Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   We want all season tires for the SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8597)

JJ#48Racing 11-18-2008 07:10 PM

You want all season tires for 2-3 days a year. Why would you sacrafice performance on 362 days, for 3 days? Buy a set of steelie wheels and real snow tires, they will be much better than all seasons anyway.

SS4EVER 11-18-2008 07:56 PM

So my old man test drove a Camaro 2SS (auto) last night. Mainly because it's his job... lol And he definitely was having a hard time keeping the Camaro going straight last night. Granted he said the entire GM Milford Proving Grounds had black ice on it so that didn't help.

But after his evaluation with the Camaro SS he did put this in his evaulation.
1.) He thinks that the FE3 suspension is a little too stiff for every day driving.
2.) He thinks the Camaro could use wider tires as well.

He said it was fast though! :)

As far as the whole thing regarding buying all season/winter tires and then new rims goes. You're better off going on craigslist and buying yourself a winter beater...

CoolSS 11-19-2008 11:42 AM

I've already got my Monte w/ Blizzaks for a daily driver and my '86 GMC K3500 with studs for when it really gets nasty and trust me it can. But, that doesn't mean I don't want to take my Camaro out for some winter fun on the better days. When there's snow and ice on the road winter tires make a huge difference; much better than all seasons and way way better than summers. I really don't see what the big deal is. If you live in the south or you'd just rather not drive your hot rod in the winter; that's great. As for me, I like to have fun in the winter too. I am not a collector, I want to drive her and I want to drive her hard... :)

Rogue Leader 11-19-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing (Post 194862)
You want all season tires for 2-3 days a year. Why would you sacrafice performance on 362 days, for 3 days? Buy a set of steelie wheels and real snow tires, they will be much better than all seasons anyway.

Steelie wheels... with 14 inch brembos all around? Everyone seems to underestimate what the cost of just the wheels will be for this endeavor, before the tires.

Belo 11-19-2008 11:48 AM

You wont die in those 2 days of snow in summer tires. I've driven with Bridgestone Potenza's in snow when it dropped ealier then expected here in Buffalo.

I was cautious and I didn't even get a scare.

CoolSS 11-19-2008 11:57 AM

EGADS!!!

1 Attachment(s)
My poor car...

Attachment 11050

Just kidding. Thought you might get a kick out of it.

zforce 11-19-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 165376)
Anyone with me? It snows maybe 2-3 days a year here. I DO NOT want to spend $1300 on a set of rims and tires for 2 days of snow. I understand the reason for Ultra High performance summer tires being standard on the car, but GM should at least offer the option of a tire such as the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S which is an Ultra High Performance All Season Tire. Anyone with me?

hell no! get real, for someone who had GN, a vette all in between is complaining about a $1300. maybe you shouldn't own a car of this caliber if you can't aford it. stay with your find on craglist.

Rogue Leader 11-20-2008 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zforce (Post 196218)
hell no! get real, for someone who had GN, a vette all in between is complaining about a $1300. maybe you shouldn't own a car of this caliber if you can't aford it. stay with your find on craglist.

Oh boy looks like I made an enemy. :readthethread: Theres a lot more to it buddy. Theres a big difference between "affording it" and pissing money into the wind.

Be careful, your brakes might forge together while you're driving too hard!

TomServo 11-20-2008 08:27 AM

Why can't we have an option like they offer on the vette??? If GM is going to sell a car for use in all 50 states or possibly oversea's (read in all weather conditions) you'd think they would offer two tire choices. I don't need advice to buy "snow tires" on a $35K car.

It's these oversights that make GM look goofy.

Barry626 12-19-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 165376)
Anyone with me? It snows maybe 2-3 days a year here.

Not being rude but only 2-3 days u could stay home or get picked up?
There are years we got 30 snow storms here but usually only 5-10?
I still would prefer "All Season" myself. Summer tires won't move 1/2 inch of snow.

Barry626 12-19-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 189444)
If i am gonna jam a second set of wheels in there they will have race tires as I spend more time doing that per year than driving in the snow.

Don't do this because no matter how good a driver u are, u will get killed!
Summer tires "Cannot" be driven not even on a 1/2 inch of snow.
Since it doesn't snow often where u live? just get a ride or cab when it does!

djsnoflake 12-19-2008 12:20 AM

I know that some people can't afford/ don't want a winter beater, but I won't be driving mine in the winter. And if I WAS gonna, I would spend the extra money and get some actual winter tires. All season tires may as well be called NO season tires. They have crap grip in rain or mud, turn into rocks as soon as it gets to freezing, and most importantly: All seasons get put on Buicks.
You spent the money for a performance car, spend some money to get performance tires. It's like buying a rocket ship, and then wearing a tinfoil suit and a fishbowl on your head instead of a space suit.

Rogue Leader 12-19-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry626 (Post 220874)
Not being rude but only 2-3 days u could stay home or get picked up?
There are years we got 30 snow storms here but usually only 5-10?
I still would prefer "All Season" myself. Summer tires won't move 1/2 inch of snow.

Problem is what if I'm already at work and it starts snowing?

trm0002 12-19-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 220978)
Problem is what if I'm already at work and it starts snowing?

Public transportation. BUS.