL1 on every corner...but for what it is...Dang!!!

kmcd 02-10-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 2825906)
:laughabove: Curb feelers and Viking orgies? Good grief... going just a bit overboard with the tangential metaphors, are we?

"Tangential metaphors": I must say, I like that. I'm writing it down for future reference. :thumbsup:

KarFan 02-11-2011 04:14 AM

The Camaro, Vette and Mustang are not made for the masses like Malibu or Fusion, And the target market drops even more when they build special models like Z06, ZR1, ZL1, GT500, Cobra, Cobra R, Ford GT or Viper. It's not being insensitive but they know the small demographic they sell to and it's just business.

scritchy 02-11-2011 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Menace (Post 2825377)
I must say I'm quite tired of the machismo regarding driving a stick. I will say that I can drive stick and have owned a vehicle that was a standard...and drove it for 4 years. However, have you folks that bash the autos ever had knee surgery? I have, on both knees. I had ACL surgery on my left knee (that's you're clutch-using leg, for those keeping score) in high school. If that's not enough, I'll most likely be having surgery on my left knee AGAIN to fix torn cartilage and a piece of sheared-off bone that is currently floating around causing my LEFT LEG to lock up. Am I still a ***** cause I want an auto? Talk to me after your first knee surgery...

Knee issues suck. Two surgeries on both knees so far, and a series of five injections in each knee twice a year. Now I'm just waiting until the Doc decides that my knees have fallen apart to the point of replacement being the only option. Fun times! So, I'm driving automatics until my knees get replaced and oddly enough, that doesn't bother me in the least.

It makes me laugh that people are still naive enough to generalize drivers based on their transmission. My grandmother is somewhere north of 80 years old and drives a manual (Mustang - clearly they are granny cars).

Heliwrench 02-11-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 2828198)
GM will sell it in only manual tranny just fine, because the auto guys will just buy manuals who want one. Know why? Becasue we can.

This whole thread has made me laugh, PQ your comments are great. I'd just like to point out that I do know a lot of auto drivers who are terrified of stick... I'm sure they could learn it easy enough... they just don't want to.

The trend these days seems to be moving to the auto. Forums 4 years ago would have had this argument and had 70-30 stick-auto drivers... now it's looking 30-70.

I can easily see why manufacturers are moving this way... us stick drivers beat the living crap out of our cars and try to warranty it! :laugh: Output shafts, driveshaft bolts shearing, axles snapping... Sticks aren't gentle. We were the test bed for the massive drivetrain improvements in the ZL1.

Now, personally... I'm not a big manual fanboy... I do enjoy driving it, and I've always had more fun in manual cars, but auto's are coming a long way and I like what I'm starting to see...

That being said... I don't think the ZL1 is going to lose many sales based solely on the fact that it doesn't have an auto option. People seriously interested in this car will still buy it. Chevy knows this... Z06, ZR1, GT500, and even the older 03/04 Terminators are just a few examples.

By the way.. the point of this thread was getting an auto in the ZL1... not which transmission is manlier.

THE EVIL TW1N 02-11-2011 12:39 PM

well, im sure GM has access to a crapload of statistics and such of REAL BUYERS of vehicles in the demographic the ZL1 is aiming for. I don't think GM made this decision at random.

radz28 02-11-2011 03:38 PM

These sh*tty posts are going to stop now! I'm not talking to all those I deleted, because most were quotes of the initial one, but it's real sh*tty to post what I've read. KNOCK IT OFF.

For everyone else who commented - I'm sorry for deleting, but I couldn't stand to leave that crap up there.

radz28 02-11-2011 03:51 PM

DO YOU REALLY THINK GM IS GOING TO TAKE SOME OF THE RUBBISH IN THIS THREAD SERIOUSLY? Get real and grow up. If you can't act like an adult, post somewhere else. Honestly - I've read teenagers here that act better than a couple of you.

GTAHVIT 02-11-2011 04:10 PM

:D

Radz... You inspire me.

I took out some more trash...

Lets try this thread again.

Oh and if you want to bicker about the size or your shifter (auto or manual) take it to PM's.

radz28 02-11-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2829458)
:D

Radz... You inspire me.

I took out some more trash...

Lets try this thread again.

Oh and if you want to bicker about the size or your shifter (auto or manual) take it to PM's.

:laughabove::clap::drinking::respekt:

mpate16 02-11-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 2829380)
DO YOU REALLY THINK GM IS GOING TO TAKE SOME OF THE RUBBISH IN THIS THREAD SERIOUSLY? Get real and grow up. If you can't act like an adult, post somewhere else. Honestly - I've read teenagers here that act better than a couple of you.

Haha that's great..... Back on subject though I would like a auto so I can cruise around playing with the radio and not have to shift every minute

Alain 02-11-2011 04:18 PM

wow

heavyt100 02-11-2011 04:31 PM

Thank you, mods!

