Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The replacement key question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377657)

Baba 09-18-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabes253 (Post 7955659)
Sorry if its been posted, am on the road and cant easily search.

Chevy is telling me I have to go with the 2 key set up, 1 to open my car and 1 to start my car..

I think this is retarded, is there any way through, writing corporate or negotiating or heck, even paying (though I dont believe I should have to) to make Chevy replace the key with another switchblade key that does not have the same issues?

Definitely loses the cool factor having a useless switchblade.

I was at my selling and servicing dealer yesterday to get a hand wash and dry and vacuum. Also had them look at my passenger side windshield washer nozzle as the spray seems to be hitting the wiper arm. When they took the car in, they were automatically going to do the key recall without telling me. I mentioned it to the service manager and referenced the possible 2-key replacement based your post as well as the "waiver" many folks here have mentioned.

There is NO 2-key replacement. It's a one-key-fits-all replacement. The only way one gets 2 keys is when you bring in two FOB's.

There is NO "waiver" to actually physically sign. They marked it in the computer as me declining the recommended recall repair.

BEWARE when you take your Camaro in for any service if you do NOT want the key recall performed - my dealer was going to do it automatically without informing me beforehand. I like my FOB's. Thanks to the forum, I'll be keeping them. :thumb:

Scott 78 09-18-2014 03:23 PM

When I picked up my new 14 it already had the key seperated from the fob. It was easy to fix that. I heated up the new plastic piece on the key and the metal slid right out. Then I put it into the switch blade and secured it with a new roll pin. Hardest part was cutting down the roll pin with out scratching my fob.

JD's 45th 09-18-2014 03:43 PM

Took mine in today for an issue I have with the top. I immediately told them don't touch my keys. They said they don't change it out unless you want it changed. There are no forms to sign. I had also asked my insurance company (State Farm) about this and they will not deny a claim. I come no where near the key to bump it.

CamaroCracka 09-18-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajagfan (Post 7958121)
I have thought about doing this. Will they let you?

tell them you lost the other, what can they do? refuse to do the recall because you lost a key. Make you buy a switchblade key to destroy.

dmginc 09-18-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benji276289 (Post 7956802)
I've tried to replicate the problem in my car. There is no possible way I even come close to my knee hitting the fob. The best I could do with the car parked and no seat belt on is coming within one inch of my knee touching and still not able to turn it off. I suppose some one with unusually long legs and in a driving position with their chest touching the steering wheel could possibly accomplish this but I am not physically capable. I will keep my switchblade thank you.

I have tried this too and I can't see my knee ever coming in contact with the key, most I could do was hit my thigh on the wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickwithaustin (Post 7956940)
There are people who say that we never landed on the moon also. Do you always listen to what some people are saying?

but it was on the internet so it has to be true...:der:

Wizard1183 09-18-2014 04:01 PM

Well, Im 5'8" and Im not returning my keys for a key chain. I got the recall statement, read it, and threw it in the trash. I have no problems with my original keys.

Avgas 09-19-2014 01:33 PM

I had the recall done yesterday, I told them to leave my key fobs alone. They programmed the 2 new keys and attached them to the 2 old key fobs. I now have 4 keys that work in my car. The process took about 20 min or so. No issues with the dealer at all.

Rocky1974 09-20-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabes253 (Post 7955659)
Sorry if its been posted, am on the road and cant easily search.

Chevy is telling me I have to go with the 2 key set up, 1 to open my car and 1 to start my car..

I think this is retarded, is there any way through, writing corporate or negotiating or heck, even paying (though I dont believe I should have to) to make Chevy replace the key with another switchblade key that does not have the same issues?

Definitely loses the cool factor having a useless switchblade.

It you have the recall done, the same key that opens the door will start the car.
The only thing that they are going to do, is remove the actual key from the switchblade FOBs and give you separate keys.
If you don't want it done, you don't have to negotate with or pay anyone. Just don't have it done.
And no, GM wil not replace your switchblade key with another switchblade that does not have the problem. GM considers the fact that it is a switchblade to be the problem.

nickster127 09-20-2014 11:22 AM

From what i have seen the key recall just takes out the flip key from our fobs and gives us an old style loose key. I never heard anything about two keys, i do not believe that is true. Usually now a days the key is universal. i have an appointment for my key recall next friday (9/26) so i will try and keep you posted on what happens.

I have a 2014 LT, so it should be the same for what you drive

Heaven_is_inferno_orange 09-20-2014 11:30 AM

GM Technician here. We order you a set of new keys -usually 2, but if you only have 1 then you get 1. When they arrive you come back in and we take a tool and knock the roll pin out of your existing FOB where the existing key is held into place. The old key portion is then tagged and sent back to GM and you are given the Fob and the new key.
-btw I already exclaimed my love for my keys as is and they too shall not be changed. :D

garyw 09-20-2014 03:54 PM

my 2014 came with the recall done to the keys. Today, i went to the hardware store, got a 1/16" pin. Cut the key out of the plastic and reinserted it back into the fob, pressed the pin in and i now have a switchblade key.

Kannedheat 09-20-2014 10:53 PM

I'm keeping my switchblade; GM can keep their replacement keys.:smm7:

Low Saturn 09-21-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladinjc (Post 7956162)
After reading this thread I am even less sure what to do. I got the recall notice two days ago.

Its very, very easy.

Go out to your car, start it and sit in your normal driving position. Can you turn off the ignition with your knee? If no, shred the recall notice and go on with your daily life like so many of us already have. If yes, take your car in for the recall and consider yourself an extremely rare person that can contort your body that most gymnasts or circus performers cant.

Cheveey57 09-21-2014 12:30 PM

File the recall notice under G