FastEddie 02-11-2011 04:44 PM

I'm sorry I feel so strongly about certain things and it conflicts with other forum members sensibilities. I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't feel valid. I was good natured throughout my posts, and never disrespected anyone. You guys should get your AUTO ZL1 (and then stage with me in my manual -lol). GM will make more money and spread more smiles amongst their customers. I just feel that it would water down a "stiff drink" of a car (if they aren't making many of them). Radz28 is an awesome moderator (keep taking out the trash ;) I will attempt to be less provocative, IF I ever post again.

radz28 02-11-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastEddie (Post 2829613)
I'm sorry I feel so strongly about certain things and it conflicts with other forum members sensibilities. I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't feel valid. I was good natured throughout my posts, and never disrespected anyone. You guys should get your AUTO ZL1 (and then stage with me in my manual -lol). GM will make more money and spread more smiles amongst their customers. I just feel that it would water down a "stiff drink" of a car (if they aren't making many of them). Radz28 is an awesome moderator (keep taking out the trash ;) I will attempt to be less provocative, IF I ever post again.

It's all in the delivery. I, and almost everyone else, encourage comments and opinions, but delivery is about the most important aspect.

FastEddie 02-11-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 2829670)
It's all in the delivery. I, and almost everyone else, encourage comments and opinions, but delivery is about the most important aspect.

Well then in that case: Take my auto........PLEASE!" (Ba-dum-bum-chik!) :sm0: Ok I'm done you guys are great, and make sure to tip your waitresses!

nick at night 02-11-2011 06:37 PM

To me the Camaro is more than just a sports car or a muscle car.

It's the every-mans supercar. I can't look my wife in the face and seriously say that I want a ZR1, she would laugh at me.

The Camaro has always been more than just a track car or a drag car or a daily driver or a grocery getter, it's all those things all at once.

I want my ZL1 to drive straight fast, corner just as fast, pick up the kids, get the groceries, sit in traffic, and do it all while putting a smile on my face,

If I wanted a track only car I could spend a lot less money for a shell and build my own to beat up at a track.

I want an automatic ZL1

ZL1... The every-mans supercar

DGthe3 02-11-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

The SS is offered with an auto, that didn't seem to stop you from ordering one. Why would it be different with the ZL1?

Apex Motorsports 02-11-2011 07:29 PM

For me to buy one it will have to be available with an auto. I would be buying it because it would be a serious performer I could drive daily and I don't want to row gears on a daily basis. That is what weekend toys are for. Based on the test mule photos I would be shocked if the auto isn't available though.

CynAgain 02-11-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick at night (Post 2830057)
To me the Camaro is more than just a sports car or a muscle car.

It's the every-mans supercar. I can't look my wife in the face and seriously say that I want a ZR1, she would laugh at me.

The Camaro has always been more than just a track car or a drag car or a daily driver or a grocery getter, it's all those things all at once.

I want my ZL1 to drive straight fast, corner just as fast, pick up the kids, get the groceries, sit in traffic, and do it all while putting a smile on my face,

If I wanted a track only car I could spend a lot less money for a shell and build my own to beat up at a track.

I want an automatic ZL1

ZL1... The every-mans supercar

Exactly! I want a gnarly ZL1 and I'm going to name her Gretchen! I'll take her factory and my husband won't be able to drive it because he can't drive a stick. :sm0:

Seriously, though, we have two Camaros, an auto and a stick. While I love rowing gears, I completely understand the want and need for an automatic.

GM's not stupid. They want and need us to feast on their products to keep the ball rolling. Give it time. :respekt:

AngryAmish 02-11-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2824882)
So according to your logic if Ford & Chevy offered auto GT500s and Z06/ZR1s they could double their sales?

Just wondering what qualifications makes the Vette a sports car and the Camaro a muscle car.

In most cases...not all mind you...the differance between a sports car and a muscle car/pony car is one extra zero. ;)

And LOL PQ!! Add laserdiscs, beta, and HD-DVD to that list. ;)

SUX2BU 02-12-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 2830201)
The SS is offered with an auto, that didn't seem to stop you from ordering one. Why would it be different with the ZL1?

The guy i was responding to said he would still buy one if it was auto only. That would be a deal breaker for me. If the SS was only offered in auto i wouldn't have ordered one.

DGthe3 02-13-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2832692)
The guy i was responding to said he would still buy one if it was auto only. That would be a deal breaker for me. If the SS was only offered in auto i wouldn't have ordered one.

ah, I see. Never mind then.

Mr. Wyndham 02-13-2011 02:25 PM

I guess this just goes to show you the power of perception and attached values...

It gets Camaro enthusiasts, normally cordial, hot blooded over how the ZL1 will put its 550+hp to its 305 tires! :laugh: